1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which video cables.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Mike Freeman, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Mike Freeman

Mike Freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to improve the interconnects on my AV equipment. For example VGA, SVHS, COMPOSITE, COMPONENT. All in short runs of a meter. Is cables from the likes of QED good enough, is it worth the cost of getting Nordost(£200 per meter) or is there better cables out there (ready made) that offer as good or superior quality without the hype at cheaoer cost.
    My budget would except upto nordost prices but if QED is just as good I might as well save a few hundred any response is appreciated. Mike

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I normally recommend buying the raw cable and connectors from Lektropacks or Maplins and diying it. However the intermediate and pro-grade ready mades from lektropacks are similar if not better to the "high-end" names and are a fraction of the price. They'll also do custom lengths.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Good advice. I have sourced what I consider might be one the best video cables around. It is used amongst other systems to connect up the video equipment at Tag (Snell and Wilcox / Vidikron etc, i.e. the best gear). It costs £2.50 per m. You don't need to buy 'designer' cables to get the best performance. A good well made cable will do EVERYTHING you require. Soldering and connectors are very important however. Lectropacks, Keene, Maplin and many good dealer have suitable cables.

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Nic, Please name the cable that you describe.

I realise that the whole debate of expensive cables is a can of worms, but recently I bought a secondhand CableTalk Monitor 3 interconnect for £16 (RRP £50). I use it to connect my CD player to my Rotel amp. I have to be honest and say that it is very difficult to hear any vast difference between that and the freebie cable - but maybe that is just me. I tend to agree with someone on this forum who said recently that one of the advantages of higher priced cables is the build quality. The ends are better terminated and the cable itself is likely to stand up to wear and tear longer (aving said that, what abuse do cables really get behind your system). All down to personal taste I guess.

5. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Ideally, find a friendly dealer who'll lend you various cables - if (s)he wants to make a sale, especially an expensive one, (s)he should be more than happy to do so.

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,
    This is an argument that's as old as the hills. IMHO, I can't tell the difference in sound/vision quality, between a good quality well made cable such as Ixos or QED & the super high end stuff such as Nordost. Of course, that doesn't mean that someone else, with more 'acute' hearing can't.
    I tend towards the idea of keeping your cabling to suite your system. So, even if I couldn't tell the difference, If I were lucky enough to own, lets say, a Meridian system. Then I'd splash the cash on the sooper expensive cables. A: Because it'd be a shame to risk a 'weak link' in such a system. B: If I've got a system like that, I can afford it!
    (Dream on Arthur) :rolleyes: