Which way to go?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by KinkyAffro, Sep 2, 2007.

1. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Didn't know where to post this (here or Xbox section) so i did both. Mods i've also posted in the 360 section, i hope that's OK (the question in this wii section has a little bit more added though so is slightly different :smashin:)

I have an xbox 360 premium and am about to purchase a wii as well.

I have a 50" Pio 507XD plasma. It has 2 HDMI sockets, both are used already, one for Sky HD, the other for Oppo DVD player.

The xbox 360 premium is connected by component.

When i purchase the wii i believe the best connection method would also be component.

My question is simple really (to any experts or folk that've done it).

Do i buy a component switchbox and run both the wii and 360 premium through that?

or

Do i use the existing component (from the 360) for the wii and trade the premium in for a 360 elite and then buy an HDMI switchbox and run the elite and DVD/Sky HD off it?

Option 2 is obviously more costly but the money side's not a problem.

Just wondered if anyone had any opinions or if i've missed something, what would you do?

(I don't have an amp, suppose i could buy an amp, run all through that :rolleyes:)

Also the Pio is wall mounted and though there is trunking through the wall to where the wii would be positioned its gonna be an awful faf to get the sensor lead through it, probably not worth the fuss and i dont like leads showing. So i was thinking best to get a wireless sensor bar. I've read a few threads about them. Anyone care to suggest which would be the best for me? Here's a link to pics of my set up so you can see what i'm talking about-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5060183&postcount=3049

2. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    Personally if the money side's not a problem then why not buy a new plasma with 3 hdmi ports? Or even get a new amp like the Onkyo 905, 4 in, 2 out, all bases covered then :rotfl:

However if you want to do the sensible thing like me, I recommend heading to Gamestation. They have a Madcatz multiple component cable. Basically one end is the usual red, green, blue (and then white and red for audio) while the other end, splits into three (PS3, Wii and 360). Enabling you to have both consoles connected at the same time via one component :smashin:

They're £14.99, and the 360 end still has an optical out for 5.1 :smashin:

Only thing I will say, the Wii and the 360 will have to be quite close to each other as there is not much give at when the cables splits into 3. Part from that it is all cool.

3. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Thanks Craigy Boy that's really helpful. I didn't even realize the madcatz thing existed :suicide:

Your suggestion about the amp is not as daft as you think (putting the laughing smiley :rotfl:). I seriously might consider it, thanks for the advice on the onkyo i'll look into it.

Unfortunately buying a new plasma with 3 HDMI is daft though :rotfl: :smashin: The 507's only 3 months old, no way i'd get that one past she who must be obeyed!

4. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    It's £1400 quid :eek:

Ya bugger :D

Ok- edit original post "the money side WOULD" be a problem ;)

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    Hey Kinky, good to see you'll be buying a Wii matey:smashin:

I would recommend buying the official Nintendo component cable over any of the 3rd party ones. It is well worth the extra money!

To recommend a switch box solution I used to use this nice cheap(but great quality) manual switch box from playasia. You can connect 3 devices to it, you do need to slide the switch on the box but I couldn't notice any drop in quality at the time I was using one(I was only outputting 480p at that time though so couldn't comment on 720p).

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-120-77-11-49-en-15-component+switch+box-70-3cb.html

6. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    It's cheaper than the Denon equivalent :rotfl:

Two HDMI outputs on amps really bump the price up, and if you don't have a projector then it's probably not needed. If you are serious about an amp, but that price tag puts you off (and I don't blame you) then might be worth taking a look at the Sony 910 amp (around £275, 3 HDMI in, component inputs too, but hear of a few problems upconverting) or a cheaper Onkyo amp than the 905, either the 605 (£400, 2 HDMI in), the 705 (£600, 3 HDMI in) or the 805 (£800, 3 HDMI in), all three have 3 component inputs too. Of course there are many other amps about, but those lot seem to be the current flavour of the month, as they all accept audio over HDMI (good for HD DVD/Blu-Ray), and can upconvert, so you could have both your component inputs outputted via HDMI, and all seem great value :smashin:

7. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Have you not got a VGA input on your TV? I faced this problem when I intergrated a Wii into my setup on Saturday (and I have three HDMI's on my TV). I simply connected my 360 Premium via VGA (much better picture and then upscales DVD's) and put my Wii through component.

Of course, if your TV is 1080P this wont work as the VGA cable will only do 720P - but if your TV is 720P then that is probably the most cost effective solution.

8. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hiya Tetlee, I did actually have one before mate.
    The day they first came out back before christmas. I was one of those nutters that queued all through the night waiting for the ONE delivery to south yorkshire. Local radio said there was an Asda lorry on its way with 100 consoles on board. I was 8th in the queue of about 300 people :rotfl: :eek:
    So the kids got what they wanted for xmas, we thought it was absolutely fantastic but then the 360 was bought and that took over and no one seemed to play the wii anymore. Since they were still in high demand and difficult to get hold of i sold it at a small profit :devil:

We've all missed it though so i thought i'd buy another one :thumbsup: Thing is my whole av set up has changed since the first one, hence me needing to ask these questions.

9. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Thanks for the suggestion Gibb but vga isn't an option. I don't know if you looked at the pics of my set up?

I didn't run a vga cable through the trunking in the wall from screen to unit, my bad :suicide: :lesson:
    There is string in the trunking buried in the wall but to run a cable now would mean taking that 50"er off the wall again....:eek:
    No thanks, not for the sake of a wii ;) Switchbox using existing cabling or new amp is the way to go :smashin:

10. Icm76

Icm76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
  11. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Yep thanks Icm76. I think i've pretty much decided to knock the xbox 360 elite by hdmi route on the head. The step up isn't enough to warrant the cost.
    Therefore it'll definitely be a case of component sharing and the JS-tech box in your link was the exact one i was looking at. I've been researching it and it gets nothing but rave reviews everywhere.

12. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    Was going to recommend the same as a higher quality alternative but couldn't find the thing, used to be in an advert at the top of this forum:rolleyes:

13. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Kinky, I use one of those switchboxes and thoughly recommend it, I've even used splitters to add a 3rd appliance with no problems