Which USB 3.0 interface

pdes

I have an external drive that I use for backups. It has two ports - 1*USB 2.0 and 1*USB 3.0 the 2.0 has the standard USB port and the 3.0 has the "other" style, i.e. the larger plug. My new laptop boasts all 4 USB ports are 3.0 but physically, they are the same as the "old" style standard ports.

So, my question is, has the "new" 3.0 physical port been superseded by a resurgence of the old style port? If so, is there an adapter that can up-scale the ports on the laptop to the original high speed ports so that I can continue to use my external drive for high-speed backups?

Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The USB standard specifies at least a half a dozen different plugs so it's worth trying to be specific.

Inferring from context I'm guessing you're talking about type A ports on your laptop and type B ports on the external drive:

If that is the case then what you're seeing are correct. The USB3 Type A ports appear exactly the same, while the Type B ports have been expanded upwards to accommodate their corresponding extra connectors. Although the type A ports appear the same they do have extra pins recessed towards the back to connect with the extra pins on the larger type B port, and both will work fine with older USB connectors.

If what you're seeing on the drive is a port that looks like the ports on the laptop but is wider then it's likely to be a combined USB and eSATA port or something similar, although I didn't know they'd made USB3 versions.

pdes

Thanks for this. I have researched some more and you are correct in that it was a USB/ESATA combined port that I had on the previous machine. I will try a USB to ESATA converter and see whether I can still get the high speeds to the external drive from the new machine's USB 3.0 port.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom