Which version of Magnolia?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    I think I am doing things wrong.

I go to the cinema, enjoy a film, then buy it on DVD, which I never watch (Green Mile, Abyss, T2, Mummy etc etc)..

I think its about time I started buying films that I havn't seen but which are good.

That way I am going to get some value for money.

I have heard that 'Magnolia' is brilliant, but there are 4 choices.. R1 1 disk, R1 2 Disks, R2 1 disk and R2 2 disks.

Whats the best version.. I guess that the R1 2 Disk version is going to be the best.. But for a film like this, are the extras going to be worth the extra money?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Jon, I went for the Region 1 2-disc Magnolia.

I bought it originally because it was the first area released (I assume) and Region 1 stuff's usually better.

I ain't a big 'extras' fan but in this case (as with the Jaws DVD) it was worth every penny.

So just look for the best deal.

Mind look out for the hidden outakes on the 'color bar' section of the disc. Just select it in the menu then wait a few seconds.

The only annoying about the Region 1 2-disc is it comes with a cardboard box. I just chopped it up and it fits nicely into a double Amaray. Mmmmm feel the plastic.

Great film.

Gary
    A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

My DVDs
    [​IMG]

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    Cheers.. What a collection on DVDs... Have you really watched them all?

Obviously you have seen all of them before, but have you really watched them on DVD too?

My collection is growing, but I am finding that I hardly watch any of them.. I just like having them!

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I too have the 2 disc R1 version. Have to say its probably the best one to go for. I was surprised that they put the extras on another disc though, there are quite a lot but I have seen more features on some single discs, but its a long film so I guess thats why.
    Great film , Highly recomended.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon wrote "Obviously you have seen all of them before, but have you really watched them on DVD too?

Heh heh Jon. Not even close! I've watched T2 about 4 times though!

Jon: "My collection is growing, but I am finding that I hardly watch any of them.. I just like having them!"

Same here mate. I'm looking forward to watching all of them.

I love to stroke them and...ooo er lost it there for a moment.

Gary

My DVDs
    [​IMG]

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    I have the Region 2 version, although both R1 and R2 discs are identical, except for the packaging.

Basically, you may as well get the R2 version on this occasion. I picked mine up for £16-79 from my local branch of MVC.

Pooch

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got the R1 discs. You have to get it, if not for any other reason but for the absolutely beautiful packaging. It looks fantastic!
    Gary, how dare you deface this wonderful piece of artwork! It should have been treasured for ever. [​IMG]
    This and Fight Club are my two favourite films of all time. A big call I know, but IMHO, this is the case. Just love them.
    Neil [​IMG]

------------------
    That's pretty lame Milhouse!

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neildo doth say: "Gary, how dare you deface this wonderful piece of artwork! It should have been treasured for ever."

[​IMG] You've got a good point Neil as the packaging is beautiful -but it's cardboard. The job I done has retained the looks and it's just behind a bit of plastic. I didn't throw away that much.

I did watch Blue Peter™ you know.

Yes, Neil I'd agree about Magnolia. I thought it was truly wonderful. Not everyone's cup of tea though.

Gary

My DVDs
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by APPRIA40WR (edited 28-10-2000).]

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gary, can you take a photo of your makeshift packaging for Magnolia and post it on the web somewhere so that I can see how it turned out? I'm really keen to see if it is something that I might do to mine if it looks good. Thanks.
    Neil [​IMG]

------------------

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil: "Hey Gary, can you take a photo of your makeshift packaging for Magnolia and post it on the web..."

I've put up Fight Club and Magnolia for you Neil. You'll note that the rear cover is not taped to the spine/front cover. Nothing stopping you doing this. Inside the Fight Club Amaray I put the booklet that comes with the DVD. Inside the Magnolia Amaray I put a nice part of the cardboard box that I cut up.

You can of course choose a different front cover since there's at least 2 in both releases.

These downloads may take a bit of time to download.

http://members.tripod.co.uk:81/silverdiscs/fightclub.jpeg
    http://members.tripod.co.uk:81/silverdiscs/magnolia.jpg

Get those scissors out!

Gary

My DVDs
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by APPRIA40WR (edited 28-10-2000).]

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,
    How did you get the plastic disc holders separated from the cardboard backing that you used for the front and back covers without destroying them? I guess you had to in order to fit them into the armaray(?) cases. Are they just glued down? It's just that I am a bit hesitant to do it just in case I boll*cks it up! If I did I would be beside myself! Thanks for the photos anyway. It looks like you did a pretty good job.
    Neil [​IMG]
    P.S I have always meant to ask you! What is the meaning behind "A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range"? Just curious.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Neildo (edited 29-10-2000).]

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just thought of something Gary. Why, in the future, don't you just scan the covers of the discs and then alter them on something like Adobe Photo Shop and then have them printed out really well on photo paper or something. I'm going to try it on Magnolia first and if it looks good, I'll use it and still get to keep the original case safe somewhere. I'll take photos of it and let you know the address as soon as I get it done.
    Neil [​IMG]

------------------

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil: "How did you get the plastic disc holders separated from the cardboard backing that you used for the front and back covers without destroying them?"

There's just 3-4 blobs of glue Neil. No nuclear fusion or anything like that [​IMG]

"It's just that I am a bit hesitant to do it just in case I boll*cks it up! If I did I would be beside myself!"

I don't blame you. I've been doing this sort of things for years. I used to make up my own VHS cases and the like, so I'd recommend you be careful. I've probably done around 40 DVDs (inc Warner type).

"Thanks for the photos anyway. It looks like you did a pretty good job."

Not perfect, but once the cover is in the Amaray case they look really fab.

"P.S I have always meant to ask you! What is the meaning behind "A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range"? Just curious."

Arnodlt Schwarzenneger said these immortal words in The Terminator (in the gun shop where he asks for 'an Uzi 9mm, a Colt 45 with laser sighting and a phased plasma rifle in (some say with) a forty watt range'. The guy responds 'hey, just what you see buddy' [​IMG] I was paraphrasing BTW, this may not be accurate.

"I just thought of something Gary. Why, in the future, don't you just scan the covers of the discs and then alter them on something like Adobe Photo Shop and then have them printed out really well on photo paper or something.

Good idea Neil. I've done this before and as long as you use the very best quality printer and paper it'll look good. This'll be a good idea to practise on though.

"I'm going to try it on Magnolia first and if it looks good, I'll use it and still get to keep the original case safe somewhere. I'll take photos of it and let you know the address as soon as I get it done."

Good idea. Let me know how you get on.

Gary

My DVDs
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by APPRIA40WR (edited 29-10-2000).]