1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which version of Star Wars Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by Hawklord, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Sorry if this has been asked before :blush: but is there any difference between the region 1,2 & 3 versions of this series? I'm looking for the best transfer and sound (packaging is not a worry) but if there is no real difference between regions I will obviously purchase the region 2 version so I won't have to worry about customs issues.

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's been asked several times in the "I want my Star Wars boxset now" threads but hasn't been answered yet as the R2 versions are still not here... or so thin on the ground that the people who have them are too busy watching them to post here how good they are :D

As far as I have gathered the R1 and R2 versions seem to be the same (havn't heard anything on the R3). The main question I am waiting to be answered is weather the R2 version has had the 4% pal speedup removed or not :confused:

Regards,
    Iain.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've also heard that some ppl are getting wrong discs in their region two box sets. 2 discs being the same when you play it but labeled differently:(
    Might be worth risking a region 3 as that can be picked up for around £25.

4. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I received my R2 set from Choices Direct this morning

My set was ok - the correct three discs

Cant say Ive noticed the PAL speed up really - I could be wrong though

However - the restoration is superb - and cracking DD soundtrack :clap: :clap: :clap: Nearly worth the wait :rolleyes:

5. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Why nearly mate?

6. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    It was more to do with the amount of time to wait for the release... rather than the quality of the package...

Saying that - the quality of the carboard outer that houses the four amaray cases is a bit poor in comparison with the Indiana Jones Trilogy... However £26.99 opposed to £32.99 probably answers that...

One other observation I have made is that the screen shots on the back of the covers for the Star Wars discs, showing the menu screens, dont match the actual menu screens when you play the discs... the discs show an "options" icon, yet when you play the disc, this says languages instead...

7. Gary Nash

Gary Nash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The menu screens vary between regions - the artwork proabably just shows the R1 version, where 'Options' is used rather than lanuages.
    The R1 scene selections also include descriptive titles, whereas I think the R2 only has a number for each scene (saw a scereen dump a few weeks ago). This is common with a lot of R2 versions of movies.

I prefer to go for R1 because of the latter point (costs more, but in a few months time, when I navigate the menus, cost won't be a factor!) - I've also noticed on other R2 discs that you can't always skip the copyright disclaimer (sometimes at the end of the disc appearing in 13 langauges). These are just minor annoyances and another reason I'll be plumping for the R1 Matrix Set when it is released.

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    the menu screens dont vary between regions - they just show different ones each time you insert the discs - like Ep1 and 2 did.

the chapter names are numbered on screen but listed in the insert. it a cracking set and empire of dreams is really good one of trhe best docs i've seen.

all in all its fab and it only cost me £24 :D

one the down side i've watched the whole thing now :rolleyes:

sound on Jedi is fab.

Gary

9. Gary Nash

Gary Nash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The main menu screens do differ (in as much as the R1 'option' is replaced with 'Languages' for R2).
    I should have specifically stated that the Scene Selection screens are the ones that have descriptive text for R1, and just the numbers for each scene on R2.