• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Which vinyl / streamer amp combo would you go for?

Are any of these combos clearly a superior choice?

• Yamaha WXA-50 (£330) + NAD pp2e phonostage (£99) = £430 (cheapest option)

• Yamaha WXA-50 (£330) + Rega Fono mkIII phonostage (£200) = £530

• NAD C 316BEE (£300) + Yamaha WXC-50 (£244) = £545 (analog amp option)

• NAD c338 (500) + Neet receiver (£22) = £525 (not heard the best about the phono stage)

• NAD D 3045 (£600) + Neet receiver (£25) = £625 (is this phono stage the same as the 2030?)

• Audiolab 6000A (£600) + Neet receiver (£25) = £625 ((not familiar with this brand at all)

Results are only viewable after voting.

mulberryhouse

Novice Member
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone with some experience of the devices below could offer some way forward via the poll below.

I'm upgrading my amp, and would like to play vinyl and also be able to stream my iTunes library via Airplay. I have a pair of Bronze 2s and a good working Technics SL-DD33.

After a lot of research it seems like no 1 amp can do what I'm looking for:
- vinyl-fronted set up so the phono stage is primary goal
- has Airplay
- needs to have an optical-in for my TV

So it looks like I should get 2 devices to accomplish this, and all work out roughly around the same price once in total.

muljao

Prominent Member
You have a lot of questions posts but seem to be going around in circles. The truth is there's lots of good options and anything you decide on will ultimately have had bad press because everyone gets a dud at times.

The bronze 2s are very easy to drive, I have them and the vol button is never needed to be pushed.

I suggested to you before a Teufal connector as a streamer, it's about 120 pounds and had an eight week money back trial period, why not give it a go. Supplement that with an onkyo a9010 amp and forget about buying a phono preamp, you'd be up and running for less than 320 pounds.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

mulberryhouse

Novice Member
You have a lot of questions posts but seem to be going around in circles. The truth is there's lots of good options and anything you decide on will ultimately have had bad press because everyone gets a dud at times.

The bronze 2s are very easy to drive, I have them and the vol button is never needed to be pushed.

I suggested to you before a Teufal connector as a streamer, it's about 120 pounds and had an eight week money back trial period, why not give it a go. Supplement that with an onkyo a9010 amp and forget about buying a phono preamp, you'd be up and running for less than 320 pounds.

Is the Teufal still available? It looks like it has been discontinued from looking at their site? Also does it do Airplay?

I agree I am going around in circles, but the more you read about hi-fi, the more it puts you off buying anything!

Also funny how the suggestions here, are none of the ones I was looking at based on other people's selections. I know you have to make your own mind up, and there isn't a magical amp out there, but some amps are better in other ways to others, and hoped someone could clear up my predicament.

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
It’s on the specifications tab on the Peter Tyson site which is just a copy and paste from the Yamaha site.

muljao

Prominent Member
If you're not going to try every combo you've probably got to use common sense to sort out your setup. Get a streamer that does airplay and what you need and buy a recommended amp without scouring the net to see if one has blown a fuse plug in Siberia last year

DT79

Distinguished Member
You haven’t said what your ultimate budget is, so even though this may push it, I’ll recommend this for the phono preamp because they’re just beautiful in build and sound:
Headphone amplifiers & DACs

ipodziak

Established Member
Teufel Connector : Buy online at Teufel

Try this one
Is the Teufal still available? It looks like it has been discontinued from looking at their site? Also does it do Airplay?

I agree I am going around in circles, but the more you read about hi-fi, the more it puts you off buying anything!

Also funny how the suggestions here, are none of the ones I was looking at based on other people's selections. I know you have to make your own mind up, and there isn't a magical amp out there, but some amps are better in other ways to others, and hoped someone could clear up my predicament.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom