Which VCR to buy

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by a.lang, Jul 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. a.lang

a.lang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this seems old hat but my VCR has finally died.No mags.or forums seem to have any interest in straight forward VCR's any more.
    I want to maintain a VCR ability for 2 reasons:
    1.Old tapes to play,
    2.To record from a camcorder to give friends and relatives who do not have even DVD players yet-presumably need S-video here-is that right ?

I do not want a combined machine as I would rather be able to replace components one by one as they fail and at the lower to middle end of the market I think stand alone machines probably give better performance.

I would like any thoughts,suggestions etc.Also does anyone know where up to date VCR reviews can be found.The suggestions on this site seem to run out in about 2003. Thanks.Andrew.

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Most review mags don't touch VCR's anymore - as they are yesterdays technology - why not consider a DVD recorder or PVR and bring yourself (and your friends :rolleyes: ) back to the 21st century.
    Appreciate that you have some old tapes - why no buy a cheapy from Tesco - copy these to a DVD-r then do yourself a favour - and chuck it in the bin :clap: :clap:

Trust me - you won't regret it :suicide:

3. a.lang

a.lang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Snick,on one level I agree with you, but I still need to be able to give VHS tapes to relatives/friends especially of our new baby recorded on a camcorder,they are elderly, some of them, and don't have, and will not get DVD players even.Also,can commercial VHS tapes simply be copied legally to a DVD if I bought a DVD recorder?
    No,I really do need a VCR.I am happy to buy a cheapie but would like to know which is a good cheapie to buy.Is there anywhere I can get reviews etc,or do I really just have to plump for one?
    Andrew.

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    VCRs a long way from dead - but the industry only geared towards market churn, especially the ('there has never been a better time to buy AV kit') mags/comics.
    I am in the same boat and despair of finding any reasonable info.
    Since the widely mis-reported Dixons announcement and the huge drop in price point of VCRs it been a royal PITA.
    trouble with plumping for a cheapie is that it could eat your tapes...
    Also be aware that the lifetime of DVD-Rs may not be what many are assuming....

arrgghh !!!

5. a.lang

a.lang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve,thought provoking.
    I think your last point about longevity of DVD-R is a great one-not the first place I have heard this.I am certainly going to keep any precious mini-DV tapes from my camcorder even after I have burnt DVD's,rather than record over them,until we know more on this point.

I don't like buying without proper info.(my prospective VCR purchase) but it makes me feel better that I am not missing any thing, and am not the only person in this boat !!
    Andrew.

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    a.lang: I would recommend a second hand D-VHS VCR, if you can find one. See a post on this subject a week or so ago. Besides having DVD picture quality and 21 hours on a tape, it also has a DV input so you can archive DV tapes to this format.
    I have just recorded all the 'Live 8' footage from the BBC on a single tape in DVD quality. It takes a big hard disc on a DVD recorder to do all of this, at decent quality. D-VHS VCRs will also play and record normal VHS and S-VHS tapes.

7. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    JH4, Many Thanks.
    I take it I would also need to source some D-VHS tapes to fit 21 hours of DVD resolution on one tape.
    Will this be a hard search ? ? ?

8. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
  9. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Steve: A good 240 S-VHS tape set to record in D-VHS mode will give 21 hours. It's just as good as a proper D-VHS tape, imo. You cannot use bog standard VHS tapes in D-VHS mode though. Incidently, the machine you need if you are in the UK is the JVC HM DR 10000EK - if you can find one ! I've been using them for some years now, even though I have a DVD recorder with a hard drive, simply because of the picture quality and the long playing times this machine gives.

10. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    JH4,
    Thanks for the heads up. have been looking at the yank jobs, they seem to vary between a few hundred dollars to well over a thousand.
    .. 'Its all rather confusing really'

11. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Steve: Don't forget that the 'yank jobs' won't record UK TV and won't run off 240Volts ! But the new ones WILL play High Definition D-VHS tapes, if you have the right TV to display them !

12. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If you just want a basic, simple vcr then get this one:
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/402_217140.html
    I had the old version of this and it was excellent, great quality, easy to use. It is just a very simple video, personally i dont like cheap stuff from tesco, i like good brands.

13. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    My good old 32inch CRT 91997 IIIRC) does two flavours on NTSC so no worries there.
    (advantage of early adoption when the market place hasn't sorted out its 'feature drip' I suppose.)
    Buy from Comet... I am man of principle so will around for the same model elsewhere.
    Or send someone in with the cash to get it for me - don't want to do a Jim Carrey Liar Liar fit in public - or anywhere come that).
    thanks for the pointer though I do appreciate it.

14. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    (1997 IIRC) - must check typing before posting...repeat... must check..