Which TV to buy: Pioneer PDP-LX508D / Sony KDL52X2000U / LG 60PF95 or 52LY95 ??

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by DTBK, Sep 3, 2007.

1. DTBK

DTBK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Not sure if it's proper etiquette to do so but given the strong opinions on both fronts (Plasma V's LCD) I've posted this message in both forum threads... I'm sorry in advance if this is incorrect and/or annoying to anybody.

I've currently got a 28" Toshiba TV (CRT) that I've been more than happy with.

Linked up to my Sony Sound System and my PS3 the sound and picture quality have been acceptable for sometime. But of course, since the arrival of my PS3 I've had this growing (considerably) nagging issue in the back of my head about upgrading my TV to a flat-screen, wall mounted (out of reach of my 2.5 year old old boy - not to mention my 3 week old who's gonna get tall enough to fiddle with the current TV just as the 2.5 year old cottons on that it's not the way to win Daddy over :rolleyes:) LCD or Plasma TV.

Anyhow, I spotted the the Sony Bravia KDL52X2000U in the local Sony Store displaying some kind of Fly-Fishing video and was blown away by the picture quality... at the time I'm sure it was approaching £5,000 for the TV, which I just can't stretch to, but another recent visit and it's down to £3999 and I've found it cheaper still (£2766.59) online.

I was almost ready to get my cheque book out - so to speak - and made the fatal mistake of looking to see what other models are around from different manufacturers... now my heads-a-spinning with facts, figures and pound signs and I can't make up my mind whether to go for the TV that I originally "fell in love with" or take the gamble and go for another make/model which by most accounts are fairly comparable but a little cheaper.

The models I'm considering, including the lowest prices I've found them for are:

Pioneer - PDP-LX508D - £3,176.85 (50")
    Sony - KDL52X2000U - £2,766.59 (52")
    LG - 60PF95 - £2,519.99 (60")
    LG - 52LY95 - £2,455.99 (52")

Apart from the rather emotional arguments I've been reading relating to whether to choose Plasma or LCD does anyone have any first-hand experience to call on and advise me accordingly which one may be the best to go for.

My requirements/conditions are as follows:

Budget: £2,500 to £3,000
    Screen: 50" plus
    Screen: 1080p
    Usage: Will replace main household TV (E.g. everyday use ranging from Movies (PS3 & Sky+ [not Sky HD yet]), Games (PS3) and the whole range of CBeebies, Boomerang, Disney Channel etc for Kids)

The reviews of individual sets that I've found are from HomeCinemaChoice.com and are as follows:

Pioneer - PDP-LX508D
    The review is of the 508XD. I understand the XD is 1080i but that the 508D is 1080p. Presumably the 1080p version is not going to be any worse than the 1080i version?

Ratings:
    Picture: *****
    Sound: ****
    Features: *****
    OVERALL: *****

Sony - KDL52X2000U
    The review is of the 46" version but presumably the 52" is going to be no worse?

Ratings:
    Picture: ****1/2
    Sound: ****
    Features: *****
    OVERALL: ****1/2

LG - 60PF95
    Ratings:
    Picture: *****
    Sound: ***1/2
    Features: ****
    OVERALL: ****1/2

LG - 52LY95
    No reviews found

These results obviously place the Pioneer Plasma (1080i) ahead of the Sony and LG (1080p's) which I'm assuming means the Pioneer Plasma 1080p will be superior still.

However... for some (possibly marketing influenced) reason I'm still drawn back to the Sony every time...

Que you guys... comments... suggestions... please?

Regards

David

2. BrownRevolution

BrownRevolution
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wanted to ask, where did you see the new pioneer LX-508 for that price. It's currently around 3300 at the few places I have seen online.

3. DTBK

DTBK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm - my mistake... could have sworn it was the 508D last night... but checking again tonight it's the 508XD (http://www.dixons.co.uk:80/martprd/product/PIONEER/PDP5080XD-TU/623716 )

Cheapest I've found this one for is £3176.85 (http://www.theplasmacentre.com/product_details.php?products_id=3208&menu=Filtered)

Sorry for the confusion

David

4. fico99

fico99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    David,

If your budget allows you, I would pick the PDP-LX508D.

The difference between a PDP-LX508D and a PDP-508XD is that the LX model has:
    - Full HD 1920 x 1080 panel resolution (instead of 1365 x 768)
    - REAL contrast of 20.000:1 (instead of 16.000:1)
    - REAL 1:1 pixelmapping at 24, 50 and 60 Hz with all advanced picture settings (drive mode, PureCinema, Manual Colourtemp, Colourmanagement, ...) still available (instead of just 1365 x 768 @ 60 Hz)

I haven't seen the new PDP-LX508D in the flesh yet, but I can imagine that this will be the new king of plasma that will destroy anything else out there. The former PDP-5000ex was already a cracking plasma, but was way too expensive, suffered severly from burn-in/retention and was not on par with the black levels / contrast ratio's of it's competitors.

IMHO, the PDP-LX508D will become the best plasma you can buy today. But if you think that it is still too expensive (like myself), I would also consider the Panasonic TH-50PZ70 which can, according to another AVForum member, also accept 24fps. Another option is the Samsung Full HD plasma PS50P96FDX, but I am afraid that it's overall PQ, just like the LG plasma's, still cannot compete with a Panny or Pio :rolleyes:

Also take a look at the new Samsung 81-series which are LCD panels with an LED backlight and a contrast ratio of >100.000:1 :eek:
    Future will tell if the overall PQ of these screens will be able to beat a Pioneer Full HD Kuro panel...:rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Fico