1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which version of resident evil 2 apocalyplse?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by 7 of 9, Apr 17, 2005.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is the picture quality like on this film region 3 as i have read some bad reviews about the picture quality on the region 1 version so should i wait for the superbit version as i defantly want dts?

thanks from 7 of 9

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    I just bought the R3 (£7.49 with cd-wow discount links) and I see no problems with picture quality. I would just buy this release, tons of extras and the dts is unreal. I thought the 5.1 on the original was good but this blows it out of the water, proper good use of the rears as well.

3. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    For your info DVD Times gave the Picture Quality 10/10 and Audio 10/10 on the R2, but they scored the R1 PQ 8/10 and Audio 9/10.

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Columbia have stopped filtering detail out of their 2.35:1 releases ? ( assuming its 2.35 )

DVD Times are rather generous with their ratings system :)

5. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    It's 2:40.1 or 2:39.1. In fact the R3 version should have better PQ than any other version, the R1 suffered because it had both a 4:3 and the OAR ratio on disc 1 while the R2 is one disc only so it has all of the bonus material on the one disc. R3 only includes the OAR and has all the bonus stuff on a 2nd disc.

6. TheAvalanche

TheAvalanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well if you want the complete uncut version you will have to get the R2 Geramn release as that features a number of additional bits and pieces - only amounts to around 1 1/2mins extra though.

8. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You want a Hong Kong region 3 copy of resident evil apocalypse because unlike Japanese and Korean versions featuring DTS soundtracks, the Hong Kong version has a Full Bit Rate DTS soundtrack which is absolutely phenomenal. I got mine from CD wow.

9. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the German version that you're talking about is an extended edition which features an extra five minutes of mostly extra violence removed from the theatrical version to get a lower rating. The other versions are the same as the theatrical release and have not been cut.

it's also worth noting that the German DVDs don't have DTS, at least not a English-language DTS soundtrack

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry folks this is a Columbia title which means you will get Resident Evil - Apocalypse - Superbit version followed by Resident Evil - Apocalypse - Unrated extended edition followed by Resident Evil - Apocalypse Unrated extended edition Superbit followed by the 3 disc Resident Evil - Apocalypse collectors box set containing both cuts of the film and a disc full of extras and then sometimes next year you will get Resident Evil - Apocalypse on the blu-ray format, i never buy Columbia films as soon as they are released these days because that company enjoys releasing multiple versions of their films.

11. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    But that one loses all three of the commentaries so the Korean/Jap are still the best package. No point in me having the 6.1 DTS as I only have a 5.1 system, still sounds ace with 5.1 DTS!.

12. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I only have a 5.1 system but who knows down the line I may get a 6.1 system whereas the commentary tracks I might only listen to once if that. Given the trade-off personally I'd rather have a full bit rate 6.1 DTS and loose the audio commentaries. In my opinion that is the best version to go for out of those currently available. :D

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    Does the R1 release really suffer because it has both Widescreen and Fullscreen on the same disc?
    I have the film and thought the quality wasent bad and because DVD9s can fit around 4 hours on them I assumed there wouldnt be much trouble fitting two 90mins on a single disc.

14. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I've got the R1 and the R2 Japanese versions - the R1 isn't THAT bad really, but it's not as good as the Japanese.

Having said all that - not a single version will change the fact that a) the movie IS bad and b) the Nemesis is still a bloke in a hokey rubber suit.

15. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

Sorry m8 but your wrong the German dvd has a number of extra bits added to it that are NOT in the R1/ R2 releases(some bits are in the deleted scenes on R1/R2 dvds).Some other bits can be scene in the trailer thats on the R1/R2 dvds for example the shot of the licker on the church roof - it isnt in the film on R1/R2 but is in the German extended dvd.
    Have a look at this site which compares the Extended German dvd to the R1 dvd - Note you will need to use a german to english translator at google or somewhere to read it if you dont read german.
    Also includes pics of the extra scenes...
    http://www.schnittberichte.com/index.php?ID=1966

16. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    How is he wrong?, he is correct in saying the R1/R2 are identical to the theatrical versions, hence they are 'uncut'.

17. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoyed Resident Evil: Apocalypse and own the R2 Japanese Boxset and have just ordered the R2 German Extended Edition (Highlight - Premium Edition) two weeks ago.

Picture and sound on the R2 Japan disc are brilliant, and I hope the A/V quality is on par especially the DD5.1 on the R2 German. This version does include extra scenes not included on any other versions (etc. Alice pulling glass out at the church) but does not included additional violance all gore. The German version is called Uncut Extended Edition but is similar to 'Underworld' where their have edit bits and put new stuff in.

People on other forums have said that the R3 HK has a better audio soundtrack then the R2 Japanese version.

If your a fan get the R2 German (Extended & all 3 Audio Commentaries) and R2 Japan/R3 Korean or R3 Hong Kong DTS-ES full bitrate (Theatrical & for DTS) and between the 2 versions you should get most of the extras between both versions and both versions of the movie.

This version can be bought at Amazon.de but is the Cut Extended version. The Uncut Extended version still received an R rating in Germany and can not be bought form German retailers on-line including Amazon.de.

...BMatt

18. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    But they are cut - missing a number of scenes - see the deleted scenes on the R1/R2 dvds and the trailer(the licker scene on church roof for example) - Most of these scenes have been put back into the German Extended edition.
    Read the link i posted it has all the details of the extra bits with comparisions to the R1/R2 dvds.

19. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The U.S/Japan/Korean/Hong Kong/U.K/Australian are not cut, all these versions are the Theatrical version of the movie what was seen in cinemas. The German version is an extended version supposedly made for Japan and is a longer version what differs from the other version by 'Putting Things In' and 'Taking Things Out' of the Theatrical Version.

...BMatt

20. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    Alot of films are missing scenes which were present in the trailers, Star Trek Nemesis is a good example as there are a number of scenes in the trailer which didnt make it to the film but this doesnt mean the film was cut, it means those scenes were removed before the final cut was made.
    To call a DVD release cut it has to be missing footage that was present in the original Theatrical Cut and Resident Evil 2 on DVD isnt missing any footage so it is not cut, its just that an extended edition has been released which has put previously removed footage back into the film.

21. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes a do agree that the Other Res evil2 dvds arent cut as such - but if you want the best then you would want the longer cut aswell as the one with best sound etc.

Doesnt quite work like that though, the MPAA and BBFC(they dont do much now) cut lots and lots of movies - so just because the dvd is the same as the Theatrical cut doesnt mean its uncut.

22. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    True - but if the Cut submitted passes classification without trims, it would therefore be Uncut.
    With regards to Resident Evil : Apocalypse, this is the BBFC info.

When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 89m 54s.
    This work was passed with no cuts made.

So although you are correct regarding BBFC cuts, the Theatrical version is indeed Uncut and the German version would be an Extended version.

23. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Yes it's uncut go to www.dvdcompare.net and see, uncut everywhere.

Why do you say the extended one is the better film?, just because it's longer doesn't automatically mean it's a better film with those extra scenes in. Look at Chronicles of Riddick dc, the changes made it a worse film, are the extras scenes really worth it in this case?, have you seen both versions yet?. It's my opinion that any extended cut of just a few minutes aint worth jack ****, it's not stuff that they had to take out due to running constraints etc, it's far more likely to be stuff they deemed too crap to include in the theatrical release!. When films get a true extended cut (like LOTR and Daredevil) then that's an entirely different story as those examples include whole new story plots, more character development and make the whole movie make more sense. Other 'extended' editions just scream cash in, what's the betting that the UK will see this extended release all re-packaged in time for Resi 3.

24. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The DC cut of Riddick is far better than the normal version, explains alot more story, the extra violence means you can actually work out what happens in the fight scenes, the Fury scene is in it so it links up to the game better etc etc.
    Also Remember Riddick and Daredevil were both cut by the MPAA to get PG-13
    Ratings - so the Theatrical version isnt uncut - hence we got the DC versions.
    As for Res Evil 2 - the extended cut does play better, with some fun character scenes - Watch the deleted scenes on the R1 dvd and you can see a couple that really should of been put back in and they have been in the German release. Its not a great movie anyway but i did enjoy both versions but i'm not a big enough fan to buy both versions on dvd - i only own the R1 release, i borrowed the German version from a friend.
    As for extended cuts being crap ? I'm a film fan so I'm always searching for the longer cuts of movies i like - so i hope film companys keep releasing them, as long as they let us know that they are releasing them - so we dont end up buying the same film twice.

25. rebel_scum

rebel_scum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonna agree with the Captain above, on the Riddick and Daredevil front. Both films much improved by the extended editions, unless of course ,you have 'A.D.D'. I went with the Korean version, after getting rid of the R1 disc, which suffered from having two seperate ratios on the one side of the disc. The Korean one is excellent, menus and all extras are in English. For £9.99 at Axelmusic.com, it was a bargain.

26. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    A.D.D.?, Attention defecit disorder? or Adversity to double dipping?. I bought both version of Daredevil at the same time, bought the 2 disc set for the extras for a fiva and the DC for about £6. Didn't think the DC of Riddick was worth it though, despite not owning any version.

27. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would certainly like to see extended cut of resident evil apocalypse but there's no way I would buy the German version with only 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound. In fact having probably the version with the best audio of the theatrical cut I'm not sure I would spring for the extended edition unless it had a 6.1 full bit rate DTS like my Hong Kong version.

I'm in favour of extended editions although I don't like having to buy DVDs twice and they should release both versions together in one package much like my copy of underworld so that one disc one I have the theatrical and disc two is extended with extras on both discs.

28. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i've got the US R1 of Resident evil Apocalypse, but the german one sounds appealing. I guess the packaging and menus are in german though, and i hate not having english menus.

also, which version of underworld is that? I think i'd be interested in replacing my theatrical one with a version that has both..

29. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The Underworld Supremacy edition has the regular and extended versions on two disks (both in DTS).

I got mine from here - http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/detail.asp?id=131906

30. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    that looks pretty nice. how much of the packaging and menus is in a foreign language?