Which upscaler DVD player is the best for under £150...confused PLEASE HELP.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sandman666, Dec 29, 2006.

1. sandman666

sandman666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi everyone.....Just got myself the latest Sagem 45" DLP HD tv,im very impressed with it and have not seen a better picture yet,now i need an upscaling dvd player to match it and i dont no what to go for.got about £140 to spend so can anyone point me in the right direction with recomendations please....THANKS.:thumbsup:

2. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Have a look at this page... ;)

3. CapnJack

CapnJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was wondering the same thing.

Can anyone recommend the Philips 5960? Will it make much difference over my 260E on my PX60?

4. sandman666

sandman666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the link,not heard of this player before and to be honest im a little bit warey.Everyone in the forums seems to be talking about sony ns76,toshiba 360,samsung 860,but no mention of this panasonic model.dont get me wrong im gratefull for the help,but i would like some more opinions before i splash out the dosh.can anyone back up the claims about the panasonic or is there a better player than this....cheers.:confused:

5. james_uk9

james_uk9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Upscaling players at budget price, it just has to be an Oppo. IMO nothing gets close unless you spend at least 2-3 times the price an Oppo would cost you. Do a forum search there are several threads on Oppo players.

6. sandman666

sandman666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    COULDNT FIND ANY FOR SALE IN THE UK:mad: So i went for the panasonic s52 instead from argos,£99.99...i`ll let ya know what i think after playing with it tonight.;)

7. fishman09

fishman09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    @sandman666...i'd also recommend the oppo. at £165 its a smidge over your budget but its miles better than most other dvd players (sub £300).

if you like the panny then great...its got a pretty good rep to be fair, but if you decide to return it, then i would defo get the oppo..watched aliens vs predator the other night and it was almost as good as the hd rip i've got.

btw..the oppo 971h and 981 are at crt projectors..just search under that in google...excellent service and delivery

fish

8. JustWomble

JustWomble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please excuse my ignorance this is my first post on this forum! We have a Pioneer 434 (with HDMI) and I am looking for a good upscaling dvd at around this price. I had taken the plunge with the Denon 1920 but ended up returning because of lipsync problems. Does the Oppo have similar problems -at the moment I'm just running through a NAD hifi amp not having invested in an av amp yet - these I understand can offset the sync issues if it is consistent.

Any help and advice gratefully received.

9. fishman09

fishman09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hi JustWomble

had the oppo for a while now..tried loads of dvd's on it...absolutley no lip-sync issues at all..in fact no issues of any kind at all

cheers

fish

10. JustWomble

JustWomble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fishman09. I hadn't seen any comments about this on the forum but thought it best to check. Cheers

11. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Womble. Llipsync error. These commonly happen when the sound is routed through an amp, and the visuals go through a TV, eg LCD, separately. The audio and visual signals go out of parity due to different rates of decoding for the equipment.

As your Nad is probably analogue(?!?), it might be your tv generates the delay. Sometimes these delays can be improved by resetting all the equipment.

If you do find you have a lipsync problem there are 2 options

1) Play sound throught the TV speakers - there should be no delay (not what you want to hear)
    2) Many modern AV amps have a delay feature where a delay is programmable in 10s of milisecs (as you suggested)

So I dont think your problem is the source/DVD player (although I might be wrong as I've never owned the Denon - I get lipsync errors on all my sources, including the oppo, which I correct in my AV amp - same ms delay fixes all sources). Can I ask. Do you have some other input, eg sky. Do you get delay and what kind of connections do you use?

/edit I just checked my DVD player, an Oppo 981, and it has a programmable audio delay function...so if you are worried, you have option 3

3) Buy a DVD player with audio delay :)

12. JustWomble

JustWomble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Smurkenstein thank you.

We're running the Pioneer Plasma (PDP-434) (no built in speakers) through the Denon (analogue) hifi amp and Monitor Audio Silver speakers we run Freeview etc without any lipsync problems. The problem occurred when using HDMI and I'm guessing the processing time from the media box into the amp was different from the screen.

The Denon 1920 (good pq) did have well known lipsync problems which were well reported elsewhere on the forum (shame I didn't read it first!!) and the main problem was that it was intermittent and variable.

That's great to hear that you can offset the audio if required.

Has anyone else used this feature?

13. sandman666

sandman666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well after playing around with the settings and trying different dvd`s i can honestly say that the picture quality is absolutely outstanding on my Sagem HDD-45 DLP tv,i have also noticed that my tv has the same Faroudja chipset technology as the dvd player and in 1080i the visuals are jaw dropping....SO YES I WILL BE KEEPING IT(bought from argos to be safe...:laugh: .)

14. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm glad you're pleased sandman666. I thought you'd be impressed, especially @ £99.99 ;)