Which upgrade path for my Pioneer VSX-2011?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Ninjaman, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    a. Power Amp - rotel RMB-1075

b. Processor - rotel rsp 1066/1068 or better

c. New Surround Receiver - yahama 2400 /2500

d. Integrated Stereo Amp.- arcam or roksan

The main issue is to improve the overall sound quality both multi channel and stereo. I like the sound of my old yahama in 5.1 but the pioneer is very good in stereo but not so lively in 5.1 or 7.1. I take it that improving the dsp processing will improve the overall sound much more than improving the amplication.

£800-£1000 to spend.

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ninjaman

What speakers do you have ? I have a 2011 that I nearly got rid of but a quick demo turned up the source of the whooly sound was the CD player. Turns out my "it's an AV amp - it don't do stereo" 2011 works brilliantly with stuff all the way up to a Cyrus CD8x and you still keep hearing the diffence in source quality (though perhaps not as much as if it were wired to a Cyrus 8 amp or similar with 2K speakers but hey - I've only got so much to spend on hifi).

One thing I did find with the 2011 is it doesn't like the 4ohm setting. I had a mix of new and old kefs - Q7 and Q35s (the latter 6ohm). When I replaced these with Qcompacts - no difference. Then I remembered the ohm setting on the amp and bingo - whole new dimension of sound appeared. I guess the amp isn't hugely powerful (the newer KEFs are all sensistive easy to drive speakers).

Only thing I would say after a demo I had last week - go listen to some kit - it really does clarify the source of the issue and then you can get the right piece of kit.

Andy

3. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Acoustic Energy 109 (biwired A+B speakers 2011s) floor standers.

Mind you they are a few years old, but were oustanding speakers in their time. Will check the ohm settings though!

4. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Centre Mission 75c 6 ohm, Front AE 109 6 ohm and Rear Mission 750 LE 6 ohm and my 2011s was set at 6 ohm! Speaker cables: QED Silver Anniversary: Biamped on Front AE109 and Biwire on Mission Centre 75C.

Hmmn. :confused:

5. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be the source of the problem - the Pio I guess doesn't have enough juice to do 6ohm stuff well perhaps - so it probably is the amplification rather than processing that's the problem. You need a mate with a power amp to lend you to see if it makes all the difference - just taking the load of front left/right speakers might make a big difference. I didn't try this route myself as the other half wanted rid of the floor standing rears. I'd definately want to do a home demo of a £1K piece of kit first though just to confirm if it solves the problem.

I'd looked originally to sell the 2011 (one sold on ebay for £500) and upgrade to arcam avr300 but I wasn't impressed with it at all (in fact prefered the 2011 in stereo !!!! now if that doesn't buck the trend to the arcam - both runnning direct source, no processing etc).

Best of luck
    Andy

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    The Pio should be fine for 6ohm speakers.

7. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pioneer 2011s is rated at 100w into 8ohms!

How much do get from 6 ohms speaker settings? :confused:

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Power amp, but perhaps something a little higher up than the Rotel 1075. You might consider a second-hand 2 or 3 channel amp and leave the rest with the Pioneer.