• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which USB Divx Player? Need help!

SuperBadger

Standard Member
Hi,

I need to get a DVD player with DivX playback et al. But I need to get one with USB so I can plug in my USB stick and read films directly off it. Are there any fairly cheap players out there that will do this well? Needs to be able to play the popular codecs etc. Not bothered about upscaling but would be nice. Any ideas? I have no clue when it comes to USB.

Thanks in advnace.

SuperBadger

Standard Member
Hi,

Cheers for that - did a bit of research and it looks perfect. Getting it next week so hopefully will get to play with it then :)

Thanks

SuperBadger

Standard Member
Hi, do you know if the DVP5990 is much better?

My main thing would be for watching Xvid from USB. Should I cancel and get the later model?

SuperBadger

Standard Member
Do either the DVP5980 or DVP5990 play packed bitstreams from USB stutter free? This is my main concern. If anyone knows it would very much be appreciated.

herbsz

Established Member
It has eject button on the remote and you can create MP3s directly from CDs
You can also convert the contents of your favorite CDs to MP3 files on your Philips product, and store it directly on a thumbdrive or on your portable media player through a USB cable. Enjoy the convenience of creating MP3 files right in your living room, without a PC, and even while the CD is playing.
With this it has Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Link plays media from USB flash drives
The Universal Serial Bus or USB is a protocol standard that is conveniently used to link PCs, peripherals and consumer electronic equipment. Hi-Speed USB devices have a data transfer rate of up to 480 Mbps - up from the 12 Mbps in original USB ones. With Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Link, all you have to do is plug in your USB device, select the movie, music or photo and play away.

I don't think that model is available in the UK

herbsz

Established Member
Hi, do you know if the DVP5990 is much better?

My main thing would be for watching Xvid from USB. Should I cancel and get the later model?

the 5990 has USB 2.0 and plays back USB better than the 5980 (at least so i have read), not sure but i think both models play packed bitstream.

SuperBadger

Standard Member
Thanks matey - already ordered the 5980, I'll try and cancel as the 5990 is only a tenner more. Will report back on findings. Did a lot of searching and it's not clear cut wether packed streams are supported or not. It even sometimes depends on the film playing (bit rate) and the USB stick being used.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom