Which TV should I buy

Which TV should I buy

• Total voters

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
I am on the hunt for a new TV due to my 46" Series 4 Samsung is starting to show its age and not performing as it once did. I am disabled and unable to actually get out and view Televisions at a retailer and rely on the internet for research and purchasing

I have around £1k to spend on a new TV so was considering the Samsung 55H6400. I have Sky HD (so could have a 3D source although not necessarily important) connected to the internet for on-demand. I also have an XB1 and PS4 (as well as my XB360 and PS3) for gaming. I also have a Samsung home theatre system too. Therefore 4 HDMi inputs are important. I watch a lot of Football (soccer) so a fast refresh rate to stop the motion 'judder' is needed. I also need it to be Wall Mountable.

I know it's not a 55" TV but I am also considering the Samsung 48HU7500 as it is a 4k 3D TV with 4 HDMi 2.0 ports (better than on the 6400) and its wall mountable too. As it has a 4k panel, I would think it would give a better picture and be more versatile and future-proof - capable of displaying pretty much any media (HD, UHD and 3D) but it is pushing my budget a little beyond comfortable @ £1100 (cheapest I have seen). It also scores very well in all reviews. It seems similar to the H6400 but with a higher resolution panel. I couldn't afford the extra screen size of 55" H7500 though but could get the 55" H6400

Being disabled I am unable to go to stores to view these sets and to do comparisons. I know very little about 3D although I do know the difference between passive and active but couldn't tell you which gives a better viewing experience. I do have access to a 3D channel as well as gaming in 3D too so could use this function. I am not overly bothered by smart functions at the moment (mainly due to never using them) as I have Sky's on demand as well as my consoles for any catch up options. I tend to Series plan and record most TV shows I watch anyway and never struggle to find something to watch. I do game a lot on my consoles but not necessarily always fast paced MP twitch shooters and any new TV is going to be an improvement over my series 4 in terms of Lag.

I don't have an outdoor standard aerial either - like I said all my TV viewing is done via Sky so if these TV's require an aerial for the smart or viewing options then they won't be used. I have all the freeview channels on Sky anyway.

I am not sure I would buy an LG due to past experiences. I have a positive opinion on Samsung and I feel that Sony are 'over-priced' by comparison as their products are generally not as well specced as others in that price range but do think they are generally well made.

Any TV I buy, I expect to last at least 5years and be capable of coping with the technology of the time. Its this reason I am considering a 4k as this could grow over that time frame although at the moment I don't have any 4k material to use. I am not sure if a 4k TV though would give a better picture with standard HD sources (i.e Sky HD - BTSports and BBC (I think) broadcast in 1080p although Sky is still 720p) and obviously games can be 1080p too. Any 'dead' pixels though would be far less noticeable...

My Series 4 has a great picture but does struggle with motion judder watching football and its also starting to be a little problematical - I get lines when switching to a different HDMi input (only my PS4 one) and once had no 'picture' but could just make out the PS4 dashboard faintly. It also wouldn't switch on once. Turning the power off, waiting a few seconds and then turning on again as so far fixed these but I feel time is running out. I have had it for 6-7 years, moved twice and used daily for many many hours. I would rather replace it now, than wait until it finally does give up.

In terms of size, the 48" would probably be slightly smaller than my current TV overall due to the bezel (around 2") but would still be slightly larger viewing overall. I could fit a 55" screen - even larger on the wall (its an external wall - not stud) and I sit around 8ft away and square on. Is the 7500 a better buy overall - better screen etc or is the extra size (55") of the 6400 more likely to be the best option? If not one of these 2, what other TV should I consider. I know the John Lewis branded LG (55JL9000) is cheap currently at £650 - nearly half the price of the HU7500 although not sure if it is wall mountable due to the soundbar stand and it is an LG. I also know that probably most TV's would be an improvement in terms of refresh rates, gaming lag and possibly picture too although I do think my Series 4 has a very good image with good blacks too - especially after I calibrated it

Like I said I am disabled and with other health issues I am unable to get out and view these sets personally. I am restricted to internet researching and purchasing so rely on sites like this for help and advice.

Thank you in advance

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
The samsung 55HU6900 seems to get pretty good reviews and is under budget too.
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...80?tmcampid=51&tmad=c&s_pccid=pc_pr_200_40000

I looked at that one but it doesn't review as well as the other 2 sets I mentioned. I have heard there is an issue with sound lag too and is more 'budget' in terms of quality but that's just what I read. Part of the problem with research on the internet is that you get some mis-information. I had considered this at one point as it looks like the 7500 but without 3D but I like I said the 'information' led me to believe this was very much a budget set and not as good as getting the 6400 even though it has 4k. Image quality, refresh rates etc... It does seem a good price though

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
If you are not bothered by 4K then yes the samsung 55H6400 would be an excellent choice.

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
I kind of want a 4k TV though as I think the panel would be better - even for 1080p input. Also any dead pixels will be less noticeable too. Ideally I want 4k and 3D just for the versatility and because its something I have not had. If I had to compromise on one of these, I think I would rather give up 3D as the 4k screen would be more beneficial - I think...

I was looking on Currys today and noticed a couple more TV's added to their range - UE48JU6400 and UE48JU6445 both 48" 4k TV's but with slightly different refresh rates. One is 900 PQI and the other is 1000 PQI. I have no idea what this means though. I have never heard of PQI in terms of TV refresh rates. Neither of these sets have 3D and are cheaper (still over £1k)

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member

Well that throws another spanner in the works. I am a little concerned about the power unit being outside the TV and its much lower refresh rate - 200hz compared to Samsungs 1000hz. According to a forum on WhatHiFi asking about which TV to buy between this and the 7500, all responses say the Samsung has a better picture and most even backlight amongst all LED TVs, besides better motion and deeper blacks. The Sony would probably be better for gaming though and is £76 cheaper than the Samsung.

Still unsure what PQI actually means - is 1 PQI equivalent to 1hz? Is it better?

As soon as I think I know which TV and the Specs relate too - something else crops up to make me doubt my decision...

vickster

Distinguished Member
I don't know what it's like, but there'll be a long owner thread in the main LCD forum and probably a review on here, but it is in budget with warranty, 3D and 4k. Sony have low lag generally

The refresh rates quoted are just numbers from processing, it's not the panel. They may or may not have a positive effect on the picture.

Fake Refresh Rates Conversion: Samsung Clear Motion Rate vs Sony MotionFlow vs LG Motion Clarity Index

That's a US site but the sentiment holds

I think PQI = Picture Quality Index. Seems to be a made up terms from Samsung this year
How's your French? Définition de Picture Quality Index (PQI) (Samsung)

Last edited:

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
I appreciate the link and help. Like I said its thrown another spanner into the mix so to speak - another one to consider...

I know it would still be a lot better than my current TV (but then so would many) and for the price it certainly is within budget. I would push my budget to around £1100 though IF the extra spend is worth it. It seems that the Sony does review well but in general not as highly as the Samsung. Doing a search it seems the Sony is averaging around 3.5/5 compared to 4.7/5 with HU7500. I am yet to see anything negative about the Samsung (apart from its size for a 4K - that its too small to be beneficial). I know the Sony though will be better for gaming and fits everything I wanted - 4 HDMi's, wall mountable and versatile (3D, 4K). Its refresh rate though appears to be a quarter of the Samsungs and as I watch a lot of sports, I do find the judder on my current set annoying - I know this would still be an improvement though.

I was edging more towards the HU7500 until you posted this link and now I am not so sure...

I do like the look of the new Series 9 Samsung SUHD sets but they are way out of my price range...

vickster

Distinguished Member
Can you get the Samsung with a free extended warranty? That would certainly sway my decision. But I'm not that particular about PQ, preferring peace of mind. I like a good deal from a strong reliable retailer like John Lewis ultimately

Buy from somewhere with a good, straightforward returns policy, then you can send back if not satisfied (BUT bear in mind there is no perfect TV at any price for every use)

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Their is the HU7200 a slightly lesser model, but I couldn't tell you if it is any good or not.

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Well I have a little more money saved now so could push my budget a little further. I am now considering the 55" HU7500 - I have found this for less than £1500 (with a standard 12month Warranty). I know this is still a LOT of money but it is something I use daily and quite important to me. I use my TV for many hours daily so if I get 5 years worth of use, it works out at £300 a year, less than a £ a day for something that gets used a LOT - Maybe just my way of justifying it...

I don't know of any 4K 55" 3D TV that meets my criteria (wall mountable, min 4 HDMi inputs, high refresh rate etc) that consistently reviews as well as this set for the price. I don't want 'curved' either although that seems to add to the cost. With the new range of sets coming in I may be able to get this even cheaper - especially if I negotiate with an extended 5yr Warranty.

My current set is a Samsung that I have had for over 5years and its been superb and very reliable (until the last month - but even that can be resolved by turning the power off and on again). I expect it will go to the bedroom as soon as a replacement is bought. It never had any issues during the first 5yrs of its life so not sure if a 5yr Warranty is worth it. Most problems occur within the first year but maybe a 3year Warranty would be adequate just in case something does go wrong after 13months. I think if its been problem free for 3years its likely to last 5years....

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Well opted to buy the 55" HU7500 - £1599 with 5year warranty - also comes with a wireless multiroom Samsung Speaker... Hopefully it will live up to expectation...

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
How are you finding the HU7500? im debating one though am on the fence

So far I am really liking the quality of the picture. I am probably not the best person to ask overall about this TV as I don't have access to 4k TV - like Netflix, rarely (if ever) use the smart functions, never use the inbuilt tuner as all my TV is viewed through a Sky HD box. I use it more as a 'monitor' with Sky handling my TV and Consoles (XB1/PS4) handling my gaming. Its all external sources so not really using the TV to its maximum.

Picture is excellent, sound is adequate but I can use a bluetooth speaker or home theatre if I want more but often just use these when watching a film.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom