Which 'universal' Pal Prog player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by warrj, Mar 1, 2003.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking for a universal DVD player (i.e. one which plays DVD-V, DVD-A and SACD) with Pal Progressive output.

I'm slightly mystified by the delays, levels and bass management requirements of the new hi res formats but I'd like a player which did it 'properly'. Does such a player exist yet or should I hang fire for a few months?

Regards,

Jules.

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Only the Pioneer DV-757Ai does DVD-V, DVD-A and SACD. The performance in very and you can find many good reviews. A recent one is in the "What Video" magazine, March 2003 edition. However, it only does NTSC progressive scan. If you search this forum you will see that a firmware upgrade for PAL progressive is likely but Pioneer has not yet confirmed it.

BTW, Pio DV-656A will also do very well the above formats but it does not offer progressive scan.

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Jules...................Let's be honest.............What's out there that can replay DVD-A & SACD to the level you're expecting??????

Now, if my memory serves me correct...you have a great front end?????...................Is it Arcam?...Can't remember.

I have Meridian 596 (DCDI upgrade) & 568.2

I'll stick my neck out.....(to date)...No-one matches Meridian (what i've heard) with DVD-A........(and 2 channel)

They are DVD-A leaders.........digital connex......pricey, but stunning............They make fabulous digital processors.

SACD they do not support.

I'm sure you've read JD's comments on SACD for Arcam...

I suppose i'm trying to say, that perhaps Meridian, being the suppliers of MLP (coding format) of DVD-A, will be in a 'better' position to 'engage' on what the software houses are working on???????

Meridian offer digital 'proprietry' DVD-A link from player to processor....you can specify analogue RCA's from 598's (upgraded 596's)..but 568.2 (processors) have to be digital DVD-A link

596P &598AP / DP will give NTSC/PAL Prog Scan..(< informed)

Adzman

4. Rob KSA

Rob KSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all the reviews and product specs for the pioneer 656a, it says it has progressive scan. After a long search for a DVD player, I have decided to go for this. However, it is still not available here in Dhahran. Waiting for it!

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    rob

why dont you order from hivizone.com they are very reliable of what I have read from others and I have just ordered the q50 with pro scan ntsc and pal, they answer all your email very fast at least the next day if not the same day.

BY the way I used to work in Dammam and Khafji for a while

diont know how you can put up with it!!!

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Rob,

The US version of the 656A features NTSC progressive scan and DVD-A. The European version doesn't feature progressive scan, but does have DVD-A and SACD. Hope this helps.

Steve

7. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, very useful.

Spligsey - yep, I do have an Arcam front-end (CD23 + AV8). I should perhaps have pointed out that I wasn't looking for the ultimate in DVD-A or SACD performance (since it won't exist for at least five years). Rather I was looking for a 'good enough' stop gap.

It looks like it would be sensible to wait a few months (at least). I'd be better off spending the money on something dull yet 'sensible' - like new rears. Unfortunately the B&W SCM1s are 1500 squid - arrghhh! Why is it ALL so hideously expensive? Any ever feel like selling all their hi-fi and buying a 14" telly and mini-system?

Regards,

Jules.

8. Rob KSA

Rob KSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    evans,
    Thanks for the advise. You are right sometimes I wonder why myself. It's not too bad where I work tho.

Steve,
    Thanks, I don't know that. Since most a/v machines here in Dhahran seems to be the european version (specially pioneers), that should be a consideration that I have to make during the time of purchase.

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The Pio DV-757Ai has the i-link (IEEE 1394) approved standard on board for both SACD and DVD-A. So you have an excellent digital connection. The current issue is that only a couple of A/V amps have i-link capability. Naturally, newer models will gradually start including this. I heard at a colleague's the DV-757Ai connected to the VSA-AX10i amplifier using the i.link comnnection palying DVDA and SACD. It was simply fantastic sound.

10. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is also the Pioneer 747 which is a universal player and support PAL/NTSC progressive scan when purchased through either:

www.techtronics.com
    www.dvdupgrades.ch

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

11. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The 747 is supposed to be pretty poor.

The 757i is supposed to be a big improvement, and if Pioneer do decide to make an official PAL-P upgrade, I'd be very tempted to replace my current Philips 963SA with it....

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just curious, why so ?
    I have a 963 and really like its PQ, CD Upsampling and SACD.
    The latest Yamaha and Pioneer " Universal " players do look tasty though.

13. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Just curious, why so ?

No good reason apart from upgrade-itus!

I love the 963SA, although CD playback is so good I seem to be using it to listen to music more than play DVD's these days...

Can't wait for Dark Side of the Moon on SACD :)

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not too long to wait now :smashin: