Question Which Tv would be better LG 55NANO866NA 55 VS PHILIPS 58PUS9005/12

s93a

HI,

I am looking for a new tv around 55 - 60 inch, I will mostly use the TV for PS5 and watching football and movies. I have found 2 tv's that I can't decide between;
LG 55NANO866NA 55
PHILIPS 58PUS9005/12

PHILIPS 58PUS9005/12 - £510
I was looking at this mainly because of the Ambiilight led and it’s a little bigger at 58 inch but I’m not sure how the brightness, contrast and HDR compare to the LG.

LG 55NANO866NA 55 - £550
Was mainly looking at this because of the HDMI 2.1 but have just read on here, that there are compatibility issues with the hdmi 2.1 or something with the ps5. I have seen that people have been having issues with local dimming and that the tv doesn’t look great to watch in the dark. Is the screen really that bad and noticeable, it is quite cheap for a tv with hdmi 2.1 and 120hz so would it be worth the price.

Which of the 2 has the better screen and which would be the better option.

If you have any other recommendations my price range is between £500 - £600

Thanks for your help.

Lvrhs

At first, You need to choose if You want better picture quality or viewing angles. VA vs IPS

DanTastic

TVs for different purposes, both in the best guide here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

Decide on type of panel first and take choice from there.

If its mainly for gaming, see here: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

I was also looking at the above two TV's and would appreciate your views on them Dodge?

I see in your recommendations you put the Philip's in the low tier and the LG in the high tier. The cheapest I can see the Nano is £679 so if it drops to £550 as mention in the OP I guess that would be the one to go for?

Panel type, I dont really have a preference; most viewing will be from directly in front but there is a chair to the side which gets used.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I was also looking at the above two TV's and would appreciate your views on them Dodge?

I see in your recommendations you put the Philip's in the low tier and the LG in the high tier. The cheapest I can see the Nano is £679 so if it drops to £550 as mention in the OP I guess that would be the one to go for?

Panel type, I dont really have a preference; most viewing will be from directly in front but there is a chair to the side which gets used.
If you don't have a preference then you can go for the highest TV you can afford in the guide. The Nano models fill a bit of a niche since there's no mid tier VA type panel models with 120hz panels. The cheapest would be the 65" TCL C815.

DanTastic

Thanks for the advice.

Since posting that I have done a lot more research and I am looking at the 55U8. HDR is important because I have Sky Q ultra with Netflix and Prime. I know you would recommend a bigger screen but I dont have the budget for that, around this price would be the most I can go to.

The only thing that concerns me is I've read the backlight can turn off completely on dark screens making certain scenes of a movie unwatchable.

I read in one of your other posts that Hisence have a beta firmware, do you know if that fixes this issue?

Dodgexander

Once you reach 55" you start to open up better models like the Hisense.
The Hisense is the cheapest pathway to get a good HDR TV for as little money as possible.
It does have its share of problems, the same as every TV. If you are concerned about the backlight turning off during movies you should make sure you buy the TV from a reputable retailer so you can return it if you are unhappy.

Most TVs have some kind of complaint, from what I've read in the Hisense section the firmware has improved motion blur, but no mention from users at all of the backlight turning off even being a problem.

DanTastic

Once you reach 55" you start to open up better models like the Hisense.
The Hisense is the cheapest pathway to get a good HDR TV for as little money as possible.
It does have its share of problems, the same as every TV. If you are concerned about the backlight turning off during movies you should make sure you buy the TV from a reputable retailer so you can return it if you are unhappy.

Most TVs have some kind of complaint, from what I've read in the Hisense section the firmware has improved motion blur, but no mention from users at all of the backlight turning off even being a problem.

Well that's reassuring to know about the backlight. I will wait and see what happens on Friday but atm it's looking like the Hisense will be the one I go for.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom