Which tv-tuner card for my htpc?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by benwi, Apr 23, 2002.

1. benwi

benwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting a tv-tuner card for my htpc since I want to be able to get a better picture when watching sports on my pt-ae100. I now use the composite input and that is far from good. Which card should I get or is there a better solution?

2. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What is your original source? If it is a set top box with a SCART socket then you can certainly improve on the image quality if your PC capture card supports S-video input.

I've put some info here on the web, you will need an RGB to s-video converter box to do this. but for the ultimate quality you want a PC digital TV card, I use the ITV digital version, but I have no real knowledge of the satellite equivalent. With one of these cards and a good source you can get to close to DVD quality on your projector. The problem is a lot of TV sources are quite poor quality, which you won't necessarily notice normally, but with a front projector it becomes painfully obvious.

As you will see on my web site, analogue TV tuner cards are not much good - I only have direct experience of the ATI Radeon AIW card, but from other info I have seen there is no analogue card available which is significantly better than an AIW - they are all much the same, and definitely well below the quality of a good TV.

3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For Free-To-Air channels nothing betters NOVA-T. It is significant improvement over any analogue TV card, especially on large projected screens.

4. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Benwi
    is u do decide u want a RGB-S-Video converter i have one forsale

regards

richard

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fatrich - if benwi is not interested I may be. How much are you looking for it?

Cheers

6. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Rogeralpine
    hi i think i have just sold it , i put it on the classifieds forum and it has provisionally gone for £25.00 inc post, if he backs out would u still be interested?

regards

richard

7. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's the right card for Digital Terrestrial TV, have U checked that your area is supposed to have coverage?

Even if it is you may still find you need a masthead preamp to get it to work well.