1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which TV to buy

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by arie_parie, Oct 28, 2003.

1. arie_parie

arie_parie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a new television set, but i'm not sure which one to buy.

My demand:
    1) widescreen
    2) 100Hz
    3) 82 cm screen (32")

People are telling me to buy a SONY, they seem to be a bit more expensive than PANASONIC, PHILIPS, ... but worth the extra cost. Is this true or just bullcrap?

PS: I'm new to this topic (been redaing it for a while, but this is my first post). Thanks in advance!

Piet (Belgium, Europe)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Bang & Olufsen???? Beovision 3 32"
    SOny are overpriced i would say panasonics PD30 depends on budget etc but B&O will be best PQ!

3. arie_parie

arie_parie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but B&O is a bit to expensive for my budget. BTW some people told me that B&O are the ones who are overprized, don't know what to believe any more :confused:

PS: I know this a difficult question, and that there are several "what's the best TV to buy' topics on this forum. But I REALLY don't want to buy something i'll regret later on...

4. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi arie_parie

What sort of budget do you have?

Is sound an issue?

I have a Sony and have been really happy with it. I think if you shop around a bit prices for Sony, Philiips, Panasonic seem to be similar, for similar specification models.

Paul :smoke:

5. arie_parie

arie_parie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My budget is about € 1100. Don't know how much the prices of television sets differ between Brittain and Belgium though. The Sony KV-32 FX 68 (seems to be rather popular in this forum) costs about € 1100. Sony televisions do seem to be more expensive than Panasonic and Philips sets in Belgium...

Sound isn't an issue. I'm using a surround set when watching DVD's, and I don't care much about sound quality when I'm looking to regular television programs.

Thanks!

EDIT:
    fyi: 1 GBP = 1.44 EUR (so $ 1100 is £ 764)

6. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    arie_parie: I'm from Belgium too and the difference in price with the UK can be enormous. Also compared to Germany, Belgium is worse off. I once heard part of the problem is that Belgium gets special NICAM-sets, while Germany doesn't. But that doesn't make that much sense.

I also suggest you take a look at http://www.kieskeurig.nl for some local reviews of these televisions, as well as some links to etailers. Try and avoid Vandenborre if you can. Had a bad customer service experience with them. If you're from around Antwerp, you could visit http://www.vanhavere.be for some really good advice and a very good selection. Mediamarkt in Antwerp has a huge selection of badly setup televisions.

7. arie_parie

arie_parie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info billygoat.

The price difference between Belgium and Germany is mainly due to the difference in VAT: 21% for Belgium and 16% for Germany I think.

I know the http://www.kieskeurig.nl website, but I don't really think the user reviews are worth to read; about everybody is very positive about the product they just bought. I'll take a look at the http://www.vanhavere.be website though!

If you want a good price, visit http://www.fransdesmet.be and fill in the form under "e-prijzen". After about 24 hrs they'll mail you a REALLY good deal!

8. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's only true to a certain extent. I was looking for a Panasonic TX32-PD30 and the cheapest I could find in Belgium was about 2000 euro, while in Germany, it could be had for 1500 euro, which is a bit more than 5% :(

IMHO it's a difference in consumer culture. Electronic equipment has always been cheaper abroad, but we've got cheaper clothes, food... I think Belgian retailers in electronics hardly discount from retail price, while it's almost standard practice abroad.

I'll try fransdesmet.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    B&O are expensive no doubt but expensive and overpriced are two different things!

10. arie_parie

arie_parie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that expensive and overpriced are two different things.
    Unfortunatelly my budget doesn' allow a B&O anyway.

Well, VAT does indeed only seem part of the problem.

now on-topic:
    I've narrowed my search to Philips and Sony (can get good deals on both). I can buy the Philips 32PW8506 for an extra nice price.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have always thought of B & O as overpriced - lumped into the same bracket as Bose et al.

I have always liked good quality 50Hz TVs

12. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked at Loewe.

Quality sets and are in your price range.

13. arie_parie

arie_parie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In Belgium they are not within my price range :(

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well go and look at an Avant 32 and tell me PQ is not the best you have ever seen.
    Arie parie philips is a good set and if you get an extra special deal just make sure that you can get any problems sorted out quickly by the supplier.