Which TV would be best for my needs

DCFC79

Hi all.

As per this post here, my requirements

A soundbar but don't know which model yet nor do I know for sure I will need one.
Fire Stick and Chromecast (non 4k)
No BR player but I may buy in the future
Xbox One

Netflix, Now TV, Amazon Prime and Disney+
DVDs and Blu Rays (FHD & UHD)

I currently watch more on Netflix, Now rather than standard TV but if I do watch it then it would be SD or HD.

B/castTV Shows 5%
" Sport 20%
" Movies 0%
Streaming TV Shows & Movies 20%
DVDs 5%
HD Blu Rays 15%
UHD Blu Rays 15%
Games 20%

I can see I will get BT so BT TV.

Currently using a 32 Inch TV, I'm expecting to see better picture & sound, colours (Brighter too).
I'm a set and forget type.

Dark movie nights but a light on during the day if needed.

Order of importance
1. Cost
2. Blacks
3. Value
4. HDR Picture quality
5. Sound
6. Viewing angles
7. Shadow detail
8. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration)
9. Smart TV ease of use
10. Smart TV app selection
11. SDR Picture quality

TV related pet hates
  1. Motion blur
  2. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows.
  3. Motion stutter
  4. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
  5. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks.
  6. Raised blacks
  7. Reflective screens
  8. Colour banding. (warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity).
  9. Slow smart TV

Hope I've got this right. If Ive missed anything let me know.
Thanks for any advice.

I can see Ive got some research to do.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Screen size? Budget as you say cost is most important??

DCFC79

Screen size? Budget as you say cost is most important??

Hi

I was thinking 50 inch would be ideal.
Price, ideally under £500, I could squeeze a little more though.
Id also like to maybe future proof in terms of getting a series X but for my budget Im not sure its going to be possible

As I say current tv is 32 inch and I'm sat 2.5m away and to be honest its a little hard at times to see when gaming whats going on so I sit closer so I'm .5m away and I currently am sat at an angle so maybe 30 or 40 degrees.

1 thing I have noticed with the TV in use now is some content its very dark and whatever settings I change it makes no difference.

I would normally either go to the local RS store and John Lewis to view some sets but they are closed which is annoying.

Thanks

Last edited:

Clearandcolour

Hi

I was thinking 50 inch would be ideal.
Price, ideally under £500, I could squeeze a little more though.
Id also like to maybe future proof in terms of getting a series X but for my budget Im not sure its going to be possible

As I say current tv is 32 inch and I'm sat 2.5m away and to be honest its a little hard at times to see when gaming whats going on so I sit closer so I'm .5m away and I currently am sat at an angle so maybe 30 or 40 degrees.

1 thing I have noticed with the TV in use now is some content its very dark and whatever settings I change it makes no difference.

I would normally either go to the local RS store and John Lewis to view some sets but they are closed which is annoying.

Thanks
If 1st importance is,... : Cost !!

Then you have quite a list of,... demands !! So loose a lot of demands and the choice is easy !!
Fill in max 500 euro.. and you loose 90+ % of tv's.. And 10 seconds later the choice is made..

Dodgexander

Probably the 49" LG Nano86 / Nano 85 is the best you'll find with your requirements. If you can up the budget some more and want a VA panel instead the Sony 49" XH85 or XH91 series will get you better blacks and contrast at the expense of viewing angles.

These TVs should be average for bright conditions, and won't make the mark if you want to use HDR on the TV. For that you need to be looking at a 48" OLED or the Sony 49XH9505 LCD TV.

Clearandcolour

Probably the 49" LG Nano86 / Nano 85 is the best you'll find with your requirements. If you can up the budget some more and want a VA panel instead the Sony 49" XH85 or XH91 series will get you better blacks and contrast at the expense of viewing angles.

These TVs should be average for bright conditions, and won't make the mark if you want to use HDR on the TV. For that you need to be looking at a 48" OLED or the Sony 49XH9505 LCD TV.
I thought the XH91 is not in 49 inch or 50 inch !?

And I bought a 49 inch Sony XH8599 for my mother in december,.. With the expected better viewing-angles as (the) reason... But this was disappointing... Fot the rest the tv is okay for my mother..
In the shop this tv stood out for viewing angles.., between other tv's.. So I don't know how ??

And the lg nano 86 looks much darker dimmer in the shop !

I think you should/could look at a samsung 800 or q60t.

Dodgexander

I thought the XH91 is not in 49 inch or 50 inch !?
You're thinking of the XH90 which is a different model entirely. The XH85/XH91 is the same series.
And I bought a 49 inch Sony XH8599 for my mother in december,.. With the expected better viewing-angles as (the) reason... But this was disappointing... Fot the rest the tv is okay for my mother..
In the shop this tv stood out for viewing angles.., between other tv's.. So I don't know how ??
Its because the 49" version has a VA panel and all other sizes have IPS panels.
And the lg nano 86 looks much darker dimmer in the shop !

