which white cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rbartlett, Aug 2, 2006.

1. rbartlett

rbartlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guy's

My set up is now (or at least will be)

Linn Classik DI
    5 x single orbs
    1 x orb sub
    panasonic TH42 PE

I need to get as discrete white speaker cable as possible for this set up whilst not compromising quality

possible contenders

QED micro
    IXOS XHS133

Any reasons for not selecting either or possible alternatives welcome

Cheers

Richard

2. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Unless you are sold on having a 'big name' brand, check some of the ebay retailers. They can usually offer higher spec cable at a fraction of the cost. I used to be sceptical about this until I bought an HDMI lead for £15 that was every bit as good as the £100 big name cable that is one of the current critic's favourites. Since then I've needed to replace my 'big name' speaker wire (a snip at £10 a metre) and found a cheap as chips cable (95p a metre) that has worked just as well and had the same general specs (number of strands, purity of the copper, etc). I'd gladly give you the name of the retailer but I had a cock-up with my ebay favourites page and erased a ton of stuff (sorry!). However, five minutes on ebay should find something useful.

One other thing - you don't mention where the wires have to go, but if it's along a skirting board, you might consider getting some white plastic wire ducting (any big DIY store stocks it). I thought it'd look tacky, but once in place you're hard-pressed to notice it (provided you've got white skirting boards, that is!).

3. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16