Which Uhd player with Jvc N7?

gp73

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I Will get Jvc N7 projector next week, and I was wondering what your advice would be regarding which player to buy.
I was looking to get either Oppo 203 or Panasonic Ub9000.
I Will connect The player to Lumagen Radiance pro, which I already own.
Any advice would be appriciated.
Thank you

I don’t have an NX7 but the Panasonic is a fine player. Just gotten one last week and it’s great build quality, quiet with plenty of options.

Just a quick question have you found that the Radiance Pro makes a significant difference? I have an X7000 and rather than upgrade to NX7 like yourself am considering a Lumagen to sort HDR etc.

The Panasonic has an HDR optimiser for tone mapping which works with the new JVC 4K projectors. I was thinking about a JVC/Panasonic combination but I haven't seen the results of the optimiser. Any comments would be appreciated.

I don’t have an NX7 but the Panasonic is a fine player. Just gotten one last week and it’s great build quality, quiet with plenty of options.

Just a quick question have you found that the Radiance Pro makes a significant difference? I have an X7000 and rather than upgrade to NX7 like yourself am considering a Lumagen to sort HDR etc.

If you haven’t seen what difference a Lumagen makes you should give Gordon of Converent AV a call and have him come demo it, the difference is remarkable, way more than the switch to the NX7.

If you haven’t seen what difference a Lumagen makes you should give Gordon of Converent AV a call and have him come demo it, the difference is remarkable, way more than the switch to the NX7.
Yes I’m dealing with Gordon. A demo sounds like a good idea thanks.

Yes I’m dealing with Gordon. A demo sounds like a good idea thanks.

Get him to calibrate your projector at the same time and kill two birds with the one stone.

The Panasonic has an HDR optimiser for tone mapping which works with the new JVC 4K projectors. I was thinking about a JVC/Panasonic combination but I haven't seen the results of the optimiser. Any comments would be appreciated.
I have a UB820 and the optimiser is good if your screen can’t do the optimisation/tone mapping itself, so the generation before xX900and earlier etc. With the N5/7/9 they have tone mapping built in so not sure in that instance how useful the Panasonic optimiser would be as isn't the player and PJ then trying to do the same thing when it’s probably best left for one or the other to do it?

If you are running everything through the Lumagen which will take care all the tone mapping then the cheapest Panasonic UHD player will do.

When having a lumagen pro ill recommend the OPPO or Xbox, as non of those suffer from backdoor processing and chipset limitations like the Panasonic players, so you will get a cleaner more acurate image with those.

Only benefit of the Panasonic players is the tonemapping, the rest is compromised.

'The OPPO also have a source direct function wich will let you setup the lumagen to handle all upscaling, wich its best at, the Panasonic and OPPO upscaling is nothing to be proud of, and im told the JVC is also not very good at that as well.

Last edited:
When having a lumagen pro ill recommend the OPPO or Xbox, as non of those suffer from backdoor processing and chipset limitations like the Panasonic players, so you will get a cleaner more acurate image with those.

Only benefit of the Panasonic players is the tonemapping, the rest is compromised.

'The OPPO also have a source direct function wich will let you setup the lumagen to handle all upscaling, wich its best at, the Panasonic and OPPO upscaling is nothing to be proud of, and im told the JVC is also not very good at that as well.

I concur regarding Panasonic’s upscaling being not that great, I’ve switched between it and the Epson and personally prefer the Epson though I doubt it’s anything to write home about either.

Lumagen is the business and definitely on my bucket list soon.

I concur regarding Panasonic’s upscaling being not that great, I’ve switched between it and the Epson and personally prefer the Epson though I doubt it’s anything to write home about either.

Lumagen is the business and definitely on my bucket list soon.

And with the Panasonic you need to enter the menu and change resolution every time you change disc format, if you dont want to use the build in scaler.

The Xbox is a very good scaler, and have chroma multitap processing, but only have tosling and HDMI out for sound, and can not be forced to 4:2:2 component out.
It is however the best UHD player at its price, specially concidering how all Panasonics players cant pass the source material intact.

And with the Panasonic you need to enter the menu and change resolution every time you change disc format, if you dont want to use the build in scaler.

The Xbox is a very good scaler, and have chroma multitap processing, but only have tosling and HDMI out for sound, and can not be forced to 4:2:2 component out.
It is however the best UHD player at its price, specially concidering how all Panasonics players cant pass the source material intact.

It’s one of my pet hates about their players, I just wished the Sony offered the HDR mapping as I rate my X700 as a better player so I currently have the Sony for 1080P discs and the Panasonic for UHD stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom