Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which unit for archiving Sky+ and DV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steve 111, Jan 2, 2004.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Want to buy a DVD recorder to archive programs I have recorded via Sky + and also to archive my digital videos. Key functionality for archiving my DVs would be the ability to plug my DV camera straight into the unit (ideally at the front) and then just hit record on the recorder to copy across.

Which unit would serve me best for this?

2. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Although not overly familiar with other makes, I'd say your best bet was a Panasonic, either E60, HS2 or E100 depending on your budgt. All three have DV input & RGB input for the best quality from Sky+.

The HS2 & E100 also have Hard Drives, very good for copying stuff to, editing and then burning to DVD-R's for archive.

You can achieve similar results with the E60, but it's more hassle as you have to hover over the pause button whilst recording from Sky+ to get rid of the breaks....

Personally, I've got an HS2 and Sky+ and the combo is fantastic....

Had an order for Xmas programmes from my neice for stuff I wouldn;t want to watch. The ease of use of these 2 pieces of kit makes things a doddle...

Recorded about 6 hours of stuff on Sky+, leave it overnight to 'copy' to the HDD in the HS2. Dividethe 6 hours into the seperate programmes, edit out the adverts etc, and then burn to a couple of DVD-R's...

I cannot inmagine doing this without the HDD in the Panasonic as I can be doing other things, like browsing here, whilst the DVD-R gets burnt :)

In terms of price, I'm not 100% certain of the lastest, but I think you're looking at £350 for the E60, £550 for the HS2 & £750 for the E100...

HS2 gives you a 40GB Hard Drive, E100 gives you 80GB HDD are a few extra bells & whistles on top of the HS2.

3. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest, i'm not too concerned about having the edit capability, plus I was hoping to keep the cost below £300. Does the Panny E50 have DV input?

4. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The Toshiba DR1 has DV in but you can only record in S-Video from your Sky+. Not as good as RGB but still good. I've ordered mine for £299.83 inc VAT & Delivery.

The Panny E60 has firewire I think but retails about £350.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to archive your recordings I would suggest you increase your budget and buy a dvdr with a HDD as sky has no editing facilities

surely you would need this to edit your camcorder recordings

The Pioneer 5100 would be ideal for you unfortunately it is double your budget

6. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HS2 arrived couple of days ago. I started archiving my DV tapes (I have a few dozen) onto the HDD and immediately saw the benefit of doing this over directly writing to a DVD-R.
    I can leave the tape 'copying' to the HDD while I watch TV, browse this forum, eat my dinner, <gasp> play with the kids...
    I can then compile DVDs and, if necessary, edit dead-air from the DV transfers or even split longer tapes into multiple programmes. While it's not exactly frame-accurate editing (if you're used to 'real' video editing) it doesn't take long to do and makes all the difference between an 'archive' DVD and a DVD you'll actually watch.
    Don't underestimate the advantages of having the HDD.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Steve E60 has what you need but without the HD editing is difficult if you dont want any editing, done on camera etc. Shop around and you should get an E60 for your budget territory

8. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Have to agree with the comments regarding the HS2.

I have Sky+, DV camcorder and an HS2 - it is just fabulous for archiving, and very simple to use which is a big bonus. Save for a bit longer, you won't regret it!

9. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Steve, I know they are not as popular as the pannies, but I just bought a philips dvdr75 from richer sounds for £220 (multi region). It uses DVD +rw, seems quite reliable and simple to use, has rgb input, optical output for dolby dig, and has i-link firewire at the front. It does not have a hard drive, but will archive your dv footage no problem.
    I must say though that now I have it, I can see what the advantages would be with a built in hard drive. However I have a pc, and dvd +rw discs are cheap and reuseable, so I think you could in effect record from sky + onto a dvd +rw recorder, then edit it on your pc and then archive onto a dvd+r. I dont know if anyone has done this but at £80 ish for a sony +- R/RW it may represent a cheap alternative to the pannies. Has/does anyone do this ?

10. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve 111, if your like me and do your editing in computer and just want to output to DVD then e60 is your answer. E 50 does not have a firewire input and so is no good to you. Having said that, if you need to edit, then you need the hs2.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    AS PC DVD drives can be bought for £80 now i suggest that a PC DVD drive and a recorder with digital connection is the budget way to make sure if you go panny route you get a RAM PC drive! or +RW route a +RW PC drive!

12. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    one final point - the sony dvd on sale at pc world for about £80 can cope with most formats bar the ram cassette things. I dont know what the latest editing software is like but there will be loads of stuff about and I would think that the drive speeds make editing at decent quality a lot quicker than commercial dvd recorders.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Can it use RAM discs that are not in case???
    If so is a steal for all panny owners out there!

14. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    horny dragon im not sure as I was only looking for the +_rw bit, but they seemed to have a lot if not all of the formats covered. Having looked on pc world's site it is advertised at 99 quid, though here are two other dvd ram drives for less. Unfortuntaely they all (including the sony) seem to be described a sdual format i.e +_RW - no mention of panasonic dvd ram. Best bet is to physically nip down and check a box -

15. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Folks

The LG4040 PC DVD rewriter can write 4X to +/- also +rw/-rw and caddyless DVD-RAM and can be found at ebuyer.co.uk for about £90.

Alternatively the new Pioneer 107 is due out at the end of January and writes at 8X on +/- 4X +rw/-rw it also reads RAM out of the cartridge. I received an e-mail from blankdiscshop.co.uk about this and it's probably the drive I'll buy.

They currently have stock of the new NEC 2500 which also writes at 8X on +/- and 4X on +rw/-rw also 32X CD-r for £99.98

16. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips DVDR75 at Richer for £220 does everything you ask. I bought one; the picture quality is quite good; records from Sky RGB. Playback is even better on my Pioneer. I found it a bit a learning curve to become adept at deleting the ads. I've tried using a PC but I don't like the time it takes to capture the video; a typical film is going to play for 2 hours into your PC.

17. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ancientgeek, just out of interest have you noticed any 'freezing' of your r75? On a couple of occasions now mine seems to get 'stuck' either on a menu screen, or as I have just experienced the red circular record light was on, but there was no power or response anywhere else. Unplugging the power lead seems to remedy it, but I wonder if the r75 is prone to software problems - if so longer term it might be worth avoiding?