Question Which TV?

jeffusher

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm off to buy a new LG TV on the weekend and have been very much confused by all the different models and features at the moment. I'm a geek and still find it confusing.

Currently I am stuck between:

Richer Sounds: 49SK8100PLA @£549
Costco: 50UM7500PLA @ £479.98

The 8100PLA had Nano Cell, Dolby Vision HDR10 etc
The 7500PLA just has HDR10 and HLG but Active HDR (?)

I play a lot of HDR content on Netflix etc so on paper the 8100PLA would seem to be the better option. But then the 7500PLA I believe is a newer model as the 8100PLA is now discontinued and I'm always wary of buying a discontinued model.

Any advice appreciated before I part with my cash.

Jeff

Last edited:
First of all, I'm sorry, because TV tech will spin your brain wildly, and it's a drag you cannot unhear/unsee :D

So, about your question, not even nearly easy to pick.

49SK8100 has an IPS panel, only 50Hz, but is nano cell, edge backlight with local dimming from 2018. It is also brighter and better with HDR.

50UM7500 should be a VA panel, 50Hz, direct LED backlight without local dimming or nano cell filter but from 2019. All 50", 60", 70" have a VA panel from other manufacturers and only direct LED without local dimming.

Here are 2018/2019 spreadsheets you can look at:

http://hdtelevizija.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/lg-2018-oled-tv-lineup.jpg

http://hdtelevizija.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/LG_TV-LineUp_chart_2019.jpg

If you watch in a bright room and you need wide viewing angles (more than 20°) you need an IPS. If you mostly watch in a darker or completely dark room (like in a movie theater) and watch from straight ahead, you need a VA panel. Yes, there is no having it all sadly, except if you spend at least twice as much, like an OLED or the new Samsung Q90R.

Looking at your options I would still go for the SK8100 that will have more brightness and better colors and CPU, except (!) if you watch movies in a dark room because IPS panels have a gray(ish) black because the backlught bleeds through it more than with a VA panel. Or maybe go for a bigger 55SK8100 that has a 100Hz (200 truemotion) native panel.

Wichever you choose, take into account they are all uncalibrated out of the box (except factory calibrated cinema modes for a dark room viewing so they are less bright). Especially since the dimm Eco mode is default, and some eco options are on by default also...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mad Ant,

My brain has said SK8100 all along because of the Nanocell, Dolby Vision etc etc. So looks like that is the way to go. My brain also keeps saying go for a 2019 model not a 2018 discontinued one ....arghhhhhh. But I think the brightness and colors will win the day on the SK8100.

Thanks

Jeff

Thanks Mad Ant,

My brain has said SK8100 all along because of the Nanocell, Dolby Vision etc etc. So looks like that is the way to go. My brain also keeps saying go for a 2019 model not a 2018 discontinued one ....arghhhhhh. But I think the brightness and colors will win the day on the SK8100.

Thanks

Jeff
If you want the same as SK8100 but from 2019 you should look at 49SM8200. Or SM8500 that is 100Hz native (200 truemotion). And I hope you don't watch in a darker room because of IPS blooming/bleed in the dark in dark scenes. Also, set local dimming to low or turn it off if it bothers you (vertical stripes that turn on/off).

And I hope you don't watch in a darker room because of IPS blooming/bleed in the dark in dark scenes

So the 50UM7500 will have better black levels and light bleed but less bright and less colors?

Jeff

So the 50UM7500 will have better black levels and light bleed but less bright and less colors?

Jeff
Yes, a VA panel will have better blacks, best seen in a dark room, but also very small viewing angles (where color intensity goes off and afterwards brightness as you move to the side). Nano cell line (SK and SM) will have a more bright panel so they have a better HDR experience, wider viewing angles (up to cca 60°) but are IPS and have more blooming in dark scenes in a dark room. Fiddling with myriad of options will lessen that but will still be visible to an extent. Some people have LED lights/strips behind or around the TV to lessen blooming.

Thats a good one, VA panel.

It seems to be one of those midmodels with only one year warranty that gives it away. And descriptions are mismatched - one says IPS, one that it is edge... It should be VA and direct LED.

Usually you find 70UK6950 or 70UK6200.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen IPS on the specs somewhere and on that link where it’s being sold. I knocked it and didn’t see it flash. Whatever it is I have no complaints.

I actually paid £680 from Crampton and Moore on eBay on a discount weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom