which upgrade path to take

D

Dolby

Hi all,
I am looking to upgrade from my HK AVR80 pro-logic thx receiver to provide the digital imputs I require.

I have a number of options:
1) buy a processor/preamp and use my current amp as a power amp.
2) Buy a new receiver such as the Denon AVR3802/3
3) Buy a second hand product like the Denon 1se or 10se.

If anyone has had a similar dilema, any suggestion or alternative idea's would be much appreciated.

H

hobbes

I'd be tempted to go for either option 1 or 2.
A new amp such as the 3803 would offer you all the latest formats and good performance to boot. And the 3802 can be picked up for less than £600 new.
However with second hand flagship amps you dont often get all the sound modes but what you do get is top notch sound. The A10SE is a good unit on its own but if you went for the A1SE then you can always get the upgrade from denon that gives you Pro Logic 2 and THX Ultra 2 to name a few.

I'd probably go for the A1SE, if you can find someone who's willing to let one go that is :)

Pre/Power amps is something i'm not overly familiar with so cannot comment on them.

Shaun

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by Dolby
Hi all,
I am looking to upgrade from my HK AVR80 pro-logic thx receiver to provide the digital imputs I require.

I have a number of options:
1) buy a processor/preamp and use my current amp as a power amp.
2) Buy a new receiver such as the Denon AVR3802/3
3) Buy a second hand product like the Denon 1se or 10se.

If anyone has had a similar dilema, any suggestion or alternative idea's would be much appreciated.

I am not sure that option 1 would work if your existing pro logic receiver only had one rear channel of amplification.

There are big price differences between options 2 and 3 and it depends how important PL2 is to you.

A Denon AVC10SE can be had for about £450 and whilst it has processing for the extra surrounds it doesn't have built in amplification for them or PL2. This is the route that I took as I haven't the room for the extra speakers but still wanted a top quality THX certified amp

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Yeah Ian i noticed that too, very strange that he has two Denon amps for sale. There is no reserve either on the 10SE but first bid has to be over £500, which in my view is too much for a 3 year old machine in black. Can pick them up for £350-450.

H

hobbes

sorry Ian but that fellow is actually a woman :p

she gets a lot of denon stuff and recently sold a 3802 for £520 which isnt too bad as they are practically new.
She gets them off a Denon dealer so they all come with warrantys - there basically returns from customers who dont want them or factory rejects (box wrong size etc.)

Shaun

D

Dolby

Cheers for replying. Taking into account what you guys have said, I will look out for the 10se or 1se (depending on price), but if I dont find one soon I will probably go for the 3802.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom