1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which type of Thomson projection TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by xe0104, Feb 15, 2003.

1. xe0104

xe0104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am very close to buying a projection TV.
    I have narrowed the field down to two machines both from Thomson: the 44JW610S and the 52JW640S. At first I thought that the only difference between the two would be 8", but at a dutch site I saw that the 610 does not have PIP, while the 640 do. In my quest for a new TV I've seen a lot of things that were told by one site, while another site said the complete oposite, so I am not too certain whether or not I should believe this.

So my question to you is twofold: can you advice me on which of the two machines is the better, and on the otherhand what the true difference between the two is.

Thanks.:smashin:

2. xe0104

xe0104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having re-read my own post, I see that I wasn't asking the real questions: what are your experiences with either of the two modules.

Yesterday I have seen the 610 in one shop where the picture was purely terrible: subtitles were all blurry with bits of red leaking out on one side and bits of blue on the other. Yet in another shop I saw the same type where the subtitles were pretty clear. I am new to this field, but from what I've read this is probably down to faulty convergense of the beams. So I was wandering is that due to the fact that they simply didn't tune the fist box, or is that something that can't be tuned and that the first machine was just somethat iffy?

Furthermore I would like to know if I can connect my DVD player with prog scan to these machines. And finally if it is possible to connect the speaker of these TV's as center speaker to my AV amp. This would mean that the audio signal of the TV would first go to the amplifier, after which the amp would send the signal for the center speaker back to it. It is not too important but if would mean that I don't need to place a additional speaker in my room.

I know that this are a lot of questions, but I do hope that some of you out there are willing to share your experiences with me.

Marcel.:clap:

3. andyw

andyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Marcel,

I have the 46" Thomson 4:3 and i must admit that i am very happy with it, although to make sure you get the best picture from it you WILL need to go into the service menu to calibrate the
    convergence properly. The 3 crosses just aren't enough to do it.

The picture that you saw in the shop would also not have been calibrated properly, especially seeing that shops are always well lit affairs.

If you have a NTSC prog DVD player then yes you will get progressive scan, even though in the service menu it says Prog50, it works best on NTSC sources

You can route the audio to an amp, but not vice versa. Your best bet would be to set your processor to phantom mode to take care of the center speaker (not perfect i know) but it is the only way without you having to splash out on a new speaker

My thomson doesn't have PIP, so i can't comment on your last question, although to be honest, if you purchased either model you would be very pleased with it IF you set it up correctly, plus the RGB input is x2 scarts, with the third Comp/Svideo

andyw

4. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hallo andyw,

I just bought a Thomson 40KW613 and i've got the convergence
    problem....

could you tell me how u got into service mode?

hope it stayed the same on the newer models..

thx in advance,

bernd

5. xe0104

xe0104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bernd,

On the Thomson I ultimately bought (52JW640S), you go to the service menu by putting the box in stand-by mode through the remote control, and then pressing the "vol-" and "chanel-" on the set itself simultaneously and holding them down for approx. 8 seconds.

Best regards, Marcel.

6. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thx for that Marcel,

I've found the menu and it seems reasonable enough,
    the engineer seems to have done the 3*3 gridpoints and
    the 5*5 gridpoints, when i look at them they seem fine.

Looks like i have to go through the 195 points in the last menu point (phew)

Have you had good convergence? Have you tried the grids?
    Sorry to bother you more ... Has anybody done the whole
    195 gridpoints on a Thomson RP?

If so i've looked through the menu and when i want to store my custom settings, the menu text tells me to calibrate something.

How would i do that ?

sorry if a little confusing, but i don't seem to be able to store my configuration which is quite a pain after going through 195
    gridpoints.....

Hope anybody can help,

thx in advance,

Bernd

7. xe0104

xe0104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bernd,

Yes, I went through all 192 points (several times even, as each time you move your set the allignment is liable to get out of sync again). It made a world of difference, especially with subtitles and the text pages. This is most noticeable with red, so pay special attention to that colour.

After I set the convergence, and return to the convergence menu, i get two options: one ot get the default settings, and another to store the new settings. This is a checkbox. So I have to check this option and then go to the previous menu to actually save it. This is somewhat clumpsy, but it does do the trick.

Good luck with it.

Marcel.

8. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for that Marcel,

alright trhen got 192 points to go......

so it actually saves it if you check save and the hit return....

ok that should do it then ,

thx very much, hope i don't move the thing very much
    as it sits on a Stand.

cheers,
    Bernd