Which,Why,Where ETC

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Malone, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Right , yes I know its been threaded but all the threads I read seem to invlove complications and PC's and network cards etc etc etc.
    I was lucky enough to get a X Box from my wife for my birthday yesterday so I went straight up the shops with my extra dosh I got and purchased Halo (awsome) Recon (still playing Halo at mo).
    I also purchased the Live kit, however I have no router yet.
    My PC upstairs is connected via a standard BT Broadband Voyager ADSL Modem. I do not want to get network cards etc as its all over my head. So all I want is a piece of kit that will plug into the BT DSL filter which is plugged into a phone socket which is downstairs in the sitting room. This modem/router or whatever it needs to be will have an Xbox plugged into it and possibly a PS2 when its up and officialy running.

But basically I really really want to get online with minimum fuss and as easily and cheaply as possible.
    Somebody help me please
    :) :confused: :suicide: :zonked:

Regards Matt

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

Your Xbox has a network card in it already (not a card as such but the same thing). I don't believe you can plug it into the Voyager modem which I think is USB. So at the mo, you have a phone socket in the sitting room near the Xbox and another upstairs where the modem is, right?

Unfortunately I think you will need to install a network card in your PC (check to see if it's already got a 10/100 port as many do now). It's cheap and easy and most generic 10/100 cards will do fine.

Then you need to either run a long Cat 5 crossover cable from the PC to the Xbox and use internet connection sharing or you need to ditch the BT Voyager and get a Router. The first option is cheaper but means the PC will need to be on to use Live. Also, I'm sure I read that USB modems affect gaming in a negative way.

If you want to go the router route then it's quite easy to set up. You buy an ADSL router (with 4 10/100 ports) and a network card for your PC. You plug the router into the phone socket and have Cat 5 patch cables running from it, to the PC and one to the Xbox. The router is set up using Internet Explorer. The PC and Xbox then use the router as a modem.

There is also the wireless option........

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, I should also add that a router is much more secure. At the moment, unless you are running a firewall, your PC is sitting on the internet like a bullseye. If you have a router, all people can see is the router itself. Computers attatched to it are invisible to the internet as it assigns it's own IP addresses. Also, most have firewalls built in.

I would recommend this option if the PC is left on a lot. At the moment you may be vulnerable to attack from the outside. It does happen and it's not pretty.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hehe, you need a network card...... no two ways about it.... sorry.

:p

5. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Dohhhhhh
    Yeh im fine with home cinema but Generic cards ,PC's,10/100?? etc over me head. I have a Time 450mhz P3 with 128 ram
    This is why I was trying to avoid network cards for PC.
    Can I not get away with a Router/Modem downstairs, isnt the broadband signal coming into all the phone sockets in the house??

Matt

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,158
    Not true.

How about the Belkin USB-Ethernet adaptor?

Quicklinx code 12LSWS from www.dabs.com for £24.67 inc VAT.

I've got one, and its fine.

7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Squiffy if I buy this piece of kit will it it do as ive said plug in downstairs and hey freakin presto im online ??
    As ive said:
    "Can I not get away with a Router/Modem downstairs, isnt the broadband signal coming into all the phone sockets in the house??"

Hellllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppp
    :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :hiya: :hiya:

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you can't have two ADSL modems. If you want two devices to share a connection, you need them to be networked. The USB-Ethernet adaptor mentioned is just a simple way of adding an Ethernet port to your computer.

You could buy one of these and plug it into your PC and then run a long patch lead from it to your Xbox. All you need to do then is get the PC to share it's internet connection with the Xbox.

Alternatively, you could get a router and run a lead from that to the Xbox and one to the PC, using the USB-Ethernet adaptor.

You're going to need to network those two machines somehow.

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,158
    Paiger basically answered this for me.

I'd go for an ADSL modem/router - it gives you a lot more options for the future, including adding a wi-fi access point if you get sick of running cables everywhere.

10. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Right, after a night mulling on it i've come to the conclusion that I'd be better of getting a network card :blush: then all i've got to do is plug my usb modem into the PC and run a x over cable downstairs to the X Box. Yeah I know you've said it but well I think ICS is the easiest way.

Ta Matt

Err forget that, I just had the wife saying "NO MORE WIRES"Inside or Outside!!

So, need a modem/router as my modem is USB and will need a WET11 thingie.
    Is there a Linksys Wireless Modem/Router which is compatible with the XBox and BT Broadband .

XBL say wireless isn't supported and is not listed. Although they no it works and points towards Linksys (but the one without modem)

Jeez you lot make it sound so flippin easy, im pullin my bloomin hair out with there being so many options and kit.

Gotta be wireless/Gotta be modemrouter to replace my USB modem as they have a few probs/Gotta be compatible with BT Broadband and Xbox.

Come on men, of the above criteria which kit is needed!!

Just pretend for one minute your talking to a nonse with no piggin brain:(:rolleyes:

11. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malone,

I have a PS2 Online with cable, so take this advice with the caveat that I haven't got the same environment as you, but I don't see there being a problem.

Get a Wireless Router with a 4 port switch such as:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=87&ShopGroupID=29&Alt=Yes

Plug the ADSL modem in downstairs, connect this into the router using the network cable supplied. Connect the XBox directly to one of the 4 ports with a short network cable (My PS2 kit came with this).

Buy a wireless usb device for your pc et voila.... no cables snaking around the house.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=27&ShopGroupID=3&Alt=Yes

Hope this helps.

James

12. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good solution.

13. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    That looks like an excellent solution, will a USB to Ethernet adapter be needed to connect this router to my Voyager ADSL modem ? Such as the Belkin Adapter on Dabs.com suggested by Squiffy? And does an adapter such as that give the power to the modem through the usb connection as my modem has no power socket itself?

14. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately the USB device from Dabs won't work, it is designed as an interface to a PC as opposed to being a passive device that converts between USB and Ethernet, and I've never seen one of those...

I didn't realise the Voyager was USB only - it is designed for connecting to a single PC, and the routers will always expect an ethernet presentation.

Difficult one, but I suggest trying the router with the built in ADSL modem, (speak to the supplier first to make sure if it doesn't work in your scenario that they will take it back).

If it works, put the voyager modem up for sale to recoup some of the cost.

James

15. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanx for that James I have e-mailed broadbandbuyer regarding the D-Link DSL-604+ 22Mbps Wireless ADSL Router which I assume has a built in modem, if it works it looks like a really good solution.

Thanks again

Matt.........

16. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 604 is fine for what you want. You will need a standard Cat5 UTP patch lead to connect it to the Xbox, not a Xover cable. You want one with RJ45 plugs on both ends, most will have.

I would recommend getting a matching WIfi device for your PC upstairs. So go for a Dlink PCI card or I think they do a USB Wifi device that will be easier to install.

As for suitablility with XBL, most routers I have tried have been fine. Not tried a D-link but it should be OK, maybe have a look on the MS site to see if they are listed.

Have fun.

17. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Eh guess what im not destined to kill and be killed on recon, Halo 2 is becoming a dream rather than reality. The DLink 604 is listed on the do NOT use with XBL I'll have to find another !!

Matt

18. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does say the 604 is fine on the site. I use a Draytek Vigor 2600X which is quite expensive. I think they do a wireless one too. I have also had XBL working on a 3Com ISDN Lan Modem.

I reckon it'll be fine. If you unpack it carefully you can always ask to swap if it doesn't.

20. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks, I emailed broadbandbuyer and they confirmed its Ok. I had looked at the UK site www.xbox.com/uk and it was under the "do not work with xbl" section, still it seems it will be ok, so a 604 is the answer, thanks for everybodies input, I will soon be going live:smashin:

Matt