• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which USB to MIDI adapter?

Bursar

Established Member
I'm looking at hooking my TD-9 to a laptop so I can record my playing. For software I'm looking at Superior Drummer 2, probably matched with Reaper (but I'm open to suggestions).

The main thrust for this post though is in relation to connecting the TD-9 to the laptop. I can get a fairly simple USB to MIDI lead for between £20 and £30, or I can look at something like the M-Audio Fast Track which is pushing £100.

In terms of basic functionality and getting a good and reliable connection between the laptop and TD-9, is there any real difference between the two? Why would I use one over the other? The M-Audio site is 'suffering technical difficulties' so I can't get on there to check out all the details of the product.

The laptop does have a mini Firewire connection, but those devices are even more expensive.

All advice greatfully received.

Bursar

Established Member
No need to worry, I've bought the CakeWalk UM-2G and am now running the SD 2 and sounding great :) Well, the drums sound great. I other hand... ;)

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't mind bumping this for some advice please. I've hit a bit of brick wall with regards latency trying to get a piano VST to work well, turns out the soundcard I've got has no dedicated asio drivers after all so I'm getting by with asio4all currently.

Can anyone recommend an external USB audio device they use with a piano VST that works well? there's so many on the market I don't have a clue as to where to start.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom