Which type of modular light switches for smart switches?

techno79

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm very keen on to get Shelly Dimmer modules behind my light switches at some future point (when budget allows), in the meantime I wanted to get some nice metal finished modular light switches that would work with the Shelly Dimmer but also with my current non-smart setup. I'll probably need 3 position retractive switches, so I assume these will work with the non-smart setup. But the question is, what modular light system is recommended?

I read a few people talking about Scolmore GridPro. Are these any good?

I want something that's pretty future proof in that they have strong support and popular (so they'll be around for a while). Also, something that gives me a bit of choice with the colour and finish (I really like the brushed nickel/metal look).

Thoughts?

Retractive switches wont work as a normal light switch, unless you stand there and hold the switch in all the time.

The Varilight Grid system is my favourite modular switch aesthetically and the normal modules are very cheap so not the end of the world if you'll eventually be throwing them away and replacing with a retractive module. Personally I decided against using grid switches as they're still not as nice looking as other switch ranges IMO

Varilight or Scolmore grid systems

Also echo @Jamie 's comment about not being able to use the retractive switches without the shelly module

Doh...yeah, now I think about it, not sure why I thought retractive switches would work. Will have to do the modular switch updates at the same time as the Shelly Dimmer install.

So is there much difference between Scolmore vs Varilight in terms of price or quality?

I had the opportunity to compare both, for the finish I wanted I thought the Varilight looked less like like a grid switch and better to my eyes. This was specifically the Varilight screwless brushed stainless version

Truth is they're both good options and it's just a personal preference or whichever matches your other accessories.

I agree with @Jamie I think the quality is similar. It’s much down to personal taste
image.jpg
image.jpg

Those are Scolmore Click

I had the opportunity to compare both, for the finish I wanted I thought the Varilight looked less like like a grid switch and better to my eyes. This was specifically the Varilight screwless brushed stainless version

Truth is they're both good options and it's just a personal preference or whichever matches your other accessories.
I like the sound of the screwless design.

Any recommended websites or shops to purchase these from?

I've used TLC direct a few times and they've been excellent. They stock the Varilight for sure.

When I was comparing the 2 it was at a local trade counter, so unless you're in Harrogate that recommendation won't help.

Another vote for click deco - got them in the whole house with about 5-6 retractive

I've never used Varilight grid switches, other than their plate dimmer switches, which are great products.

I've used quite a few Scholmore products and found them comparable with MK, but slightly cheaper. I suppose my preference has always been MK, but as others have said, if you have a particular style or colour then most of the main players products are as good as each other.

I draw the line at LAP though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom