Which USB IR receiver for XBMC + Harmony One setup

Hey all good folks,

I am looking for a tiny USB IR receiver for my XBMC (linux based) on ZOTAC Z-BOX. I have had a look around here and fleebay, and the only nice thing I could find was this german import.

Any one know how good/bad this one is, and if I could have anything better than this. Anything tiny and compatible would be nice...

Thanks for reading.

nunovi

Novice Member
I like the Antec Veris Multimedia Station EZ. It's media center compatible so should work flawlessly with XBMC, it's fairly good looking and you can it on Scan for £10.

Nuno

I like the Antec Veris Multimedia Station EZ. It's media center compatible so should work flawlessly with XBMC, it's fairly good looking and you can it on Scan for £10.

Nuno
Thanks for the pointer, but this one looks like a big device which will sit along side my HTPC... If so, I was looking for a small and discrete receiever...

Any ideas?

nunovi

Novice Member
Fair enough. I also have a Hauppauge mce ir remote that comes with a tiny ir receiver (5 x 5 x 1 cm). You can buy it on Scan for around £30. Bit wasteful as you don't need the remote but works perfectly with XBMC.

Nuno

Fair enough. I also have a Hauppauge mce ir remote that comes with a tiny ir receiver (5 x 5 x 1 cm). You can buy it on Scan for around £30. Bit wasteful as you don't need the remote but works perfectly with XBMC.

Nuno

Did you mean this one? I couldnt find any picture of the IR receiver. Any chance if you can kindly upload a picture here ?

Many thanks for your reply.

nunovi

Novice Member
Yes, that's the one. Check the picture on this link.

Nuno

Enwezor

Novice Member
My PC is in the loft now so it's a bit inaccessible. If you really want one, I could take a picture over the next few days but the thing is tiny. Must be about 4 cm long. (That includes the USB connector so I reckon 2.5cm tops for the body of the receiver)

AEOne

Novice Member
Hi!

@bym007: I made 2 pictures for you:

First: directly connected to the PC/Notebook.
Second: with the connection cable.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask them ;).

Kind regards, AEOne

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,754
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 2,082
Hi!

@bym007: I made 2 pictures for you:

First: directly connected to the PC/Notebook.
Second: with the connection cable.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask them ;).

Kind regards, AEOne

Thanks for the pics. I have since gone for another [cheaper] option from Amazon, which works awesome, although it comes with a long-ish cable ..

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Do any of these remotes not send keypresses (especially for the number keys) ?

I have my Harmony One mapped to a cyberlink MCE clone, but this (like many others) sends key presses, effectively robbing me of being able to custom map the number keys.

bryanchicken

Novice Member
Do any of these remotes not send keypresses (especially for the number keys) ?

I have my Harmony One mapped to a cyberlink MCE clone, but this (like many others) sends key presses, effectively robbing me of being able to custom map the number keys.

I believe you are looking for an RC6 remote if that helps at all.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

bryanchicken

Novice Member
Do you have any links to where I can find one?

This isn't what i've got (got an official microsoft one which has been discontinued unfortunately):
Philips OVU412000 IR Receiver Wireless MCE USB VISTA 7 | eBay

Depends if you mind purchasing on ebay and from china.

There seem to be very few about. There was a guy on here at some point selling a tiny receiver which looked fairly decent. Haven't got a link though.

[Edit]Found it!
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...7866-need-remote-ir-receiver-win7-xbmc-2.html

http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC6-Infrared-Receiver:::2.html?XTCsid=g7opuut02rjq1gpd1k8jt535t6
[/Edit]

Last edited:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Cheers, however I think I'd like a remote as well.

I've personally found that if you download remote codes from Logitech rather than grab them directly from your original remote, that keypress response time is longer for some reason (even with delay tweaking in the logitech software).

bryanchicken

Novice Member
Cheers, however I think I'd like a remote as well.

I've personally found that if you download remote codes from Logitech rather than grab them directly from your original remote, that keypress response time is longer for some reason (even with delay tweaking in the logitech software).

I found the performance terrible with keypress remotes and my harmony. Especially when you are trying to scroll or do something that involves pressing a button multiple times quickly.
Thats why i went about sourcing an official ms one.

Why do you need a remote if you have a harmony? Surely if you get an RC6 receiver you just need to pick the correct device on your harmony don't you?

How about the maplin remote jammy linked to below? If you look at the user guide it does say "RC6 and MCIR keyboard protocols are supported"
I dunno what MCIR is (presumably some sort of special media centre commands).

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Why do you need a remote if you have a harmony? Surely if you get an RC6 receiver you just need to pick the correct device on your harmony don't you?
As I said, for some reason the harmony seems more responsive when using captured individual IR codes from your original remote (not just MCE remotes) as opposed to using the IR codes from the Logitech database. At least that's what I have found.

Yup the one I linked is RC6 and great with XBMC!
Do the number keys send HID codes or keypresses?

If you open a notepad document and press 1 2 3 do the numbers appear or nothing?

bryanchicken

Novice Member
As I said, for some reason the harmony seems more responsive when using captured individual IR codes from your original remote (not just MCE remotes) as opposed to using the IR codes from the Logitech database. At least that's what I have found.

Gotcha. I misunderstood and thought you were talking about sluggishness due to it sending keypresses, which is what i'd also exeperienced. Apologies.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Gotcha. I misunderstood and thought you were talking about sluggishness due to it sending keypresses, which is what i'd also exeperienced. Apologies.
No apology needed. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett