Question Which UST?

turnpike

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm hoping for some suggestions in choosing an ultra short throw projector which might be passable in a light room (I know it will always be a compromise and better in dark).

I can't seem to find much info on either the Optoma HD31UST or Benq W1600UST. They seem to be the options for around 1k unless I go crazy on a 2.5k laser UST.

Cheers!

Seand1

Novice Member
Optoma zh400 ust projecting 120" image onto a painted wall. Basement rec room partially lit.

Attachments

• IMG_20190613_152654.jpg
    IMG_20190613_152654.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 355

turnpike

Standard Member
Looks good! I got the W1600UST (similar to the viewsonic PX800HD). Where's your stand/shelf from?

Seand1

Novice Member
Thanks! We bought the stand at Target...lol. It was affordable, is sturdy, has an industrial kind of look, and not too bad to put together.

Last edited:

turnpike

Standard Member
Well it looks good in the photo :) I'm using a low shelf for a while until I decide positioning/screen size.

CinemaGuy

I've been using the Optoma HD31UST. Changed it from an Epson EHTW6600. It is placed in the living room of my flat. I changed it to the optima because of the cables and ease of set up. It is projected onto the wall. It does have slight waves on the tope edge of the image. Not noticable when watching films etc. I'm really happy with it. And the 10,000 hour lamp is a bonus as it is used as my main TV.

turnpike

Standard Member
I nearly got the HD31UST in the amazon prime sales but for some reason decided on the Benq at the last minute. The only issue on my screen is a slight curve one corner because the wall isn't entirely flat, but the rest is great. I'm not bothered by the odd small bump or texture. I'd trade a little quality for not having a big screen on the wall. Haven't decided what size screen to go for. it's currently about 100" diagonal (225cm wide).

I think the Benq is only rated as 6000 hours tops (in smarteco mode) so I guess I'll be ordering a spare lamp now to make sure we have one. The kids are using the projector all the time and in the morning and I don't really want to tell them not to if they enjoy it. Even though we don't have black out blinds yet it's perfectly watchable.

parallax33

Optoma zh400 ust projecting 120" image onto a painted wall. Basement rec room partially lit.
What have you used for paint on the wall?

parallax33

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom