1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which twin output graphic card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by keelby1, Dec 10, 2003.

1. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm looking for a graphics card to output a VGA signal for my panny ae100 and svideo into my tv. This would be used for dvds and gaming.

I'm really looking for value for money and not the latest spec.

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you aware of the poor picture quality you'll get by using S-Video on a TV, silly question but why not use the pj for DVDs and games?

The Radeon range of vga cards have DVI, 15 Pin and S-Video outputs.

3. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I only want the tv when I'm using the pc for a jukebox and possibably playing games.
    I'm assuming the quality will be of an acceptable level for this.

4. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My experience is that s-video isn't too bad for watching TV or films, but an s-video feed is pretty dire compared to the picture quality of a proper video connection. Even at 640 X 480, text will be blurry and hard to read compared to a computer monitor. Of course if your using winamp and you run it zoomed to double size it would be OK, but don't expect to do much else with it.

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    <sigh>

S-video isn't, in my experience, always bad. I have an old 29" Toshiba Pro-logic telly that gives a clear, but dull image via RGB. S-video is perfectly watchable, and just as detailed, from all of the sources for which it's used. I run a DVD player, Netgem Freeview box, JVC video and output from a Radeon 9000 Pro to the television's s-video ports. All give a marvelous, noise-free image - digital artefacts (of the source) excepted! :laugh:

For me, the Radeon output is perfectly readable up to 1024x768 (which is, of course, scaled back down) and anything but blurry. My brother was stunned at the quality of image from the PC and repeatedly sought to do the same with his (using a Radeon 9500 Pro). Sadly for him, his television appears to be the weak link, giving a near-unusable image for anything but video. In this case, the picture is awfully blurry - highlighted still further when my brother praised the 9000 Pro image, whilst I thought it was unusually poor. An hour or two later (we had been up for two days! :boring: ), I realised that the TV noise-reduction was switched on. D'oh!

Incidentally, during something like ten years of ownership, the aforementioned noise-reduction has almost permanently been 'on'. On buying the above hardware during the last year, that situation has entirely reversed. S'pose I can't say any more, really :smashin:

Anyway, enough qualification. As I've said elsewhere, go for it. You could be one of the lucky ones!