1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which widescreen camcorder from these?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cerebros, Jan 8, 2005.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Having prevaricated over buying a camcorder from last time I looked into this, I'm now in a position where I might be able to put more money towards the purchase, so a widescreen model would be prefered.

Having a quick look round the net, I've come up with 4 cameras that are (just about) within my potential budget:

Canon MVX200i (best price found £454)
    Canon MVX250i (best price found £455)
    Sony DCR-HC40 (best price found £418)
    Sony DCR-PC109 (best price found £455)

Last time round I did briefly consider the HC40, but from a few posts I've read around the 'net, I understand that there's a problem with them recording the noise of the tape mechanism, which means I'm probably going to count it out this time (unless anyone can inform me of any compelling reason to go with it or that the tape mechanism noise thign is a myth). The PC109 appears to be exactly the same spec as the HC40, just in a different body but for some reason costs the best part of £40 more.

Of the two Canon's, both score over the Sony's in having larger zoom ranges, and also (going by the specs on the website) constant f1.8 aperture on the lens, rather than f1.8-2.3 of the Sony's. The MVX250i would appear to be the better of the two as the minimum illumination it can handle is 0 Lux compared to 1.5 on the MVX200i (I've no idea how big a deal that is in real terms, never having used a camcorder before and so not knowing how much a camcorder will "see" at 1.5 or 0 Lux).

So the way I see it at the moment, unless anyone can tell me different from experience using these cameras (since I can't find any reviews of any of these models on the camcorder websites i know of), the MVX250i is my machine if my budget does stretch that far.

Any advice?

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You could always get an extrenal mike

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How much does a reasonable external mike cost? If it's much more than £20 I might as well go the Canon route anyway considering the comparative specs, although I must admit I'm not sure how much use the long end of the zoom would get.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have a look at Jessops