Answered Which TV would you get from JL around £1200

reliable65

Established Member
Reaction score
So my Sony KDL50W829 I got from John Lewis is going to be replaced

JL have offered me this

Sony Bravia KD55XF8577 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, 55" £759

or i can have £759 toward new tv

Would i be better upgrading to this and paying £439 towards it?

LG OLED55B8SLC OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55" with Freeview Play/Freesat HD, Dolby Atmos, Picture-On-Metal Design & Crescent Stand, Ultra HD Certified, Black & Silver

I dont want to stick to what John Lewis are offering because ill only have 6 months warranty left

Ideally i was looking to get a tv around the £1000 price (any recomendations), but if the LG is as good as they say , i could push to that

I use my TV for Sky Q and watch a lot of sport (so need good smooth picture) and General TV, occasionally watch netflix, no gaming at all, no dvd/bluray player

Thanks in advance

Your current TV is using a VA type panel and is a very good TV, it holds up well today against even mid range competition and it will still probably be better at displaying content that is poorer overall quality like regular broadcast TV.

If you want the next TV to look good with dark scenes and/or in a dimly lit room you will not want to replace it with the new XF85/XF87 series which is this year using a IPS type panel. See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

A much better option and more equivalent in spec would be the Samsung NU8000 or if you want better HDR, the Sony XF9005, for your use though I do not think HDR will be used much, if at all. Sky are supposed to be introducing it but likely for you it will be limited to one-off sporting events that are broadcast in it like the football world cup and Wimbledon.

That aside, if you can afford the LG B8 OLED it certainly ticks most boxes and will give you a nice boost in picture quality across board, be it HDR or none HDR, so certainly its a good option if you can afford it. Not just that but prices are starting to get very good on this model too as it gets closer toward being end of life, it won't be long before its available sub £1000.

Motion processing is very subjective, if you like the motion on your last TV the safest option you will be happy with would be the Sony XF9005 but the Samsung NU8000 is also good with motion and the LG B8 even better if you want to avoid motion blur altogether.

LCD and OLED motion are very different though, so your eyes may need time to adjust.

Lots of sports would make me lean towards the XF9005. It’s widely regarded as having best motion on current sets within your budget.

I’d definitely test an oled first before buying as response times and the stutter they induce can be more noticeable to some than others.

Which one?

Samsung UE55NU8000 HDR 1000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55" £729

Samsung UE65NU8000 HDR 1000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65" £1099

Sony Bravia KD55XF9005 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, £1099

LG OLED55B8SLC OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55" £1194

Last edited:
I'd get the 65" NU8000 with your sources just to go bigger. You can't beat a bigger screen when it comes to sport, especially if you watch sport in UHD.

If going smaller I'd get the OLED.

But as already mentioned its impossible to know what you will make of the motion on all 3, you may only like the Sony's motion, especially if you are used to it on your old TV.

But its likely you will be happy with motion on all 3.

I had a 50W829 and recently replaced it with a C8 OLED. In most ways its a great leap forward, 4K with dolby vision, great built in apps, no viewing angle issues, much quicker operation.

No probs with motion on broadcast TV incl. sport and 60Hz PC/game content. The only time something is noticeable is panning on lower frame rate content - films for example.

But overall its a massive jump

OK ive got a choice to make

JL have refunded me to im free to get a tv from anywhere

So its the LG OLED55B8SLC

from maybe Richer Sounds for £970

or the Samsung UE65NU8000

from Richer Sounds for £1099

Ive read loads of reviews on both these and has got me worried on screen burn on the lg especially as tv is on every weekday 6am til 9am then 3pm til 10pm then at weekends it could be on 7am til 10pm

I feel im gonna miss out if i go for the samsung cos the LG is a great price

65" makes more sense given how much broadcast tv you watch.

You'd probably end up with burn-in with an oled.

The Samsung is a good price too, screen burn only a worry if you always are watching the same content, for example only 2-3 channels with the same logo in the corner and at regular intervals.
Maybe this helps you decide: OLED Burn In Risk

and also, I wrote about a common dilemma, choosing between higher end smaller TV and lower end larger TV here; Size matters

OK ive got a choice to make

JL have refunded me to im free to get a tv from anywhere

So its the LG OLED55B8SLC

from maybe Richer Sounds for £970

or the Samsung UE65NU8000

from Richer Sounds for £1099

Ive read loads of reviews on both these and has got me worried on screen burn on the lg especially as tv is on every weekday 6am til 9am then 3pm til 10pm then at weekends it could be on 7am til 10pm

I feel im gonna miss out if i go for the samsung cos the LG is a great price

You could also look at the Hisense U7A at 65":

Hisense U7A (H65U7AUK) Review

It's £899 at RS with a 6 year guarantee.

It just depends if you value HDR or not right now, if you don't then the U7A would be fine and you would save 200 quid in the process which you could then put towards a soundbar or AV receiver.

Right ive narrowed it down to two

Samsung UE65NU8000 HDR 1000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65" £1099 from Richer Sounds with 6 year warrenty

Sony Bravia KD55XF9005 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, £997 from Coop with free Sony 5 year gaurantee

Sill undecided but need to make a decision tonight so that i can use FEB40 voucher for £40 off at coop

Samsung UE65NU8000 HDR 1000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65" £909 from COOP , dont know if this is 1 or 2 year warrenty

Sony Bravia KD55XF9005 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, £889 from Coop with free Sony 5 year gaurantee

Just base it on how much you care about..

Motion - Sony
HDR - Sony
Smart TV - Samsung
Immersion - Samsung
HDMI connectivity (4x HDMI 2) - Samsung

Its a pretty easy decision once you break it down.

Seeing as you're so undecided and as your decision is only possible due to the fact that you are having a set replaced under warranty, I would go for the Sony given it comes with a 5 year guarantee compared to the Samsung 2 year at best.

Can I use the bracket /stand that came with my Sony 50KDL50W829?
Quick search finds this: Wall mounting - What are the VESA dimensions of my TV (2009-2016 models) | Sony UK that states the holes on your current TV are 200x100mm apart so unless your bracket also has holes 300x300mm apart and supports 18.2kg (Sony 55XF9005 weight) vs 14.8kf (old TV weight) you'll need a new one.

Any VESA bracket will work as long as it supports 300x300mm and 18.2kg. There are different designs based on what you want and how much weight they can hold.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom