Question Which tv should I go with?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by SamFisher, Aug 7, 2018.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    The Panasonic is best. Alternative would be the Hisense 50N6800. Both are equal.

Try to get the largest TV you can get if you plan on utilising uhd. You need your eyes glued to even a larger TV to see a difference and you'll want to see a difference if it means you have to game at a lower frame rate in some titles.

This advice assumes that you don't need wide viewing angles. If you do you'll have to look at inferior TVs for picture quality to get a better picture at an angle.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, thank you for your reply.

Sadly it seems the Hisense is out of stock everywhere I look! In regards with the Panasonic, there are two models: 2017 and 2018. Is there massive difference between those two? 2018 model at 55" is available on amazon.

Also Philips with those Ambilight is very tempting.
    is there any other TVs you may suggest? Panasonic 2017 is only 50" :-( though I don't mind 50" for my bedroom, but you said go for bigger sizes.

viewing angles are not a problem as I am getting a flexible TV Wall Bracket.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    There's a big difference between the new Panasonic FX and EX range, they use IPS panels this year.

Look at the 58EX700 but it probably will be out of stock.

If you want 55" go for the Hisense U7A.

Philips 50" is good value if you don't mind losing the wide colour gamut and having a smaller screen. Wide colour gamut=better colours with HDR.

You could wait to purchase for more options, right now most new models are overpriced having not long been released.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You sir, deserve a medal for helping us all in this forum. Thanks.
    Thanks to you I am thinking of 55" now rather than 50".
    Hisense seems to have lots of good reviews (so does the Philips).
    Philips 55" : £599
    Hisense U7A 55": 699

Which one would you go with? I've heard Ambilight is really fun and good for watching movies. I cant make my mind :-(

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Well, thanks! But I am not sure about that :p I enjoy it.
    The Hisense is technically the superior TV at 55", 120hz panel and a wide colour gamut which the Philips lacks.

Hisense' pricing is more aggressive this year so I think at £600 the Philips is priced too high, it should be closer to the £450 mark in my opinion. You need to look at the Philips 8 series TVs to be same spec to the Hisense. I also don't know how accurate the image will be out of the box, the Hisense review on AVF scored well in this area which is very important given I doubt spending as much as this you will spend an extra few hundred getting professional calibration.

Ambilight is a gimmick feature, you can set it to a natural white bias light which is good for relieving eye strain and making blacks appear darker but you can always add your own bias lighting to any TV anyway. Not sure how fun it is when it changes colour etc but it certainly doesn't add anything to the raw picture quality.

Edit* Also I wouldn't pay a £100 more compared to this on the Hisense: HISENSE H55U7AUK 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

I also probably wouldn't buy from Currys either though, so try to get a price match elsewhere if you can.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any reasons why I should avoid Currys? I never bought anything from them tbh, but it seems they have the cheapest price for the Hisense. RicherSounds has it for £629 with 6 years guarantee. The rest are just more expensive.

I will go with Hisense (is it better than the Panasonic?), thanks for all the information and the help you provided. I really appreciate it.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    It is better than the Panasonic. I don't buy from Currys due to customer service/aftersales. Don't really trust them compared to other retailers.