• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which WD HDD for main PC replacement

sep8001

Prominent Member
Is it for data or os or both? What is your budget?

If you have space and budget have a look at ssd for os and hd for data.

delta_42

Established Member
then don't go for either and get an SSD!

3point14

Established Member
I'd agree with the SSD but 256GB upwards (128gb too small) is out of budget for now.

PC is 4 years old, Q8200 quad core job upgraded to 8GB RAM and a new graphics card but it won'd last forever and my guess is that by the time it is replaced, SSDs will be the norm for O/S and cheap as chips for smaller sizes and thus nigh on standard fayre for new PC builds. I might even be dumping PCs for laptops in any case.

In the end I went with a 500GB WD Caviar Blue for £46 on Amazon. Bullet proof customer service, decent guarantee and cheap with Acronis imaging to transfer current dodgy C: to new drive (well, that is the theory !).

aways987

Established Member
Looking at Internal Desktop Hard Drives Overview I'm not sure whether to go with a new Green for a replacement HDD in a PC or this Blue version ?

Ideas ?

My system now has an SSD for os and programs which seems to be what a lot of people are doing now.

If you can just afford an HDD i would go with WD Black. Don't get blue or green drives as I have heard they are far more prone to failure.

WD Black drives have a 5 year warranty where as Blue/green drives have a 2 year warranty. Sure the black drives are more expensive but I'd rather have that and keep my data safe.

3point14

Established Member
My system now has an SSD for os and programs which seems to be what a lot of people are doing now.

If you can just afford an HDD i would go with WD Black. Don't get blue or green drives as I have heard they are far more prone to failure.

WD Black drives have a 5 year warranty where as Blue/green drives have a 2 year warranty. Sure the black drives are more expensive but I'd rather have that and keep my data safe.

Strange you say that as Amazon posted a 500gb WD Caviar Black the day after I bought the Blue for the same price. I switched to the black and it is in my pc now.

As you say, 5 years guarantee and then it will be SSD all round or the latest technology.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom