Which Wide Angle Lens for Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by tadaska, Aug 31, 2017.

1. tadaska

tadaska
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Canon Vixia HF R700 and I want to buy a wide angle lens for it. I'm in the UK (bought this camcorder from Canada) and I'm struggling to find a wide angle lens in the UK. All that comes up are cheap lenses from China. I also noticed there are lenses that cost $$$ and the ones from China are about £10-15. What should I buy? I don't want to spend too much but I don't want a lens that will make my videos look crap too. I don't know anything about it. Basically any advice that will help me make the choice is welcome. Also, will any 43mm WA lens fit my camcorder?

CVheers!

2. Emerton

Emerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Iv'e tried a couple of cheap ones and they are not too bad at all. Some chromatic aberration is noticeable in some circumstances, but they have enabled me to get the whole orchestra/choir in shot on a few occasions without any obvious flaws. I guess best practice is to have one handy and only use it when you have to. That's not to say they don't vary and I'm sure you could be unlucky and get a right turkey! Keep the packing tidy and return it if you are disappointed.

3. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Way to Go!:thumbsup: I use a Neewer 0.45x Super Wide Angle with a 49mm mount. It uses Japanese optics, probably the same as my camera. I do need to zoom in slightly to avoid vignetting but otherwise it works perfectly.

4. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Even an inexpensive lens may deliver enough quality, because it's difficult to see what you are looking at. Any very-wide shot includes so much more distraction it may be difficult to see anything interesting.
    The viewer needs some indication of what is important, as you know - by focus, brightness or just holding-the-shot on some aspect. However, they are distorting due to the optical width . . . so some care is needed in filming anything that has straights - esp. near the edges.
    So, if this WA is as an "Establishing shot" it may be good enough. Alternatively, if you pan the scene slowly you'll cover the same view- but without any risk of distortion -or- the time taken to attach, etc.
    The pan may take marginally longer to deliver, but this time allows the viewer to take account of people moving about, etc. with greater clarity, since they are seen longer/larger.

Another aspect of WA lens is that just as it gives "More Width" - it also increase the height and this could include extra lighting that would not otherwise show . . . this will likely affect the exposure, making the more-interesting detail that much darker.
    + I have one of a similar super WA and frankly it never gets used . . . It's not in the kit-bag, .....although perhaps it should be - as you can unscrew the front-lens and get a very powerful CU lens ( about 10x claimed), should you need to film postage stamps.
    However, most movie-cameras are good with close-ups, so I guess I've not thought to use it. I recall it has an odd-size mounting thread, requiring some adaptor..... but maybe now they come in all popular sizes.

5. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    A wide angle lens is almost mandatory for indoor shots especially when modern rooms are so small. When you look at the house buying programmes on TV, the use of a wide angle lens is so obvious.
    The Neewer lens also splits to give a macro lens for close up but, as my camera focusses down to a few inches, I hardly use that bit of the lens on its own.