I think you should/could look at a samsung 800 or q60t.
Rule number 1 when shopping for a TV, never judge in a shop.

Clearandcolour

You're thinking of the XH90 which is a different model entirely. The XH85/XH91 is the same series.

Its because the 49" version has a VA panel and all other sizes have IPS panels.

Rule number 1 when shopping for a TV, never judge in a shop.
Yes, you're right,.. shopping in a shop is not good to judge,.. Besides this rule,.. also,.. don't depend on reading specs or reviews is 'Rule number 2'.... ! Maybe I would even call that rule nr 1.. !

And yes,.. the quest, if the 49" Sony XH 8599 is a VA panel or IPS.. I think it's something in between. It's not a VA panel,. and it's not an IPS panel,.. here in the Netherlands. On forhenad I had seen a polish review which "proved' that the xh8505 was a VA panel.. with very high contrast ratio's.
I won't claim that for the 8599 from my mother. But the viewing-angles are not real IPS either..

DCFC79

If 1st importance is,... : Cost !!

Then you have quite a list of,... demands !! So loose a lot of demands and the choice is easy !!
Fill in max 500 euro.. and you loose 90+ % of tv's.. And 10 seconds later the choice is made..

Yes I did expect this reply and I agree.

Cost is very important, I'm on a budget but do I have a TV I can use for the time being, I could maybe get a better idea of whats needed.

The comment I made earlier about some of the content being dark on the current set could be down to being sat at the wrong angle.

The whole thing about blacks not being true blacks I might not have a problem with.

What I will say is it doesn't have to be 50 inch, I see someone has posted an example of a 49inch which Id be open to, maybe even go as low as 45, as I say its something I can review at a later date.

From my list, Ill remove some
1. Cost
2. Blacks
3. Value
4. HDR Picture quality
5. Sound
6. Viewing angles
7. Shadow detail
9. Smart TV ease of use
11. SDR Picture quality

As long as it has Netflix and Prime, the rest wouldn't be important.
So that's 4 removed with a possible 5 leaving 6, I have no idea what Shadow Detail is, it might not even bother me.
Im not interested in using a web browser app, the OS just needs to run smoothly.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited:

DCFC79

Thanks for this.

Clearandcolour

Yes I did expect this reply and I agree.

Cost is very important, I'm on a budget but do I have a TV I can use for the time being, I could maybe get a better idea of whats needed.

The comment I made earlier about some of the content being dark on the current set could be down to being sat at the wrong angle.

The whole thing about blacks not being true blacks I might not have a problem with.

What I will say is it doesn't have to be 50 inch, I see someone has posted an example of a 49inch which Id be open to, maybe even go as low as 45, as I say its something I can review at a later date.

From my list, Ill remove some
1. Cost
2. Blacks
3. Value
4. HDR Picture quality
5. Sound
6. Viewing angles
7. Shadow detail
9. Smart TV ease of use
11. SDR Picture quality

As long as it has Netflix and Prime, the rest wouldn't be important.
So that's 4 removed with a possible 5 leaving 6, I have no idea what Shadow Detail is, it might not even bother me.
Im not interested in using a web browser app, the OS just needs to run smoothly.

Thanks for the reply
As I read you watch from an angle.. Mayeb you should look for a tv which can turn/swivel.. Or make a tv turn with a separate holder via vesa..
Philips 85 series are turnable.. And the 50 inch is va.. panel..
But the philips haev a silver bezel.. No black bezel.. I think I don't like that for watching. But when the tv is out.. it looks nicer.. Not like a black hole.

DCFC79

As I read you watch from an angle.. Mayeb you should look for a tv which can turn/swivel.. Or make a tv turn with a separate holder via vesa..
Philips 85 series are turnable.. And the 50 inch is va.. panel..
But the philips haev a silver bezel.. No black bezel.. I think I don't like that for watching. But when the tv is out.. it looks nicer.. Not like a black hole.

I currently do watch at an angle BUT Im hoping I can go to viewing it so its
directly in front of me or at least off centre.

DCFC79

Thought I would come back tot his, I am considering a Samsung UE50TU8000 or the UE50TU8500, the T8000 is more the price I was wanting to pay, both have 3 HDMI ports which is what I was after.

TU8000 is £449 and the 8500 is £549 at John Lewis.
There is also a 55inch in both models, not sure the extra 5 inch's is worth me spending the extra money.
What I need to do is find a suitable unit to put it on.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom