1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which universal Remote?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Huggy, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I hate my Marantz SR4200 remote.

It’s big, ugly, has far too many buttons which are really small, and it doesn’t replace the other remotes by a long shot. Mrs H is so flummoxed by it, she uses our 9 year old as the remote :D. So I am on the look out for a replacement, presumably a Universal Learning Remote.

Here are my criteria:

Essential:

· under 30 quid
    · capable of controlling DVD, Receiver, TV and VCR at once
    · good ergonomics, minimal number of clear buttons
    · capable of controlling or learning the codes for most kit out there
    · ability to program it so that I can switch every thing on/off with one button
    · ability to program it so that I can set a small number (say 6) of standard play settings for DVDs, CDs etc using one button

Desirable:

· Button backlighting
    · Good looking

Have no requirement for faddish LCDs etc. Just want something that all the family can use without PHDs in the subject.

Is this all too much to ask?

RSVP

Huggy

2. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At that price I'd go for the One-for-all 6. I've had one a while and it's doing TV, VCR, cable, DVD and receiver. It comes with a lot of devices pre-programmed, but can also learn obscure things like my Acoustic Solutions DVD. Also has the ability to download new codes via a phone or the internet.

You can set up macros and have a home cinema mode which combines multiple devices. I haven't tried these.

For the adventurous you can make a cable to link it to a PC. This allows backing up and programming. Something else I may try one day.

Overall it's a remarkable little device. It gives you limited feedback in the form of flashing the buttons, but programming is fairly easy if you keep the manual handy.

Should be available from most AV dealers. Company site at

http://www.oneforall-int.com/index.html

--
    Steve

3. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richersounds currently have the One For All Topline 8 at £9.99 (if you quote What Hi-fi, its £30 otherwise).

I'm probably going to get this to replace my SR4200 remote too.
    For controling the reciever its ok (although in the dark is impossible), for anything else its a nightmare.

At £9.99 you really can't go wrong can you, even if its crap you could probably flog it on ebay for more.

4. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks guys,

Checked these out, and the OFA 6 looks like the sort of spec I want. The OFA 8 may be cheaper using the route suggested, but… well it just looks so tacky.

Cheapest I can find the OFA 6 is 25 quid in Argos – but so far the 3 Argos’s I’ve checked have it out of stock – any other suggestions where I can get it?

5. Max

Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'd definitely recommend the one for all 6 as well. I got one last week from Argos for £25 - easy to set up with my TV, DVD, Sky digibox and video.

There's no backlight unfortunately, but the learning and macro modes couldn't be much simpler to use, which means you can configure it pretty much exactly the way you want it. Plus, it's got 8 (I think it is) extra buttons under the bottom flap and about half of the standard buttons are also user-configurable.

The only down side is that it's quite large - it makes the Sky remote seem almost small in comparison. But it is quite comfortable and you soon get used to the size.

If you can't find it in Argos, either try them online or go to Currys or Dixons who also sell them.

6. cdm22

cdm22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    I am currently selling an all-for-one 6. Yours for £18inc. Black in colour complete with instructions!
    cdm22@another.com if you need to contact me out of work hours.

7. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry didn't back to you over Xmas. Been away porking out on grub.

Anyway, I got an OFA 6 from Comet before I read your email.

Overall - reasonably happy. Took me an age to get it to work how I want it.

Problems:

1. No backlight
    2. Mrs H reluctantly uses it. Macros still beyond her.
    3. Can't progam a macro if a button needs to be held down. Bit of a bummer this, as my Panasonic telly needs the power to be held down to switch on off, so can't program simple macro to get everything on/off with 2 clicks.

This said, much more usable than the Marantz, and the small number of buttons with differnt shapes makes it fairly easy to learn use in a darkened room.

Thanks all

Huggy

8. john039

john039

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Question about the OFA 6...
    Does it perform just like a Sky remote? especially the back up button to get rid of the dreaded "red dot"

John

9. Max

Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    John,

The OFA 6 is pretty good for Sky because it's got the navigational buttons similar to the original Sky remote.

However, the round button in the middle of them is set as mute, but you can easily change this to 'Select'. Likewise, as you do not get a 'Backup' or 'Info' button, you can set these commands to other keys using the learning mode.

If you spend a little time configuring it, you should be able to replicate all the commands to control Sky the way you want it.