Which TV's have Dolby Atmos built in

STEVENM1000

Novice Member
HI,
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
As far as I can tell the 2017 LG Oleds are the only tv's which have the Dolby Atmos capability built in as standard.
So unless you have another Atmos source e.g. Bluray etc, it is pointless having the Dolby Atmos system speakers or soundbars unless you have an Oled tv.
None of the other main brands appear to offer it, it would seem at the moment.

Khazul

I guess it depends on your signal chain. If BD/STB->Atmos receiver->TV then any TV will do.

As for DD+ Atmos encoding from smart TV apps (via ARC), then yes - you need the right TV which AFAIK is only the 2017 LG OLEDs.

AndyRg4

To be honest it is a completely useless feature for the TV to have. The very best a TV can hope for is stereo sound and generally only adequate at best. To get Atmos you need upfiring or in ceiling speakers to create the height effects. The Atmos encoding for LG OLED TVs is purely for when you are using the TV speakers, so as mentioned at the beginning, is pointless.
If you have the sound system for Atmos and are thinking you need an Atmos capable TV to use the built in apps, that is not the case. The Atmos soundtrack can be held in a Dolby Digital Plus container which all TVs should support (from the big four certainly), it is just a case of the apps themselves having Atmos content (none of which do if I recall correctly but Netflix is sure to be one of the first)

Garway

Novice Member
To be honest it is a completely useless feature for the TV to have. The very best a TV can hope for is stereo sound and generally only adequate at best. To get Atmos you need upfiring or in ceiling speakers to create the height effects. The Atmos encoding for LG OLED TVs is purely for when you are using the TV speakers, so as mentioned at the beginning, is pointless.
If you have the sound system for Atmos and are thinking you need an Atmos capable TV to use the built in apps, that is not the case. The Atmos soundtrack can be held in a Dolby Digital Plus container which all TVs should support (from the big four certainly), it is just a case of the apps themselves having Atmos content (none of which do if I recall correctly but Netflix is sure to be one of the first)
The Dolby Atmos is to pass thru the eARC to your AV receiver or Sound Bar.

Top Bottom