1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cxt32, Jan 1, 2005.

1. cxt32

cxt32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to buy a plasma or LCD screen. It must be compatible with Sky's forthcoming HD. I understand that a lot of so called 'HDTVs' will not work now because of HDCP or something, so which is the one to get right now?

Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would seriously consider not buying an expensive large screen TV with SKY's HD service in mind unless you have HD content right now that can make use of the technology you will be paying a lot of money for.
    Prices will drop quite a lot and go hand in hand with increasing screen size and resolution perhaps even making a 1920*1080 panel viable for "normal" viewers:)

Personaly opinion only of course but having waited for 6 months for a 50" HD Plasma and then getting hit from the questionable DVI/HDMI interfaces and SKY's HDCP announcements I decided to save £2000 and buy a good quality LCD safe in the knowledge that it can be replaced with minimal disruption/cost in 18 months and still
    handle my HD video via the PC.

If you must spend a lot of money right now then go to the Plasma and/or LCD forum, panel specs and connections are being discussed all the time and the capability of so called HD panels is a major topic atm :)

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best Sky HD compatible plasma is the Hitachi 5300, you can pick it up for just over £2K on the net. :thumbsup:

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I hope you're not telling that to too many of your customers !

It is rumoured that the new Sky HD box will output 720p/50 and 1080i/50, and the Hitachi 5300 will display neither of these :nono:

5. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I mean the 5200

6. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    is that true that the 5200 will be sky hd compatible?

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Nobody knows for sure. Sky actually sell a plasma very similar to the 5200 (some say it is a re-badge) with the same specs and they call it "HD compatible". Since SkyHD could still be up to 2 years away*, nobody knows for sure, because a lot can happen in 2 years.

*It's supposed to start "during 2006", but that could be 31/12/2006

8. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks nick.been looking at the 5200 for a while now and worrying about this hd issue.might just go for it now :thumbsup:

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just thought I'd stick my nose in here in order to mention that there are LCD's fully HD compatible right now. For instance, the Philips 32PF9986 & 37PF9986 can both display 720p50 & 60Hz, 1280i50 & 60Hz plus numerous others. Both are fully HDCP enabled.

I believe there are TV's from Sharp and Thomson that are similarly capable. Picture Quality on the Philips is beyond anything that most Plasmas can hope to achieve.

Jimmy

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't think so. You are probably right with the HDTV compatability bit, but I want a TV where blacks are black when you are looking at them at an angle other than 90 degrees, and where the colour doesn't change when the angle between you and the screen does. Also, I wouldn't let anything with a Philips label on it into my house - far too many bad experiences in the past.

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree about the reputation that Philips has over quality control, and to be honest, I'm not a fan of Philips in general. But when I saw what the 9986 can do with a Progressive Scan Component input running through the PixelPlus2 processing I was absolutely staggered. Makes everything else look poor, including the very best Plasmas. It does an outstanding job with day to day TV as well.

I'll agree, Nick, sit off to one side more than 45 degrees from head on and the contrast does suffer slightly, but colours remain true until you are almost looking at it edge on. The Black goes 'bluey', that's all. I'm prepared to forgive it.

Jimmy

12. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    What's your budget, and how long would you be looking to keep the tv for? i.e. my parents only replace their set when the old one fails, or it's uneconomical to repair. My neighbours are the same and have a 21" tv without a scart it's that old! video player where the tape ejects from the top of the player etc. Both must have been bought in the 1980's. They buy good quality expensive equipment but expect it to last. Just if you were looking to keep the set for 5-10+ years, you might want to wait til 1920 by 1080p is the standard rather than the exception if you're buying a 42" or greater set. Especially as it's likely Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be encoded at 1080p. On the other hand, if you're likely to replace in 3-5 years, a 1280 by 720p or 1366 by 768 would probably do fine.

Personally I bought a 26" lcd set that thought was relatively future proof having 720p/1080i, (til Sky's digital connection announcement), as a stop gap til prices of 1920 by 1080p tv sets came down. This was bought mainly because I wanted a widescreen tv for the 100+ dvds I have. My 21" 4:3 set wasn't up to the job. Even with this set I've seen the price fall £500 in 5 months. I've never known prices to fall so quickly. If I had already had a widescreen crt I would have waited. At least until 2006 when there are hi-def sources available in the shape of Sky's hi-def service, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Having a hi-def tv without hi-def is a little pointless really.

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm sure that when HDTV finally arrives, there will be all sorts of adaptor boxes available. My Hitachi 5300 isn't truly HD, because it has no digital input, but I can input HD pictures from a PC at 1024 x 768. The input isn't digital, but 1024 x 768 is high-definition. Actually, my PC does a better job than the Hitachi 5200 does, because the 5200 crops the HDTV picture to map it to a 1024 x 768 screen.

14. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Agree with you here Nick. I fully expect that there'll be HDCP enabled reciever boxes in plentiful supply nearer the time to provide HD signals to non-HDCP sets. Bound to be...

Jimmy

15. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Won't they be illegal though? :confused:

16. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    But won't they be in breach of the HDCP licensing by doing this? The whole point of HDCP is to ensure that there ISN'T component analogue or unencrypted digital flying around that we could record (say onto HD-D5 VTRs for mastering unauthorised copies)

It would be like manufacturing and selling multi-region DVD players, or DVD software that decrypts DVDs to allow backup, or software to change the region in a DVD-ROM driver... Err... Maybe you're right - they just won't be available officially!

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Quite Right Stephen! The HDCP really should be built into the Panel in order to prevent piracy. That's the whole point after all! Woops!

Just as well mine is HDCP enabled...

Jimmy