Which tv to buy? Budget £1600

digiwavez

Novice Member
Hey All,

I’m shopping around for a new TV and I’ve been struggling to pick one as it’s overwhelming with all the models. I’m sure came to the right place to get some expert advice :).

I’m ideally looking for a 75inch but I’m okay with 65 too.

I like to go for a OLED but it’s out of my Budget at the moment.

Been looking at Samsung Q80T / Sony XH95 in 65 inch not sure it’s the right time or should I wait until Black Friday so I may get OLED deal.

Any advise would be appreciated which TV and model I should look into.

Thanks 😊

Last edited:

tvdavid

in the same boat to miss out on the xh95 speaker deal again thought it would last longer.

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Hey All,

I’m shopping around for a new TV and I’ve been struggling to pick one as it’s overwhelming with all the models. I’m sure came to the right place to get some expert advice :).

I’m ideally looking for a 75inch but I’m okay with 65 too.

I like to go for a OLED but it’s out of my Budget at the moment.

Been looking at Samsung Q80T / Sony XH95 in 65 inch not sure it’s the right time or should I wait until Black Friday so I may get OLED deal.

Any advise would be appreciated which TV and model I should look into.

Thanks 😊
Definitely wait for more deals Black Friday onwards. Pricespy tends to show the best prices on previous years models are from Black Friday but often around, just after X'mas.

The XH95 is equal to the Q95/90. But probably wise to narrow down whether you want OLED or LCD as I'm sure you know both have pros and cons.

digiwavez

Novice Member
Ya I was tempted to go for the XH95 in JohnLewis it’s a shame the speaker deal is gone. Apparently the speaker is not that great so I wasn’t sure whether to go or not.

tvdavid

the 75 inch xh900 seems near your price right now.

digiwavez

Novice Member
Definitely wait for more deals Black Friday onwards. Pricespy tends to show the best prices on previous years models are from Black Friday but often around, just after X'mas.

The XH95 is equal to the Q95/90. But probably wise to narrow down whether you want OLED or LCD as I'm sure you know both have pros and cons.
The issue is my current TV is busted lol. Resisting till Black Friday is hard but I’m going to be patient.

Yes I know the burning issue with the Oled if I’m buying one will buy with burning warranty from JL.

any models for OLED that I can keep an eye?

For LCD Samsung or Sony?

I’m more of a movie and tv show person. I do gaming now and then.

Thanks

LCDseeker

The issue is my current TV is busted lol. Resisting till Black Friday is hard but I’m going to be patient.

Yes I know the burning issue with the Oled if I’m buying one will buy with burning warranty from JL.

any models for OLED that I can keep an eye?

For LCD Samsung or Sony?

I’m more of a movie and tv show person. I do gaming now and then.

Thanks
Can you beg/borrow a temporary set from someone? I also keep an old LCD in the loft just in case, and I bet someone you know has one lying around. Unfortunately prices still aren't great and could well fall a few hundred between now and Black Friday. But ultimately if you need to buy now, try haggle, you don't get if you don't ask.

I'm not aware of the Domestic and General policy through John Lewis having been tested yet. I keep getting slated for pointing it out, but there is a "neglect" clause in the policy cover but it doesn't stipulate was they deem to be neglect. Manufacturers of OLED's state that burn in wont occur unless a set is neglected and that is why they don't give a manufacturers warranty cover for burn in... so make of that what you will. I always buy from Richer Sounds as their customer service and after sales support is the best around.

IF I were buying an OLED at the moment I think I'd go for the new LG's and Sony's, or maybe one of last years Sony's if you can get one, they'll be a bargain. Had you asked me a few months ago I would have said the Panasonic but I've recently read some reports on here saying Panasonic aftersales care has been shocking, and also I've seen some awful tinting on their top end sets. LCD wise I'm sold on the XH95 as I've got one and love it. I'm not a fan of Samsung's but again lots love them so always worth checking out the Q95/90. They still don't support DV which is a massive error in my opinion as the DV/atmos on my Sony is superb.

digiwavez

Novice Member
the 75 inch xh900 seems near your price right now.
Ya I’m think of that too. But not sure xh90 is a good for movies and tv shows comparing xh95. I’d like a 75 inch but I don’t want to compromise in quality 😉. Not sure what to do lol.

digiwavez

Novice Member
Can you beg/borrow a temporary set from someone? I also keep an old LCD in the loft just in case, and I bet someone you know has one lying around. Unfortunately prices still aren't great and could well fall a few hundred between now and Black Friday. But ultimately if you need to buy now, try haggle, you don't get if you don't ask.

I'm not aware of the Domestic and General policy through John Lewis having been tested yet. I keep getting slated for pointing it out, but there is a "neglect" clause in the policy cover but it doesn't stipulate was they deem to be neglect. Manufacturers of OLED's state that burn in wont occur unless a set is neglected and that is why they don't give a manufacturers warranty cover for burn in... so make of that what you will. I always buy from Richer Sounds as their customer service and after sales support is the best around.

IF I were buying an OLED at the moment I think I'd go for the new LG's and Sony's, or maybe one of last years Sony's if you can get one, they'll be a bargain. Had you asked me a few months ago I would have said the Panasonic but I've recently read some reports on here saying Panasonic aftersales care has been shocking, and also I've seen some awful tinting on their top end sets. LCD wise I'm sold on the XH95 as I've got one and love it. I'm not a fan of Samsung's but again lots love them so always worth checking out the Q95/90. They still don't support DV which is a massive error in my opinion as the DV/atmos on my Sony is superb.
Thanks for the update mate.

I don’t have a spare but I’m thinking of using my computer screen 😂.

I’ll be patient till the Black Friday. JL is currently giving £100 voucher which brings down the XH95 65inch to £1399. Do you think it will drop even more?

Any thoughts in XH90 where I can buy a 75 which falls under my budget.

LCDseeker

I don’t have a spare but I’m thinking of using my computer screen 😂.

I’ll be patient till the Black Friday. JL is currently giving £100 voucher which brings down the XH95 65inch to £1399. Do you think it will drop even more?

Any thoughts in XH90 where I can buy a 75 which falls under my budget.
Just think of the money you will save....but I feel your pain with the computer screen! lol

I suspect the XH95 might drop to around the £1200 mark. I think briefly that XG95 fell even lower last year but it was nearer to Christmas from my memory when I checked on pricespy.

No idea about tracking down the 75" but I always message my local Richer Sounds and ask for their best price. They'll also price match or beat any legit shop price.

benny5

I think the JL voucher scheme extends to 2/11/20, so if you purchase just before the expiry date you may then qualify retrospectively for any BF reductions. Just a thought.

Dodgexander

Only TVs that aren't overpriced right now are 2019 models (near impossible to find new, but maybe refurb/ex display) or the new Hisense models.

But even the Hisense models will get some reduction. Its just a bad time to buy now, and makes it impossible to recommend any 2020 models yet like the Sony XH9505 or XH9005. Lets see what happens come black friday.

If you have no choice but to buy now, you'll have to accept you'll pay more to have the time and sooner than Black Friday. Some shops may offer to refund your purchase if its reduced closer to the TV, so look out for those deals being advertised. Richer and John Lewis both did that last year.

So if you can hold on, hold on. It's not that long now.

Last edited:

ALMO T

Novice Member
I am in the same boat as you. I have just paid £1629 inc deliery with 5 year warranty for the Sony HX90 75" from Costco. I was tempted to wait for black Friday but there is no stock at JL or Currys and seeing as RS want £1799 I can't see the price dropping more than what I paid if at all. Costco offer a 90 day no quibble return so if it does have a big drop I can always return it. If you are not a member it is £15 to join. As a rule the offers are usually for low end TVs or stock they can't shift. So the HX90 doesn't fall into that bracket, Sony are pushing it for next gen consoles due to the HDMI 2.1 update coming soon.

Dodgexander

I can't see the price dropping more than what I paid if at all.
I wouldn't count on that. There's quite a bit of cost-cutting on the XH90 compared to the XF90 it replaces. So far its been selling for less, not because its a better TV, but because the margins are higher. I expect generally the TV to demand a much lower price given the apparent cost-savings Sony made with it.

ALMO T

Novice Member
I wouldn't count on that. There's quite a bit of cost-cutting on the XH90 compared to the XF90 it replaces. So far its been selling for less, not because its a better TV, but because the margins are higher. I expect generally the TV to demand a much lower price given the apparent cost-savings Sony made with it.
Yeah I know we are both guessing but with a price drop off £600 on the original price and at £1629 compared with £1799 I guess it won't be much. Either way you can send it back if you think it bothers you so nothing to lose. The junk Amazon price dropped today shows they want to shift budget stuff. If you want the big warranty you are limited to where you can buy from as well.

Dodgexander

Yeah I know we are both guessing but with a price drop off £600 on the original price and at £1629 compared with £1799 I guess it won't be much. Either way you can send it back if you think it bothers you so nothing to lose. The junk Amazon price dropped today shows they want to shift budget stuff. If you want the big warranty you are limited to where you can buy from as well.
Quite the contrary actually, the sales tend to be biggest on higher tier models, usually 55" and 65" in the UK. 75" and other sizes see less of a discount generally because there's less competition. We will see what happens, but its rare that buying a TV this time of year is good value, especially compared to clearance discounts in spring.

ALMO T

Novice Member
Quite the contrary actually, the sales tend to be biggest on higher tier models, usually 55" and 65" in the UK. 75" and other sizes see less of a discount generally because there's less competition. We will see what happens, but its rare that buying a TV this time of year is good value, especially compared to clearance discounts in spring.
Yeah I know spring is the best time discount wise but I wouldn't be able to buy last year's model without regretting it later. I can't wait until black Friday as I have an empty space on the wall right now. Worst case I use the 90 return so no risk to me.

MikiDonald

Novice Member
Same question here.
For me: movies > tv shows; light gaming. Other family members: tv shows > movies.
Viewing distance 3m.
65" CX 1900€
75" XH90 1750€

LCDseeker

Same question here.
For me: movies > tv shows; light gaming. Other family members: tv shows > movies.
Viewing distance 3m.
65" CX 1900€
75" XH90 1750€
I'd always get the largest screen possible BUT the CX will give you the best picture quality.

Dodgexander

Same question here.
Viewing distance 3m.
65" CX 1900€
75" XH90 1750€
You really should compare the XH9505 or ZH9 to the CX. The XH9005 is a lower spec TV aimed primarily at non-HDR users.

digiwavez

Novice Member
Only TVs that aren't overpriced right now are 2019 models (near impossible to find new, but maybe refurb/ex display) or the new Hisense models.

But even the Hisense models will get some reduction. Its just a bad time to buy now, and makes it impossible to recommend any 2020 models yet like the Sony XH9505 or XH9005. Lets see what happens come black friday.

If you have no choice but to buy now, you'll have to accept you'll pay more to have the time and sooner than Black Friday. Some shops may offer to refund your purchase if its reduced closer to the TV, so look out for those deals being advertised. Richer and John Lewis both did that last year.

So if you can hold on, hold on. It's not that long now.
Yes it’s not long now. I’m going to wait for Black Friday. Hope the stock lasts.

digiwavez

Novice Member
I am in the same boat as you. I have just paid £1629 inc deliery with 5 year warranty for the Sony HX90 75" from Costco. I was tempted to wait for black Friday but there is no stock at JL or Currys and seeing as RS want £1799 I can't see the price dropping more than what I paid if at all. Costco offer a 90 day no quibble return so if it does have a big drop I can always return it. If you are not a member it is £15 to join. As a rule the offers are usually for low end TVs or stock they can't shift. So the HX90 doesn't fall into that bracket, Sony are pushing it for next gen consoles due to the HDMI 2.1 update coming soon.
It sounds good. I might looking into the Costco deal and like the idea of 90 days returns too.

computershack

Do you watch nothing but the news channel? If that's the case then you don't want OLED. For everyone else it's not an issue. If I've not got it on an OLED that is three years old used sometimes 20hrs a day on a weekend and when I'm on days off and which has had regular 6-8hr gaming sessions of the same game on then someone who uses it for normal mixed viewing isn't going to have a problem either.

computershack

Get it mended then. Won't cost anything like £1600.
This. Did my son's 2018 Panasonic LED when water came in through the TV aerial coax and it went bang. Took the back off, saw it was two circuit boards, one for the TV bit, the other for the power supply. I bought a replacement mainboard off Ebay for a whole £8.99 delivered and swapped it over. It's just simple plugs and connectors and it took longer to take all the chuffing screws out of the back than to change the board.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett