1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which version of Dscaler ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by terrythecat, Nov 1, 2003.

1. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I have recently added the Nebula tv card and want to get the best PQ possible: so, which version of Dscaler should I download?
    Any other tweaks I should know about?

Cheers

Terry

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Dscaler doesn't support the Nebula card.

3. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Jeff - shame!

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will "see" the composite input, if you are looking to use it as a amp on screen display.

5. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nathan - must be me; but I'm not 100% sure what you mean. By this, I assume there's no way I can de-interlace the picture when watching TV ( mainly music programs ) on the big screen.

Terry

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    With the nebula card you can use Dscaler for the composite input that comes with the nebula (just like a standalone capture card stuck on the side). For example you can plug another composite source ( vcr , console laserdisc anything really) into the nebula and its possible to use Dscaler for that one composite input.

However Dscaler won't help you with live viewing from the nebula's digital reciever. You have to use the app that comes with the nebula for live viewing . For recordings you've made with the nebula you can use other pieces of software to playback the file. ( the nebula website will point you to at least one).

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of using Dscaler to play back a recorded file from the nebula : its probably doable but I'd guess it isn't all that straight forward.

Personally I'd love to be able to use Dscaler with the Nebula for live or recorded playback.Alternatively maybe the Nebula guys will utilise some of the deinterlacing algorithms from Dscaler but I suspect you'd need a fair bit of processing power to manage it.

7. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terry

Keith has covered this already

rgds

8. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I'd known I couldn't use Dscaler with the Nebula I would probably have chosen another card. I assume the PQ from a different card WITH Dscaler would result in a better PQ than the vanilla Nebula.

I was going to email the Dscaler guys and ask if they would be supporting the Nebula card in the near future ( after all, I only bought this card because of all the positive remarks I had seen on this forum ) but could not see an email address anywhere on their site.

As I said earlier, I only watch music programs via the HCPC so I guess I'll have to accept things as they are for the time being.

Terry

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Terry the nebula is a good digital reciever card Its video deinterlacing is not as good as Dscalers but for film based material you'll be hard pushed to see much difference in deinterlace quality between the two.

The Nebula is designed to recieve and reccord freeview broadcasts : its not primiarily a capture card although it has a composite capture capability built in which can use Dscaler but really you are comparing apples and oranges.

If you want nice clean terrestrial digital reception without the added hassle of an additional standalone tuner and you desire PVR capabilities the nebula is great . It captures at exactly the same quality as broadcast. Its cleaner than even the very best analofgue capture cards.

Dscaler is an app primarily designed to allow PC owners to view an external source through an analogue capture card with the benefits of sophisticated deinterlacing algorithms . Its designed for a totally different pipeline.

If you watch video based material a lot then Dscaler has some merit as its way better at video deinterlacing than the Nebula.

But comparing the two is a bit like comparing a washing machine with a dishwasher ( there are similarities but fundamentally the two things are designed with different purposes in mind)

10. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Keith - yeah, terrestial TV PQ of the Nebula is pretty good on my 7ft screen. I just thought I may be able to get near DVD quality with something like Dscaler. Never mind - I'm otherwise very happy with my purchase.

Terry