1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which VGA card?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paiger, Jun 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a semi-redundant PC in my office that I plan to use as a gaming PC/ music server/ DVD player. It has an Asus CUSL2 mobo with a cellery 900 CPU and Gforce2 MX graphics. I don't want to up the CPU as the board will only take a P3 1gig anyway so no point but I am thinking of maybe upping the VGA card.

Now I know the Xbox has a celly 733cpu and super graphics so my CPU should be OK. The question is, would a Radeon 9800 be wasted on this mobo/cpu combo? Will I notice a difference between that and say, a geforce FX5200.

What I'm asking is, will the motherboard not be able to make use of a top range VGA card and am I just as well buying a £50 one or will I still benefit from getting the best card out there?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I reckon you'd be hard pressed to see a difference, bearing in mind what you can get for £50 these days. Maybe it also depends on what 'monitor' you are using. ie I reckon I've got one of the biggest here (fnarr fnarr) a pio.50MXE and my card's now in the £100 range, but not when I bought it. If you are not so lucky, and have only a small to average one, then maybe £50 is enough.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have an upper limit of £150 that I spend on GPU's. This means I can get a pretty decent one at any point, but never one of the silly money top-enders.

If you do go for a Radeon 9XXX the it will be worth loking for an old P3 1Ghz, they should be silly money now, such that it will be worth getting one.

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    im sure one thread in one forum is enough. a r9800 is absolutly a stupid idea for anything less than an athlonxp.

my r9700 and celeron 1.2ghz (it uses the p3 core) got me 8000 points in 2dmark2001. my athlonxp1800 and gf4 440mx got me 6000 points.
    Thats not even 20% faster with the r9700, which proves my point - its a waste of money to go and buy an r9700, let alone an r9800

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, duplicate threads are not permitted.

This looks like a duplicate to me ;)

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.