Which walls are the most important to have dark/black? Also, any temporary screening ideas welcome.

Tyler Durden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been considering an upgrade to my Epson EH-TW7300 projector but I'm thinking of treating the room to some improvements instead.
At the moment, the room is a light apple green and unfortunately I am not able to permanently change this as it is a multi purpose room.
So my idea is to set up some curtains or panels that can quickly take out and put away.
What I want to know is what are the most important walls to be covered and has anyone got any ideas for constructing such things.
Thanks

Last edited:
Depends a lot on your room, how close the projected image is to the boundaries and therefore how much light bounces back into the light path. Front wall least important as light shouldn't hit that much . Still go for dark for overall effect but it won't actually impact the image as such.

If you can side walls and ceiling with velour/MVEL as far as you can. I go out to 2.5m from screen with mine which then covers my entire field of view unless I tilt my head upwards. It's difficult to describe just how much that improves everything. Not just the improvements to the image on screen but also the immersion.

In terms of putting up and taking down I put hooks in the ceiling and side walls and eyelets in the fabric. Takes about 5 mins to set up barely that. Curtains are obviously easier for the sides. Not sure how you would do the ceiling that way.

Given the variety of room shapes and sizes I tend to work on side to side FOV of about 120 degrees and blackout walls, ceiling and floor to that depth.

Not sure I agree about the front wall; tend to prioritise that over all else.

I have been considering an upgrade to my Epson EH-TW7300 projector but I'm thinking of treating the room to some improvements instead.
At the moment, the room is a light apple green and unfortunately I am not able to permanently change this as it is a multi purpose room.
So my idea is to set up some curtains or panels that can quickly take out and put away.
What I want to know is what are the most important walls to be covered and has anyone got any ideas for constructing such things.
Thanks

I bought electric curtain tracks from Amazon (Quoya) and got MVEL22 curtains made. So at a click of two buttons, my side walls and masking for the screen for the sides of the image are in place. Then a few more clicks and the room is back to normal.

Curtains will end up costing £400-£1000.
2x Electric tracks + corners to be able to act as masking + multi channel remote is probably around £400
Install is variable - either free if you DIY or probably a days worth of work for a tradesman because it is quite complex to get right.

The MVEL immersion factor is pretty mental. Once you start, hard to stop.

I bought electric curtain tracks from Amazon (Quoya) and got MVEL22 curtains made. So at a click of two buttons, my side walls and masking for the screen for the sides of the image are in place. Then a few more clicks and the room is back to normal.

Curtains will end up costing £400-£1000.
2x Electric tracks + corners to be able to act as masking + multi channel remote is probably around £400
Install is variable - either free if you DIY or probably a days worth of work for a tradesman because it is quite complex to get right.

The MVEL immersion factor is pretty mental. Once you start, hard to stop.
Wow! That's a good deal of money. Have you got some photos/video?

Wow! That's a good deal of money. Have you got some photos/video?

i didnt think it was too bad TBH mate.. canbe done cheaper, cheap manual track from amazon, get aluminimum if u can will do as good as a job as anything. i just had electric blinds so thought would rather automate it. also my subs are in the way so I'd have to stretch over the deep sub each time to draw the curtain to act as masking

Attachments

• 942B5FE3-E685-4E14-AA4A-E8B22DD96B0E.jpeg
    942B5FE3-E685-4E14-AA4A-E8B22DD96B0E.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 51
  • C6BB0055-8F86-478A-8DF1-24E462CABA79.jpeg
    C6BB0055-8F86-478A-8DF1-24E462CABA79.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 50
Not complete at all yet mate. Going to get 2x magnets attached to over the fireplace top of ceiling to magnetically attached a final bit of spare curtain over there for when I watch a film and want to minimise reflections from that and the fireplace.

Then need to take curtains down and hem them and then hide the track.
curtains arent straight when framing image atm cos i haven't hemmed them so the fabric is just travelling across the ground (and wires).

hiding track either
1. false ceilling
2. pelmet.

I'd rather to a pelmet so I have ablack border there for 16:9 content. then need to install a 4M long blind for the black bar of films electric blind or something. then i need to mount velvet to the ceiling for first 1-1.5M or so, andn then paint the ceiling black and put down a black rug.

ive also put velvet over ALL the devices on the front stage now and put the subs on thehir sides as they look too intimidating standing up. might put some cushions under the MVEL so it can look like a bench/seating.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom