• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which TV should i buy?

JonBoi

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying my first place and really want to get my home cinema set up in the right way.

I currently have a 23" samsung TV, however this will need to go as will look like a postage stamp when all moved in as viewing distance will be almost 5 metres. So here is the first question...what TV should i get? Have been looking around and really can't make up my mind. Loving the new LED TVs, but cost is a premium. I'm thinking that a 40, 42 or 46" screen size would be ideal. Whats everyones opinion?

Secondly, i am planning to have the TV wall mounted, however being an internal wall it is only stud so concerned about weight. Is there anything i can do to the wall to help? Have thought about subsetting it (floating). Whats usually the right sor tof viewing angle?

Sorry for the all the questions and as you can tell i am a newbie so grateful of any advice.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JonBoi

Standard Member
any help please guys? :confused:

Thing i am gonna look at 40" tv. What would be a good buy in this size?

Budget £900 at most

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sony 40W5500 or the Samsung 40b650 (or look at the Samsung LEDs based on size)

JonBoi

Standard Member
As i get a bit of a discount with Sharp and Panasonic, is there anything worth considering with them?

Also, on a different topic people are talking about the Toshiba Regza. Are these any good?

Last edited:

audiphile76

Prominent Member
For size above 40", Panasonics are better in plasmas. I have never considered a Sharp so i dont know how they are.

Last edited:

JonBoi

Standard Member
Would i be better off looking at a plasma in that size then?

The TV feeds will be SD, Blu-ray, Wii and HD (once i can sort out Feesat or Sky :rolleyes:)

I'm planning on having the TV wall mounted at a distance about 3-3.5m away from sofa. Am concerned about viewing angle once get tv mounted, but then also concerned TV is not too heavy for mounting on a stud wall :rolleyes:

Sorry for all the questions just really want to make sure i get a decent TV rather than a compromise.

JonBoi

Standard Member
Guys, have just recieved an email for a Sharp LC42DH77E for £599 instead of £1199. Spec is as follows:

Screen size (inches) 42
HD technology HD Ready 1080p
Picture engine Trident
Screen resolution (pixels) 1920 x 1080
Widescreen format 16:9
Dynamic Contrast Ratio 50,000:1
Brightness (cd/m2) 450
100Hz Yes
E-motion (Dejuddering) Yes
Digital Comb Filter (3D-Y/C) Yes
Full 10-bit Signal Processing Yes

Its also scored quite well on reviews at reevoo, oever wanted to see what other people think. Any idea what this is like compared to the Sony and Samsung mentioned above or even the Panny Plasmas?

Mod Comment: images removed, don't hotlink to images from sites you do have permission to do so from

Last edited by a moderator:

duncfunk

Prominent Member
5 meters :eek:

That's a big viewing distance, a 40 or 42" is going to look very small (I view my 42" from 11 feet that's pushing it!). If you can get a discount on Panasonic then a 50G10 plasma should come into budget (retail at just under £1000). This set would be the obvious choice for you requirements imo.

JonBoi

Standard Member
Guys, i have just had a quote back from a local home cinema company and they have given me a price for supplying a tv and new front speakers with all cables and installation. The TV they have quoted for is the Panny P42S10B. How good is this tv?

duncfunk

Prominent Member
Steer clear of the S10, it's the black sheep of the current line up as it uses last years Vreal3 processing. The G10 is a much better tv and should only be an extra £100 or so. The 42S10 sells for around £650 but the 42G10 is as low as £710 un some places. What price did they quote you?

audiphile76

Prominent Member
Both panels are basically the same. B is british version.

JonBoi

Standard Member
Sorry forgot to say quote i got was:

Panny P42S10 - £850
Panny BD60 - £200
SMS Wall bracket (Large) - £145
B&W VM1 Speakers (Fronts + Centre) - £450
Cables - £92
Installation - £140
Total - £1877

I've already done some shopping around and can get that tv and blu-ray combo for less than the quoted price for the TV

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom