1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which version of Pro Evo 4 will you be buying.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Bristol Pete, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Simple one this....I hope !! :D

Which version will you plum for x-box or PS2? :confused:

I will probably go for the PS2 version as I have my PS2 connected to my PJ via component and Pro Evo 3 runs so much faster on this rather than throught the RGB scart on my TV - though not sure why...its like a different game.

I am not too bothered if the Xbox version edges the graphics. To me its about the playability.

I have read all of the conflicting reports about control issues through to the graphics and wondered what other AV forum users will do?

Incidentally, my xbox is not chipped so I cannot attain a progressive picture, assuming this would be possible. Not a game fanatic anymore and all told I only own about 5 games, of which Pro Evo 3 and Athens 2004 are the only ones being played right now. I do occasionally play Burnout 3 on the box but its getting boring now.....all golds completed in crash mode though :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyway, thanks. Which version is it for you?

Cap :)

Oh and I am looking forward to KillZone on the PS2. That does look good :thumbsup:

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Well, it has to be the Xbox for me. Online Pro Evo (assuming you have an internet connection that is) is the only choice. Couldn't give a monkeys about graphics - if I did, I'd get the PS2 version due to heavy anti-aliasing on the Xbox version.

Its all about the playability though (or we'd be buying FIFA), and while I have some reservations about the Xbox pad (the white and black buttons are a little awkward) it is as with anything just a case of getting used to it. I cannot wait to finally be half decent at an online game! (I think I've just set myself up for a fall there - maybe I'm not that good after all...)

3. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    same here for the xbox live reason only also already have the version for the Ps2 which is modded If this is anything to go by so far this game rock for me

new addition to the game is the players going off pitch injured and leaving team to 10 men until the descion is made if he can play on if not a substitution is made not sure if this was in earlier versions

and of course the online adaption this my only real notice of game change of course you have the norm name changes etc

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Surely the fact that the Xbox is anti-aliasing the graphics would make it look better, given that the PS2 is crap at this task.

When you say heavy what exactly do you mean ???

Thanks.

5. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    at the mo its pc for me as i ts all i got but might be a crystal x-box on the horizon

6. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Considering that anti-aliasing is used to *improve* a game's visuals, I too would love to know how that makes it look worse.

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Well, ok, I see both your points. I should say I've not actually seen this going yet, but I have read two reviews, both of which say the PS2 version looks alot crisper/sharper when compared side-by-side to the Xbox one, which looks softer/almost fuzzy. You can't distinguish where the edge of the player is. Its purely cosmetic though, and doesn't interfere with the gameplay.

When anti-aliasing is carried out properly, it just makes the jaggies disappear, not lose definition.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    OK. Interesting. I think that we are going to have to wait for the true reviews to filter through. The official PS2 mag is out on Thursday and they have a demo along with the review. Think thats a must buy....

Now, I can understand what you are saying here. Last years version of FIFA on the xbox was graphically on odd game to me - with the aforementioned blurriness going on. I wonder of that is what the previews are seeing in Pro Evo 4???

Either way, its a winner on both machines....the consumer cannot loose.

Finally, please note that I am not a PS2 nor an xbox fan boy...just simply want the game on either console....oh and I dont have xbox live.

Cheers,

Cap:)

9. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    As long as it looks good in 480p, that's all I care about.

10. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    What is 480p?

I reckon I'll xbox it!

11. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Progressive scan/High definition.

you need an an NTSC, chipped or soft modded X-Box as well as a High Definition TV and the NTSC Microsoft High Definition connection.

12. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the xbox has a very poor RGB output compared to other consoles. The xbox does not use anti-aliasing like a pc graphics card does, in fact i doubt it uses it at all! I think microsoft made the interlaced output on the xbox slightly blurry cuz of all the moaning that was going on at the time about the playstations "jaggies".

Still component looks sharper and 480p looks amazing! Will wipe the floor with the playstation version if you have the hardware.

13. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I was going to give Fifa 2005 a go for a bout a month until Evo 4 comes out. Anyone played Fifa yet, how it play?. i'm not a fifa fan by any stretch of the imagination, in fact i'd go as far to say that its quite posibily the worst football franchise, BUT it is on 'live' and i want a (half)decent game of football (EIF not counted coz it was ****£) against people other than my mates (who i can whip so easily it's getting boring) but if Fifa is dire then i won't even bother for the month that i would play it till i traded in for Evo4. So is Fifa worth getting? is this 1st touch malarky any good?

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    RE Pro Evo, I havent got it yet but a friend has. I will be honest and say the vibes are bad. Hopefully I will have it some time this week so I can give an honest opinion.

15. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    What 'vibes' are they?

Elaborate some more.

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My friend has played it on PS2 and Xbox. He doesn’t think the controls or play are as fluid as the previous versions. And he was disappointed by the graphics.

You did ask. I am reserving judgement until I have played it myself.

17. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    I'll get both versions, infact i was delighted to get PES4 PS2 on order for £15(had a voucher), then just my luck i recieve an email today telling me that i will be getting another one free for being a ref at the bluewater league.

Guess one will be ebayed now.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,848
    i've played the PS2 version and that is class but TBH i'm off for the X-Box Version for the online play

19. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Maybe you need a new cable cos the rgb from my xbox is perfect.

Its anti aliasing is in fact EXACTLY like a pc cards, as the graphics system is an Nvidia NV2A chip, and is capable of 2X, 2XQ and 4X FSAA. But very few games use it as they prefer to maximise the polygon count and texture quality which leaves no room for fillrate intensive options such as FSAA on the memory bandwidth limited xbox.

20. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    WHA??????????????

Controls or play not as fluid as the previous versions?? This is one area where PES4 beats PES3 into the ground. That isn't just my opinion, it is a fact. It's like comparing warm putty with plastecine that's been in the freezer for 3 days. That's how confident i am!

They have ironed out virtually all of the problems which marred the flow of play in PES3, with players just stopping/ standing still for no apparent reason (which TOTALLY disrupted the flow of play), players not moving to the ball, awful refereeing decisions and such. I won't be shouting at the console half as much as I used to.

Admittedly the graphics could do with some spit and polish but I don't believe any of us have played the 100% final, retail version. Apparently this 'preview' version that's going about is 80% complete. If there is an graphically better version to come then, loving it. As long as they don't make any drastic changes to the gameplay- a last minute implementation of the 'silent hill' control system wouldn't be appreciated for example.

Also I cannot stress the difference between playing in PAL and NTSC - when me and my mate first played this on his xbox, we were distinctly underwhelmed. It was jerky and seemed slow. I left his house in a gutted state cos I've been looking forward to this for some time. However when I got home and tried it myself it was a different game. I checked the settings it was set NTSC. I rang my mate who changed from PAL to NTSC, he noticed the difference straight away, and absolutely loves it now. Honestly, this is not an understatement.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,848
    I've been playing WE8 now since release in early August and it's an amazing game - much better than any previous PES with much better fluidity than before, better graphics, better AI from players & the ref and you have much more control over the ball when dribbling & passing.

I've also recently been playing PES4 on the PS2 and it's basically the same although the passing seems even sharper & quicker (although that may just be me). If the X-Box version is basically the same as the PS2 version (but with online play) then it will be great! :thumbsup:

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ok you can pick your dummies back up now. The question was asked. I did say I was reserving judgement until I have played it myself.

23. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Perhaps we should all reserve judgment until the 15th and then we can all make our own minds up.....as before either way, the consumer is the winner.

I still dont know which one to buy but the PS2 version is looking likely for me?!?!??!?!?

Cheers,

24. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I will have the xbox version in a couple of days. I can comment properly then.

25. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45

What's with the dummies comment? It just a suggestion that your friends point of view doesn't appear to be entirely correct.
    I was only trying to reassure you, I believe the game will play far better than you are expecting.

26. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly what date is pes4 going to be released on the xbox? Is it the same time as for the ps2?

27. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    PS2 in 9 days.

Xbox end november.

28. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned: