1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which TV? - your opinions appreciated

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by boo, Aug 14, 2002.

1. boo

boo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hope you can give me a little advice? We need to replace our Hitachi TV which packed in the other month. As it's still under 1yr guarantee and it can't be repaired and Curry's have said we can exchange the TV. I've had a little look around and have come up with the following TV's and wondered what you thought of them:-

Sony KD32DX40 32" Virtual Dolby, WEGA, flatscreen
    Sony KV32FQ75 32" 100hts Nicam

Toshiba 32ZD26P 100htz Nicam
    Toshiba 32ZP18Q 100htz Dolby Digital

Toshiba 40PW13B 40" rear projection TV (know nothing about these, are they any good???)

Or if there are any other good buys upto £1200.00 can you please let me know?

Many thanks

lisa

2. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Picked up the 36" 36ZP18 from Sound and Vision, Bolton 2-3 months back for only £1400.00. Fed with NTL Digital (RGB) or Tosh 210 (component) and pic is excelent.

A friend has just picked up the new Philips 36" pixel plus for quirte a bit more and wishes he had also gone for the 36ZP as he know feels the pixel plus picture is very artifical.

Best advise is to take yoru favorite dvd and go and play it on the ones you like to see the differences. Remember though some sets are better with Digital RGB signals but poor on plain old analouge signals.

Regards,

Chris L.

3. ROGER B

ROGER B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at the toshibas

the Toshiba 32ZD26P has progressive scan and the picture is glorious, better than that on the ZP, however it is only nicam where the ZP IS DD5.1

So it depends what your after, if you want a tv thats all in one go for the zp18q, if not and your going to be using a separate amp the zd26 is better and cheaper too.

dont know what dvd player you have but if you have one of the newer or high end toshibas they have component outputs as do the tosh tv's connected like this the picture is simply stunning.

hope this helps

ROGER B

4. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    If your DVD player can output compenent video consider the Toshiba strata range.

5. boo

boo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I did a search last night on both the TV's and noticed a lot of people were unhappy with the Sony so it looks like it'll be the Tosh, unless someone else has any other recommendations???

Thanks

Lisa

6. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Point1 - do not buy a Sony CRT TV full stop - they all have the scrolling bars.

dont know what you rbudget is buit I have the Sony 44" RP and its fantastic, great for digital and DVDs and games.

7. boo

boo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have to make sure first that Curry's give us our money back which we are entitled. Ha ha that should be a laugh.

Chris L - I rang Sound & Vision and they've quoted me £1150 for the Toshiba, when I mentioned Robertsons Online's price of £1110 they asked me to check their availability. Typically Robertsons have a 2 - 3 week delivery so if Curry's don't match Sound & Vision's price we demand a refund as Curry's are asking £1424 for the same telly

:eek: :eek:

pi3141 - we've got approx £1000 - £1200 to spend.

Lisa

8. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Have a look Here some ppl say that the customer service could be better, you pay your money and take your chance I did and am very happy.

9. Bluestu

Bluestu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Boo only advice I can offer is to stay clear of the FQ75. Mine's going back any day now after months of problems.....see scrolling bars thread.

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sony DX40 is pretty good - however only 2 Scarts - 1 for DVD and 2 for VCR - but Sony IDTVs are better than seperate boxes.

AVoid FQ75

11. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please also read Sony's official statement on the scrolling bars. It doesn't mention any specific models but clearly implies all their 100hz sets suffer from this problem which they have now admitted and unable to fix it completely. Their sets are also not suitable for watching "extreme picture contents" or under "under extreme viewing conditions". I suppose it's okay if you don't turn it on to watch !!!

fwan