Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which Wireless Broadband Modem???

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Complete Novice, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Complete Novice

Complete Novice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have recently transferred from Dial Up to Broadband and, as we have two PC's, we want to be able to allow two people to use both at the same time, including being on the internet.

Could anyone give me some advice as to what is the best thing to use in order to do this? We thought wireless would be best as, at present, the two PC's are in seperate rooms and I don't really want anymore wires in this house!!!

As we are not flush at the moment the price is also a big issue. :thumbsup:

2. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have and recommend the Netgear DG834G. Amazon are selling it for £69.99. Not the fastest pc to pc but very reliable.

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i used to have a netgear router but it was really difficult to setup p2p downloading, as you need to change the ports. i now have the bt 1250 wireless router which i got from ebay for £40. bit of a bargain and works fine. it cuts out once in a while but i think thats cause im using aol on a bt modem.

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    I'd recommend the Netgear too.. :smashin:

I've had one myself, installed quite a few for mates, and never had a problem with one so far.

They come with a removable antennae (?) too, which can be a godsend if you do have wireless problems, as a <£10 upgrade can save the day.

It comes with a very secure firewall, nothing will get past unless you allow it, hence the initial config required to get P2P software working..

From experience the 3com and Linksys versions of the same device are both spot on too, but overall I'd always go for the Netgear.

5. Complete Novice

Complete Novice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please tell me how these things work. Does someone have to be using the PC and connected to the internet which has the modem attached to it before the other PC with the signal box can be used or can they be used at different times?

6. sput2001

sput2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Nope. If you've set it up correctly then each PC will have independent access to the internet. Both PC's will be connected directly to the router/modem (either wired or wirelessly) so, as far as internet access is concerned, it won't really matter to one PC what the other is doing, or even if it's switched on.

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered myself a ZyXEL 662HW as I need something rock solid reliable and robust

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/Products.32+B6JnR4X1p5WEVMcHJvZHVjdHNfcGkxW3Nob3dVaWRdPTg1JmNIYXNoPWI0NWJjMzdiYzM_.0.html

it may be a bit OTT for home use - the 660HW is much cheaper and worth a look
    http://www.zyxel.co.uk/Products.32+B6JnR4X1p5WEVMcHJvZHVjdHNfcGkxW3Nob3dVaWRdPTcxJmNIYXNoPTc1NmU4YjAwNDE_.0.html

Out of the more household names I'd go for Belkin or Buffalo as these are the only other manfacturers I having had grief with their wireless kit withl and what ever you do contemplate LinkSys (100% return rate with them) utter utter cr@p

8. sput2001

sput2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Both my router and wireless adaptor are LinkSys 54G's, and I've not had a second's trouble out of either of them.

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Strange. Linksys are cisco's budget line and have always been great quality products with exemplary support from my expeirience so i'm sorry to hear you had problems.

On the other hand my expierience with belkin wireless routers and a lot of other belkin products have been bad. Constant dropping of the line and poor customer support form their indian call center. The one exception being the N50 game controller which is superb.

10. Complete Novice

Complete Novice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, now you have given me an idea of what to buy and how it all works, how do we know if one of our computers is USB 1 or USB 2 or doesn't it matter? :(