which vertical resolution?

T

theios

The SONY WEGA 37" has a 1024x1024(interlaced) resolution.
The PANNY VIERA 37" has a 1024x720(inerlaced and progressive).

Could someone explain the difference?
Which one is better?

Thanks

the sony uses a technology called ALIS the panny has the advantage. and for HD the panny has the same vertical res which is another.

phillfyspoon said:
the sony uses a technology called ALIS the panny has the advantage. and for HD the panny has the same vertical res which is another.
:confused:

So an 852 x 480 screen is better than a 1024 x 1024, or 1024 x 768 ?

Hmmm...... don't think so. What resolution are you viewing this at ?

phillfyspoon said:
huh im saying 1024x720 is better then a ALIS 1024x1024 screen.

Why ?

1024x720 matches the vertical res of 720p.
ALiS (alternate lighting of surfaces) alternate rows of pixels are illuminated so that half the panel's pixels are illuminated at any moment, somewhat similarly to interlaced scanning on a CRT-type. ALIS technology doesnt have best black performance also.

I'm presuming that only having to scale the horizontal rows will look better than scaling both, so the Panny wins... I suspect that there's probably some reason why that ain't the case, and of course overscan or zooming in to get rid of black bars will bugger that up too... :)

Which one is better..well thats obvious the one with the better picture quality .After testing both yourself side by side on the sources you use.The technology means squat diddly compared to Picture quality.
I for one am tired of the ALis ---Non Alis argument ...Picture quality is the highest on my list how it is achieved is irrelevant.

I understand that but it seems when using ALIS the contrast suffers I have not seen any screens over 1000:1.

phillfyspoon said:
I understand that but it seems when using ALIS the contrast suffers I have not seen any screens over 1000:1.

I think I'll wait 4 the Panny PV500E.
In UK i't should be out soon (couple of weeks?): I hope the same here i Belgium.
I've already seen the 50E and it looks great, but the 500E dunno: in bot cases a region 1 DVD in progressive scan is 625p right (or so) son on the 50E it has to be downscaled while on the 500E upscaled: what's better I dunno.
Actually I have also a lot of region 2 DVDs, which sould be 480p, and I've read they look better on a 840x480p TV than on a 1024x720p one, because of the perfect match.

So actually I'm not even sure whether 480 or 720 vert res tv is better... :confused:

It really does depend on the plasma's abilty to scale a image. dvd's can look better. Maybe someone who has had a HD 7 series plasma could answer that.

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
Incidentally....R2 Is 576(625) where figure in brackets is total amount of horizontal lines in signal. R1 Is 480(525).

...... which rather shoots a hole in phillfyspoon's argument ! :)

Don't believe all the Google Fights you see :)

Incidentally....R2 Is 576(625) where figure in brackets is total amount of horizontal lines in signal. R1 Is 480(525).

this doesn't invalidate what I'm saynig: with a 480p TV u have to downscale, while with a 720p u have to upscale.

I'm not saying it does or doesn't I'm merely pointing out a factural innacuracy so that anyone reading this doesn't repost what is incorrect.

Gordon

ok :thumbsup:

the problem remains: reg 1 DVD will look better on a 480p because of the perfect matching; what about reg 2 DVD? where will they look better?

Why do you presume that? It's not perfect matching. Have a look at a test disc....bet you your 480P Panel is overscanning the R1 disc and rescaling the active picture content....Using a scaler can solve some of this .....but if you read these forums you'll find that the most consistent results folk get are actually upscaling the 480 or 576 to 720 then letting the panel downscale to it's native resolution.....there is much more to all this than pixel counts.....

Gordon

Why do you presume that? It's not perfect matching. Have a look at a test disc....bet you your 480P Panel is overscanning the R1 disc and rescaling the active picture content....Using a scaler can solve some of this .....but if you read these forums you'll find that the most consistent results folk get are actually upscaling the 480 or 576 to 720 then letting the panel downscale to it's native resolution.....there is much more to all this than pixel counts.....

Gordon

That's what I've read on What Plasma after they compared a reg 1 DVD with a 480p and a 720p TV

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom