1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which video card?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Brogan, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I'm currently thinking of buying a Dell 20" TFT monitor: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sn...e&refurbished=&c=uk&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&iCompatid=

This is probably the first step towards upgrading my whole system which is about 4 years old and has an old NVidia GEForce 2 MX card and Win ME.

Can anyone recommend a decentish video card which will suit the Dell monitor and also my Pioneer 504 plasma - hopefully with dual DVI outputs?
    It will need to be compatible with Win ME and an AMD motherboard until I build a new Intel XP system.

I don't use the PC for games, only normal office applications so don't need anything too hefty.

Thanks.

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Brogan, I think dual DVI is generally a feature of only the newest (i.e. expensive) cards. However, if you can find one, I believe Matrox make a G550 card with dual DVI. It'll be between £80 and £100... ish :smashin:

Alternatively, if the VGA and DVI combination would be okay, there are nVidia and ATi options available for £30 and upwards.

For an ATi card, look at the Radeon 9200 series. A particularly nice feature of these cards is that only a heatsink is used for cooling. For once, 'silent cooling' means just that! :cool:

By the way, the equivalent Matrox cards are passively cooled, too :thumbsup:

For nVidia, I think 5200 is the equivalent.

Hope that helps :)

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks Andy.
    I don't need dual DVI but just thought it might be handy for connecting to the monitor and plasma.
    But, as the plasma is connected to the 868 via HDMI then I guess I'm not really going to use it for that anyway.

So, that being the case, I just need something which has DVI and VGA (for monitor and plasma respectively), can drive a 20" TFT and is a step up from my current GE Force MX.

I guess I'll look at the Radeons as that seems to be the choice of most HTPC users.
    Can't believe they can be had for £30.
    Last time I put a system together, it was at least 5 times that for a decent card...

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    that'll be the hype over PCI-Express for you. loads of deals on standard AGP cards, 'cause they're about to bring out a technology that's meant to take a big leap forward for graphics to mobo interface.