• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which wide angle for EOS 550D?

videonastie

Established Member
I am looking to purchase a good wide angle lens & the two I had in mind are the....

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM

Now both get good reviews, but the Canon is nearly £300 more than the Sigma, is this lens really worth it & what would people recommend? :confused:

eduk

Distinguished Member
I am looking to purchase a good wide angle lens & the two I had in mind are the....

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM

Now both get good reviews, but the Canon is nearly £300 more than the Sigma, is this lens really worth it & what would people recommend? :confused:

I like my Sigma. Have you also considered the excellent Sigma 8-16mm?

shotokan101

Banned
What about Tokina ? - good reputation and they do both an 11-16mm F2.8 and a 12-24mm F4 ?

Jim

RobDickinson

Prominent Member
I have a sigma 10-20f4.5-5.6

Its OK. I'm not as happy with it now I have a 7D and a 17-55. Seems to lack (corner)sharpness and a certain pop vs the canon.

I will sell it on and probably buy an 8-16 or tokina 11-16f2.8 .

One reason not to buy the 8-16 is its round front element preventing normal filter use.

senu

Distinguished Member
The Tokina are affordable and fine FTMm is fine but by no means absolutely essesntial

Dr O

Established Member
Would the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM be fine for the 550D?

I know its not as wide as the Tokina/Canon, but it gets superb reviews...

HTC Desire using AVForums

While the 17-40 is a pretty good lens it's not wide on a crop camera like the 550D.

So, it depends if you want a wide angle lens or not.

UWA lens choice is Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 12-24, Sigma 10-20 in that order for a canon crop. Not much more can be said.

Or buy a 5D and abandon EF-S lenses:D

videonastie

Established Member
Dr O said:
While the 17-40 is a pretty good lens it's not wide on a crop camera like the 550D.

So, it depends if you want a wide angle lens or not.

UWA lens choice is Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 12-24, Sigma 10-20 in that order for a canon crop. Not much more can be said.

Or buy a 5D and abandon EF-S lenses:D

Thanks for the info bud.

RobDickinson

Prominent Member
17-40L is an ace lens on full frame.

It makes a good lens on crop as a 'walkabout' but realy doesnt make sense when you compare it to the 17-55f2.8IS, unless you need weathersealing.

senu

Distinguished Member
17-40L is an ace lens on full frame.

It makes a good lens on crop as a 'walkabout' but realy doesnt make sense when you compare it to the 17-55f2.8IS, unless you need weathersealing.

Correct for for decent wide angle though a UWA is best
Saying that much as I love my Tokina 12-24 it get less use than the 17-50 walkabout

eduk

Distinguished Member
Do any of these wide angle lenses provide good portrait quality to that of the Canon 50mm?

Not the 10-20mm ones, no. Far too wide.

RobDickinson

Prominent Member
Portraits with a 10-20ish lens are quite interesting, but of very limited use.
They distort a lot, exaggerate perspective massively, even at f2.8 your not looking at that shallow a DOF.

There probably isnt a lens type more poorly suited to portraits.

videonastie

Established Member
Thanks for everyone's info, but after all this research I'm thinking about purchasing a walk-around instead, as the price of the Canon limits me to just wide angle & my budget isn't limitless..

I've got my eye on the Canon 24-105mm. I know this lens is predominately made for full frame DSLR's, but I have read some excellent reviews about this camera when connected to any Canon camera??

senu

Distinguished Member
Thanks for everyone's info, but after all this research I'm thinking about purchasing a walk-around instead, as the price of the Canon limits me to just wide angle & my budget isn't limitless..

I've got my eye on the Canon 24-105mm. I know this lens is predominately made for full frame DSLR's, but I have read some excellent reviews about this camera when connected to any Canon camera??

If you can live with 24mm as the widest focal length it is very well sorted L lens but not universally loved by APS-C users
What do you have ?
The Canon 15-85 is a walkabout.. not cheap
The Canon 18-135 is a walkabout , not unworthy but wont give any of the better lenses a scare
The 17-55 is probably the best EF-S Canon walkabout but it is costly, the Tamron and Sigma alternatives are well worth a look

Last edited:

videonastie

Established Member
If you can live with 24mm as the widest focal length it is very well sorted L lens but not universally loved by APS-C users
What do you have ?
The Canon 15-85 is a walkabout.. not cheap
The Canon 18-135 is a walkabout , not unworthy but wont give any of the better lenses a scare
The 17-55 is probably the best EF-S Canon walkabout but it is costly, the Tamron and Sigma alternatives are well worth a look

I've just sold my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di, its a good lens, but I didn't feel I was getting that quality I wanted. When reading so many reviews, it can mess with your mind:suicide:

senu

Distinguished Member
I've just sold my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di, its a good lens, but I didn't feel I was getting that quality I wanted. When reading so many reviews, it can mess with your mind:suicide:

Although you can do better than the Tamron in absolute terms , Im not sure that you will get better PQ that correlates to cost difference among comparable lenses
I think the Tamron is at least averagely 90% optically as good as the Canon 17-55 which is twice its cost, and in some focal lengths nearer 100% stopped down

To be sure Unlike the Canon it doesn't have "L"glass, IS , USM ( hunts less and is fast and quiet) and build is better on the Canon but image "quality" Im struggling to imagine a "chalk and cheese" "difference" TBH
Its worth being a bit circumspect with with reviews , Context import and everything can be bettered..but what does that mean in the real world?

Last edited:

videonastie

Established Member
Although you can do better than the Tamron in absolute terms , Im not sure that you will get better PQ that correlates to cost difference among comparable lenses
I think the Tamron is at least averagely 90% optically as good as the Canon 17-55 which is twice its cost, and in some focal lengths nearer 100% stopped down

To be sure Unlike the Canon it doesn't have "L"glass, IS , USM ( hunts less and is fast and quiet) and build is better on the Canon but image "quality" Im struggling to imagine a "chalk and cheese" "difference" TBH
Its worth being a bit circumspect with with reviews , Context import and everything can be bettered..but what does that mean in the real world?

Thanks for your opinion, much appreciated.

I'm gonna have a think.:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom