Which TV should I buy? PQI?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by drones92, Jul 15, 2015.

1. drones92

drones92
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, first post here!

Looking to buy a new TV, that I will mainly be using for watching Blu-Rays, streaming video services, and playing games on the Playstation 4. I play a lot of online games and need a suitable TV with low input lag. I don't care much for it being a Smart TV either. I previously had a Samsung UE32H5000 but unfortunately it broke.

I have been looking for a replacement, and I'm interested in the Samsung UE32J5100 32" LED TV. I can't seem to find much information or detailed reviews on the product though. It just lists it as having a PQI rating, but I don't know how that translates to exact specifications. I've tried calling local retailers but they didn't know, and suggested I ring Samsung themselves.

So, my questions are:
    1) Would this TV be a good fit for me? I need low input lag and high refresh rate, with true HD 1920x1080.
    2) What is PQI and how does it translate to refresh rate? My old Samsung TV had a 50 Hz refresh rate and that seemed fine. Wondering if the new product is equal to or better.

If there are any TVs that might fit the bill for what I'm looking for in a similar (£250-£300) price range that anyone can recommend, I'd gladly take a look at them.

Thanks for any help :)

2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,916
    I don't think anyone knows.

3. BM08

BM08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I've never understood people who say I need a TV for gaming, the biggest factor of lag in online gaming is down to Internet quality and speed

4. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,760
  5. drones92

drones92
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank your for the link. I had already read it and it doesn't seem to help. I understand what goes into the rating, but I have no idea what any specific value means, other than that 500 is 'better' than 400. Just seems to be an arbitrary number.

6. Nakatsu_Hime

Nakatsu_Hime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I bought a new TV yesterday, and was confronted by PQI.
    As a Hz kind of gal, I felt a rug being pulled from under my feet and - after a long conversation with a really nice man at Currys (who actually knew his stuff) - I realised that yes, it is a rather abitary rating.
    It's a 'How nice the picture looks' rating. Highly subjective in my opinion.

No-one seems to advertise input-lag figures any more. Is this because they sell on the post-processing features, which gives piss-poor input-lag?
    Perhaps most reputable TV brands now use LCD panels and other major components from the same pool of manufacturers, so overall base quality is no longer such a moving target.

The best TV in my opinion is one that does all I need and looks impressive with minimal post-processing activated.

7. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,916
    I think because it is of interest to gamers and they used it with all the processing switched off.

8. Welshys

Welshys
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wondering if you actually ended up purchasing the UE32J5100?

Trying to find out what actual differences in picture quality there is between this and the UE32J5500 and cant seem to find any. I'm not interested in any of the smart features of the UE32J5500 and just want something for light gaming.

Thanks

9. Old Bones

Old Bones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    According to the Samsung website, the J5100 has a PQI of 200, and the J5500 has 300. I hate the whole PQI thing, and looking at the two, they look pretty much the same panel to me, but Samsung says the J5500 is slight better.

10. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    He's not talking about latency, he said input lag, the delay between him inputting something on the controller and the time it takes to register on screen

11. profquatermass

profquatermass
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PQI is a made up number by the manufacturer. It takes various aspects of the television, and presents this total as PQI.
    Without knowing what and how these aspects are applied, it's totally meaningless.

So my advise is to ignore it. If the manufacturer or seller can't tell you the actual technical details of the television then don't buy it.

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,412
    I would avoid the 5 series Samsung TV's. Heard many a story about people finding they have poorer quality panels.

Best buy TV in that price range is the Samsung UE32J6300, it's curved only though if that bothers you.

I would stay clear of anything else cheaper new just because you're likely to receive a dodgy panel. Even the low end Panasonics are manufactured by vestel.

Edit* you would actually be better off going for a cheap 40 inch set like the Hisense LTDN40K321UWTSE at least you know it will have a good panel.

New TV's are being released at the moment too and were patiently awaiting reviews, it's anyone's guess how good the budget 2016 models will fair.

Edit 2 # just seen richer sounds are doing the 2014 40 inch Samsung h6400 for £350. 2 years old but still an award winning TV with a 6 year warranty to boot. They have the 32 inch version for the same price but maybe you can get them to give you a better deal if you need that size instead.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016